SIAC today at Castle

catmancool

Some thoughts on the SIAC...

First, yes, the reffing was inconsistent at best, they seemed slow to react when kids were on their backs and very inconsistent when they were calling inbounds vs. out

@119, Van Hook deserved to get a stalling point from Welch, this match should have been battled in OT - can't wait to see these two match-up again

@ 125, the eye poke definitely changed the pace of the match, Moody didn't have that 1 point lead to play with, so he seemed at a loss as what to do after that...I have seen him wrestle several times this year already, and although I will say Moody is a good wrestler (great build for a 125 wrestler), his M.O. has been to get that escape and then circle and block against wrestlers evenly-matched with him (look at his matches, several are 1-0 wins)

@189, the reffing was horrible..backpoints before takedown, then no escape, but a takedown awarded...it took them forever to figure out where they went wrong...then a coach comes across from another mat, when there are already 2 Memorial coaches on the mat....it was crazy, but the removal of the 2 points was the correct call

Other thoughts....

The Welch Twins...so solid...not sure if anyone in this area can touch them - so skilled, only wish we could see them on the mat for longer periods of time...lol!

Central has got some solid wrestlers coming up...can't wait to see how they progress in the years to come...

Did you see how many Memorial wrestlers were going for 3rd & 4th?  I know a lot of them were Seniors, but several of them weren't...they came in 2nd at the JV Invite @ MD...and if Coughlin continues to be one of their coaches, they will only get better and better

MD Freshmen finished 2nd & 3rd @ SIAC...not too shabby...and I'm not sure what was going on @ 171, but I don't expect that match will go that way again or that the score will be that close

Just loved how Castle fans cheered for anyone wrestling against MD :)...some things never change!

Van Hook did not deserve a point for stalling.  He did NOTHING the first and 2nd periods of the  match.  Nor did he do anything the last time these two wrestled.  If he had pushed the pace and taken shots earlier in the  match, I might agree with you but that was not the case.  What do you mean you don't understand what happened at 171?  Again, Brandenstein did nothing the whole match until he took a shot with about 30 seconds left.  Warren took it to him.  The call in the 125 match is what it is.  The hands to the face and "eye poking" was a "point of emphasis" a few years ago and a lot of points were given for that same call.  As stated earlier, Reitz gone some freebie points on that same call a few years ago.  You know what they say about Karma!  After he got that 1 point, henderson could coast the rest of the match.  He could've been hit for stalling several times at the end of that match. 

Had Wedding been healthy, Van Hook wouldn't have even been in the finals.  Rueger looked really good.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt the worst for the Reitz fans; They kept getting both of the officials that were clearly not on their game Saturday.  I believe in the 119 match they actually had both of them, one as the head official and the other as the side ref.  I had no horse in the race at all and was strictly there to watch some good wrestling, but it's safe to say I won't be going back next year if the one official in particular is there again.  I would put money on it that there are many others in the same boat.  I felt sick for the many kids that got the shaft on their chances of winning a SIAC title.....In the words of Charles Barkley "That was terrrble"

Van Hook did not deserve a point for stalling.  He did NOTHING the first and 2nd periods of the  match.  Nor did he do anything the last time these two wrestled.  If he had pushed the pace and taken shots earlier in the  match, I might agree with you but that was not the case.  What do you mean you don't understand what happened at 171?  Again, Brandenstein did nothing the whole match until he took a shot with about 30 seconds left.  Warren took it to him.  The call in the 125 match is what it is.  The hands to the face and "eye poking" was a "point of emphasis" a few years ago and a lot of points were given for that same call.  As stated earlier, Reitz gone some freebie points on that same call a few years ago.  You know what they say about Karma!  After he got that 1 point, henderson could coast the rest of the match.  He could've been hit for stalling several times at the end of that match. 

Had Wedding been healthy, Van Hook wouldn't have even been in the finals.  Rueger looked really good.

pretty much agree with everything you said...wahoo to you.  I'll also add that they got the call right on the backpoints at 189 but i still don't blame the memorial coach for coming over from the bleachers.  Henderson won't beat moody again, however, as someone mentioned earlier, moody doesn't exactly force the issue as he gets that 1 point escape then rides the legs to win 1-0.    I will also say that I didn't see schroeder stalling like someone mentioned earlier but it was a great match.  Brandenstein won't beat warren if he keeps wrestling like he has been.  Welch twins will both make it to the finals and should win...flat out awesome.  Rueger is a stud too and should place this year.  ferguson continues to complain about everything and the castle fans do love to hate MD.  Overall, should have been a better crowd considering how many great matches there were.

What I meant by "I don't know what happened @ 171" was that it did not look like Brandenstein out there.  He's a much better wrestler than that...and I saw him pin Warren earlier this year (in a splaedel if I recall correctly).

As for Moody, "coasting the rest of the match" has been what he's done a lot - and I think he's a good wrestler, but blocking and putting in the legs and riding it out will only get you so far...and Henderson coming out of the ride was beautiful...

