New weights and hypothetical matches

AJ

If we were to have used the proposed weight classes this year, what are some interesting match ups that you think we would/could have seen.  Please list option and weight class......

Option A:

Option B:

Option C:

Were there any light 112 pounders last year? If so a 110 pound weight class could be interesting. Actually just making bumping up 103 to 110 will allow for more wrestlers to stay at the lightest weight as they get older.

I promise I'm not trying to hijack your thread A.J., but what are the realistic chances of the weight classes actually changing? Last year is the first year that I really noticed talk of it, but I could have just been oblivious to the conversation in previous years.

I think that Roe of AC would benefit from a 110 class.  He was a fairly light 112 "I think".

I think the weight class changes are a real possibility, I have seen other states posting this on their boards..... were there not four options that were going to be decided upon in the near future? The three you listed there and the current one?

If things are done as in the other years when they have changed weight classes it seems that they will announce the changes in the Spring of one year and then they would not be instituted for one full year.  In other words if they announce then this Spring then they would not be instituted until the 2011-2012 season.  I could be wrong, but I have heard that this is the procedure.

If things are done as in the toehr years when they have changed weight classes it seems tha they will announce the chages in the Spring of on year and then they would not be instituted for one full year.  In other words if they announce then this Spring then they would not be instituted until the 2011-2012 season.  I oculd be worng, but I have heard that this is the procedure.

Sounds logical.... good thing NFHS doing the changing and not the IHSAA, i would think the NFHS would have to be atleast somewhat more logical than the IHSAA. This of course is based solely over the known decisions of the IHSAA, no experience with the NFHS.

The NFHS Wrestling Rules Committee will be meeting in April. The decision on the weight classes is on the agenda. The decision will be difficult. Many people say they would like to see changes made in the weight classes. However, when you start trying to actually come up with 14 weights (we agreed in principle to keep the number of weight classes the same) that everyone can agree upon is nearly impossible. I WOULD like to hear from the members of the IndianaMat community what your thoughts are on the four proposals (keeping the current weights is an option in addition to the three proposals). Please give your reasons for your support of the various options.

Thanks,

Dave Cloud

Member, NFHS Rules Committee

i like option B for two reasons.

1.  the heavier weights, there are a lot of great athletes in that range.  it makes a lot of sense.

2.  the nostalgic numbers in the mid range from when i was in school. (26, 32,38...)

Dave Cloud,

I like option A because it raises 103 up significantly. Now some may disagree with this, but 103 seems to be a weight class that there are the most forfeits in, especially the small school. Therefore, this will allow one more wrestler at some of these smaller schools who do not even have anyone in the halls at 103 to wrestle. It also will allow for a higher percentage of wrestlers to stay in that 110 weight class past their frosh year. I also like how 152-192 weight classes are much closer in weight than the current 152-189.

Personally, i think it would be nice if 216 could be bumped up a little bit more in this option, but oh well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.