Word from the IHSAA on Randolph County Wrestlers

Y2CJ41

Thanks to all who made this happen, BUT why not wrestle their regional first round opponent? They should have qualified! I thought three schools missed the Jay County regional, from the matchup it looks like four????

It was all the wrestlers from Winchester, Monroe Central and Union City.  Some of Randolph Southern's wrestlers made it, some didn't.

While I cannot come up with anything better - barring wrestle-backs - there is another wrestler who gets a possible bad deal here:  Dylan Green.  By virtue of winning his own regional he earned the right to NOT face someone of Chalifant's calibre in the first round.  Reality is that these two young men were quite likely to both be state qualifiers and now, without either of them losing, it is not possible.

These pigtails should have been random draws not just placed against others from the Jay Country regional. If everybody on here is so worried about the fairness of all this the other Jay Country wrestlers are getting worked over on this one. This situation is not their fault and they should not have to bear the weight of this decision. By doing a random draw you admit the mistake, give an opportunity to wrestlers who were unable to complete through no fault of their own, and you do not specifically punish the wrestlers who did wrestle at Jay County that day.

On another Note:

While I cannot come up with anything better - barring wrestle-backs - there is another wrestler who gets a possible bad deal here:  Dylan Green.  By virtue of winning his own regional he earned the right to NOT face someone of Chalifant's calibre in the first round.  Reality is that these two young men were quite likely to both be state qualifiers and now, without either of them losing, it is not possible.

Winning your Regional guarantees you one thing, another opportunity to wrestler. the quality of the wrestler you face is arbitrary.

Everything looks great except for the fact that they aren't letting Connor Wyatt wrestle.

That's a shame. I do not see how his situation is any different than the others. I guarantee you he was under weight when more than half the kids weighed in before weigh-ins were supposed to start.

Other than that, I can't complain.

Thanks for your support, I applaud my son in his decision, he handled the situation on Saturday with much more sportsmanship than most would, including his parents.  We feel that this situation was remedied in the best  way possible, other that postponing the meet Saturday. Unfortunately for all involved at the semi state pigtail matches someones heart will be broken and dreams crushed.  At this time it does not look like Connor was going to have a shot to be allowed to wrestle Saturday anyway.  We are proud of him for his accomplishments this year, he had a great season for a freshman, one that greatly surpassed the goals he had going into the season. :) Good Luck to all at Semi State Saturday!!!!  Connor will see you all there in the next year or two :)

See what happens when you put the pressure on and stand up for what is right?  People are going to ask if this is fair and say how certain wrestlers are going to be having bad draws now and what-not.  However, at this point, there's going to be no easy and simple solution.  This is probably the best solution that can be come up with in such a short time span.

To think people actually criticized my stance that all the coaches should've just walked out Saturday.  People defended them by saying, "they were just doing what they were told," or, "the IHSAA would've just forfeited the whole regional."

What the IHSAA is allowing with the Randolph County wrestlers is a prime example of what happens when you stand up against an injustice, and put the pressure on for what you think is right.

Thank You decbell1 for the support and i beilive that when i got their i was lighter than every other kid in this weight class.. Yet as of now even if they would decide to let me wrestle in a pig tail i would be unable to make the weight i now weight 125..  i have thought this over and if i were granted the chance to wrestle i pig tail match i am not going to cut 11 lbs in 4 days.. the reason behind this is i feel this could be a danger to my health.

Connor what have you been doing, eating non-stop since Sat.  ??? Anyway I am very proud of you and your decision not to try and cut that much weight so quick. :)  Your young in your high school wrestling career and have 3 more years to show them just what you are made of.  ;) Hang in there kiddo!!!!

Thank you decbell1 for supporting Connor and to IHSAA for giving the Randolph County Wrestlers a fighting chance.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.