I will agree that if Wedding had been there, it would have been a great finals match-up with him and Welch...

jap1971 must not have watched the dowdy schroeder match dowdy was only one giving pressure whole match reff finally gets told by other reff that schroeder was stalling on other matches

Really?!?  Stalling in his other matches?!?!  Schroeder v. Pye - 47 second fall.....Schroeder v. Mandel...57 second fall....

I think you got some faulty information...when could he have possibly had time to stall in any of his matches on Saturday?!?!

Someone was talking about how the Castle crowd cheers when MD loses.  They and all of the other fans except the MD fans do that.  I participate in cheering against MD until Semi-State and then I hope they do well unless wrestling v Castle or other regional teams. 

When they weren't wrestling against MD, I was cheering for kids from Reitz, Memorial, Central, North, and even Castle.  When your kid is a multi-sporter, you play sports with kids from all over...when they aren't wrestling an MD wrestler, man, I just want to see those kids I know win.  And even though you love to hate those on top...I love to watch those Welch Twins wrestle, and just can't bring myself to hate on them.  But you're right...come Semi-State, I'm for every area wrestler...and come Conseco....man it's just awesome to see area kids doing well - I don't care what school they come from!

As far as Frigginhurts is concerned:  I saw alot of matches that were refereed poorly.  It just seemed that it occurred more so during the bouts that Reitz had.  As far as Coach Ferguson goes; he could have complained further than he did.  Any good coach is going to fight for their wrestlers.  They even had two refs in the finals and during the 189 pound match I believe those refs could not make their minds up.  I saw Coach Schaeffer from Memorial really upset and I dont blame him.  Each team will get a call go there way and the coaches know when it is right or wrong.  As each week that passes and some of these kids see one another for the upteenth time, the matches may get closer or they may seperate further.  In any event, our SIAC conference should represent well at the state tourney.

As far as Frigginhurts is concerned:  I saw alot of matches that were refereed poorly.  It just seemed that it occurred more so during the bouts that Reitz had.  As far as Coach Ferguson goes; he could have complained further than he did.  Any good coach is going to fight for their wrestlers.  They even had two refs in the finals and during the 189 pound match I believe those refs could not make their minds up.  I saw Coach Schaeffer from Memorial really upset and I dont blame him.  Each team will get a call go there way and the coaches know when it is right or wrong.  As each week that passes and some of these kids see one another for the upteenth time, the matches may get closer or they may seperate further.  In any event, our SIAC conference should represent well at the state tourney.

Coach Schaefer is from MD...Coach Mattingly is from Memorial - and yes - they were both upset, because the match wasn't being officiated properly...and probably because the long break took the wrestler out of the action for too long...it's hard to be stopped when the adrenaline is pumping and you're fighting it out....I felt sorry for both of those young men.

Coach Schaefer is from MD...Coach Mattingly is from Memorial - and yes - they were both upset, because the match wasn't being officiated properly...and probably because the long break took the wrestler out of the action for too long...it's hard to be stopped when the adrenaline is pumping and you're fighting it out....I felt sorry for both of those young men.

he was speaking of coach jeff schaefer from memorial who was WAY more upset than coach mattingly. 

this is where we disagree.  Reitz didn't have any more poorly officiated matches than any other school. 

and by the way...the ref got the call right with the eye poke...intentional or not its a point.

I'm still not entirely sure what happened @ 189.  The ref gave two near fall without giving the reversal, then realized he only gave near fall and then gave the reversal which is why the score ran up 5-3.  Then he went to the table and the score went back to 3-3 and both guys were neutral back at the center? Or were they neutral to begin the period?

I'm still not entirely sure what happened @ 189.  The ref gave two near fall without giving the reversal, then realized he only gave near fall and then gave the reversal which is why the score ran up 5-3.  Then he went to the table and the score went back to 3-3 and both guys were neutral back at the center? Or were they neutral to begin the period?

I've slept since then but here is what I think happened.  Boots was up 2-0 in the third and riding sandwith.  Sandwith got a "reversal" but the ref was counting back points when boots still had CONTROL.  Eventually Sandwith did get the reversal but no back points.  Boots also got an escape.  thus the 3-3 score.  I think the asst. ref went to the head ref and said something about him counting back points before boots lost control and thus they finally got it right.

I've slept since then but here is what I think happened.  Boots was up 2-0 in the third and riding sandwith.  Sandwith got a "reversal" but the ref was counting back points when boots still had CONTROL.  Eventually Sandwith did get the reversal but no back points.  Boots also got an escape.  thus the 3-3 score.   I think the asst. ref went to the head ref and said something about him counting back points before boots lost control and thus they finally got it right.

That would put Boots up 3-2. Regardless, Sandwith was pretty impressive and stayed composed, he was also tough on top and will do well during the state tournament.

That would put Boots up 3-2. Regardless, Sandwith was pretty impressive and stayed composed, he was also tough on top and will do well during the state tournament.

you are correct.  maybe it was 2-1 when it all started...like i said, i slept since then.

Crowd size was pitiful.  It is no wonder the IHSAA is doing away with team state.  Wrestling is at an all time low in popularity.

the reason why i think the crowd sizes are down is because of all the youth wrestling tournys...i know of several kids that went to tournys and also md junior wildcats had the bloomington super duals this weekend. jmo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.