Trying to understand, what we are teaching our Wrestlers!

This Post might seem like a rant, and maybe it is.  But, something has been bothering me since late Saturday afternoon.  I would like to get it off my chest and hear others responses.

Last Saturday at an Individual tournament, I witnessed something that made my blood boil.  We were in the final round and weight classes were being awarded following the next match.    As wrestlers were sitting to get there medals, a father of one of the wrestlers went down the line and congratulated the the 4th , 3rd and 1st place wrestler, shaking their hands.  I was totally appalled that this father would not shake the 2nd place finishers hand.

Now you might think that the 2nd place finisher had beaten his son this day.  Not the case,  he shook the wrestlers hand that had beaten his wrestler that day.  Actually I will have to look at the brackets, I think he actually shook 2 kids hands that beat his son this day.

Not wanting to make a scene and wanting to get my facts straight,  I waited until today to approach the 2nd place finisher and ask him if this is what happened.  The more I thought about, the more I thought, hey maybe this dad had congratulated the wrestler in the hall or on the way to the podium,  at another point in the afternoon.  NO the father had not commented to the 2nd place finisher.

My rant is about sportmanship, or lack  of it.  A grown man is teaching this to his children, I just don't get it. 

To make matters worse this father I have seen in REF stripes.    This man, who our wrestlers are suppose to look up to when he is refereeing, is going to act like an idiot.  I don't get it.   

You have to give respect to receive it.  And you will never get it from me, now.

Thanks for letting me vent.   

so i guess you will not say who this guy was but how bout the tournament and weight class....

I don't see how that is important.  I am hoping the offender sees this and makes it right with this wrestler and his family.

Here is one important factor though,  this is not MY son.  This was a young man who has worked hard for a lot of years, and I just felt it inappropriate for a father let alone a wrestling referee to act this way. 

Why was he down by the wrestlers? Was he handing out awards? If he wasn't, he really doesn't have any business around them. It's a good way to start a bad situation...

Because this FATHER feels he is entitled.  Having been a referee, he knows he can push the envelope.  Another great lesson to be taught our wrestlers.

The signs that say "WRESTLERS and COACHES ONLY" don't apply to you.   

Because this FATHER feels he is entitled.  Having been a referee, he knows he can push the envelope.  Another great lesson to be taught our wrestlers.

The signs that say "WRESTLERS and COACHES ONLY" don't apply to you.   

Don't know if you are meaning to come across this way, but it seems to me that you have known this FATHER prior to this incident. Almost like there is previous behavior or run-ins that have boiled over. You seem to have a lot of details about this guys behavior at this event, so you checking out the behavior seems pre-meditated. Like you expected to see it.

Is this the only negative incident?  People make mistakes. I think you either have more information or you need to let it go. 

but it seems to me that you have known this FATHER prior to this incident. Almost like there is previous behavior or run-ins that have boiled over. You seem to have a lot of details about this guys behavior at this event, so you checking out the behavior seems pre-meditated. Like you expected to see it.

Exactly what I thought.  Plus, maybe he was shaking hands with everyone and just happened to not to make eye contact with this particular kid and simply moved on to the next.

Add my name to the list of those who think there are a lot of explanations for the man in question not shaking the kid's hand that don't involve malicious intent.  Maybe he knew the other kids.  Maybe he didn't make eye contact with this one kid as he was walking by.  maybe he was somewhat distracted and didn't realize that he had omitted one. . .  Perhaps he was being a jerk, but I have no reason to accuse him of that based on your story.

And it does, indeed, seem like you were intentionally watching him extremely closely and interpreted his oversight in the worst way possible.

I was watching our wrestler getting ready to get his award.  Wasn't premeditated looking for something to complain about.  I actually waited a few days, to check it out with the wrestler.  Like I said earlier,  I was hoping that the father had acted in the hallways or earlier in the afternoon.

I have not witnessed this person, do anything like this before.  Although, I do not like the way he behaves at meets.

This father knows the wrestler he snubbed, very well, and his parents as well.   

The entitled comment was, because this person has been a referee before, and thinks he can do whatever he wants.

The eye contact is BS,  this parent had an opportunity to be a man and wasn't.  If he wasn't going to shake all of there hands, then he should have waited until the awards were given and approach these wrestlers after that time.

Please keep the comments coming.  Still trying to figure this mentality out.