8. Goshen - 98

9. Bloomington South - 72

10. Richmond - 69

Semi-States

1. Evansville Reitz - 382

2. New Castle - 367

3. Merrillville - 336.5

4. Woodlan - 257

With all of the talk about carrying points through, from sectionals to the state finals, it would be interesting to see who would win such a competition.

I may try to figure out Bellmont and Yorktown's scores. I don't have access too enough information to see where Crown Point and EMD would have come out.

With all of the talk about carrying points through, from sectionals to the state finals, it would be interesting to see who would win such a competition.

I may try to figure out Bellmont and Yorktown's scores. I don't have access too enough information to see where Crown Point and EMD would have come out.

With Team State being gone next year, apparently. An idea I've been pondering, for next year, is advancing just the highest scoring team. For example, whoever wins sectionals advances to regionals, for the team aspect. So you'll have the 2 sectional champions battling for a team title at individual regionals. Then at individual semi-state, you'll have the 4 regional champions battling for a team title. Then at individual state, you'll have the 4 semi-state champions going for the state title.

I think this would allow for the actual better teams to keep advancing. And you wouldn't have to worry about an Indian Creek winning a team title. (Not trying to downplay their achievement this past weekend. But we know they aren't the 2nd best team in the state.)

It's a logical idea but it still has the problem of state qualifiers coming into State with zero, and teams with the best 3-4 studs determining the team title.  Example:  one champ=24 team points; two 4th placers=24 points; eight 8th placers=24 points; 14 non-placing qualifiers=0 points.  The scoring is skewed toward the top and discounts team depth.

It would be a big improvement to carry forward team scores from sectional or regional forward through semi-state.  Some sectionals and even regionals are stronger than others but the distortion is less than not counting them at all.  The problem here is that there is no precedent for carrying scores forward.  Track and field comes to mind.  Only points at State count historically.

It's a logical idea but it still has the problem of state qualifiers coming into State with zero, and teams with the best 3-4 studs determining the team title.  Example:  one champ=24 team points; two 4th placers=24 points; eight 8th placers=24 points; 14 non-placing qualifiers=0 points.  The scoring is skewed toward the top and discounts team depth.

It would be a big improvement to carry forward team scores from sectional or regional forward through semi-state.  Some sectionals and even regionals are stronger than others but the distortion is less than not counting them at all.  The problem here is that there is no precedent for carrying scores forward.  Track and field comes to mind.  Only points at State count historically.

I know it's not the perfect way to determine a team title. I'd much prefer to have a team series. However, I think the writing is on the wall with the cutting of team state for next year. I think we should start preparing for an alternative solution now. At least with my idea, you'll have only the best teams from sectionals moving on. And not worrying about an average team with a handful of studs taking home the crown. Just my 2 cents.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.