Semi State Alternate

hummels

yes...whoever lost to the champ in the first round

is it just me or does anyone else find it dumb that the alternate is the one who was beaten in the first round by the champion?  most of the time this alternate would be a 4th place finisher from his sectional since most of the time the regional is won by a sectional champion..  it seems to me that the best way to do things would be for the regional coaches to come together and vote on who the alternate at each weight class should be, or have some kind of criteria like head to head between the 4 non-advancing kids, overall record, etc...  what are everyone's thoughts?

is it just me or does anyone else find it dumb that the alternate is the one who was beaten in the first round by the champion?  most of the time this alternate would be a 4th place finisher from his sectional since most of the time the regional is won by a sectional champion..  it seems to me that the best way to do things would be for the regional coaches to come together and vote on who the alternate at each weight class should be, or have some kind of criteria like head to head between the 4 non-advancing kids, overall record, etc...  what are everyone's thoughts?

How about doing like sectional and wrestle for 5th and 6th like they do at Jay County

How about doing like sectional and wrestle for 5th and 6th like they do at Jay County

I like this idea, though the IHSAA would never go for it as it would add 2 extra rounds if you kept the same format where the semi-final losers go for 3rd and it would add 3 extra rounds if they had full wrestlebacks where a loser in the first round still had a chance to take 3rd..

Ever since they started taking 4 from regionals to semi-state I have been saying having the alternate be the person who lost first round to the champion is a bad call.  Most of the time its a sectional 4th place finisher and occasionally even an alternate who moved into the spot.  I say the easiest solution is the take the highest sectional finisher from those eliminated in the first round.  In the event the two highest eliminated finished the exact same in sectionals then it goes to whoever is from the same sectional as the champion.  While in most cases the alternate doesn't matter in the few case it does I see its worth advancing someone with slightly higher credentials that a sectional 4th place finisher.

I like this idea, though the IHSAA would never go for it as it would add 2 extra rounds if you kept the same format where the semi-final losers go for 3rd and it would add 3 extra rounds if they had full wrestlebacks where a loser in the first round still had a chance to take 3rd..

Rankings guy, has an alternate ever made it to the state finals?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.