C'mon, Coach, What are you doing?

HOF93

100% sure I stated in my last comment that I didn't have a solution. And yes the liability issue is there cause the #1 rule for an official that I learned when I was 11 years old from some of the best referees in this country (Clark, Errett, etc...) was protect the wrestler...

Here is a solution:  consider not being able to breathe, whether due to some affliction or lack of conditioning, as injury. Now there is no arguing. Good wrestlers won't use it. Great thing about this solution . . .  this is the way it is now for all practical purposes. No rule change needed. All you have to do is change your concept of what is acceptable.

I didn't say it was a good solution, but it would eliminate the questioning of a teenagers integrity when they call for the TO.

Here is a solution:  consider not being able to breathe, whether due to some affliction or lack of conditioning, as injury. Now there is no arguing. Good wrestlers won't use it. Great thing about this solution . . .  this is the way it is now for all practical purposes. No rule change needed. All you have to do is change your concept of what is acceptable.

I didn't say it was a good solution, but it would eliminate the questioning of a teenagers integrity when they call for the TO.

Approximately 10% of individuals who show up to the hospital emergency room short of breath die within one year.  Are they injured?  No.  There's an issue with their heart or lungs that has them desperately seeking relief. 

I'm not sure it's the out-of-breath wrestlers' integrity that's being questioned--they clearly need the timeout.  It's their conditioning and the thought of whether that's a legit reason for a timeout that's being brought into question (though I will say the "suck-it-up" expression is both ironic in its usage here and over the top for a friendly discussion about a teenagers' sport).

HOF93 or whoever stated that Lynde needed to "suck-it-up" needs a foot in his a@*.   Anyone who has watched him knows he doesn't need a breather.  Come on...no one needs to go to that level on a kid who has busted his butt to get where he is.  He was hurt and it was clear to anyone who gives a crap about the individuals and not just the outcome.  You should be ashamed of yourself for playing God and doctor.  And if you are a doctor, maybe you could have went down and looked at Lynde as we had a nurse-practioner on hand and she did just that.  

Arm-chair coaches are what hurt this sport giving their un-educated "two-cents."  Suck-it-up?  Really, you must have many, many records and achievements  in wrestling under your belt to state something like this.  If I were to guess, you were in band or maybe the cheer squad and only wished you wrestled  or maybe you didn't make the team????  Maybe now you are fortunate to have a wrestler or know one...but that is far from having the expertise to criticize these young men who made it to this level.  I hope you sleep well at night.

Wingman,

I  am not questioning either of these wrestler's toughness or grit.  If you check out the title, these points are directed to coaches who, in my opinion and other coaching colleagues, used questionnable strategies and hurt their wrestler's chances of winning.  If you re-read the post, it is saying that a coach needs to make it clear to his wrestler that a 2nd injury timeout gives his opponent an immediate  choice of positions, and an opportunity for him to put himself into a more advantageous scoring position.

As for your remarks on my background, I can only rest my laurels of many years of coaching  Sect., Reg., SS, &  State champions. That's why it pains me when a coach puts his athletes in a position of needless disadvatage.

I hope Lynde has another great season next year, an injury free tournament, and locks up a State Championship for himself and his school.

I think any coach whose kid makes it to the second day at state probably knows a little about wrestling. To say that they are costing there kids matches is a little much if you ask me. I don't think anyone knows a wrestler more than their coaches who have dedicated countless hours of time watching them wrestle.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.