What about the other Jay County teams?

NickS

What happened at Jay County is unforgivable.  The IHSAA and Jay County administration will take alot of heat for this, and rightfully so.  However, what about all the other teams that actually showed up?  Should they get called out for this as well?  According to another thread, Bellmont was the ONLY school that spoke out about not wrestling the regional.

I believe that every school that showed up, should of packed up immediately, gone on the bus, and head home just to prove a point.  Granted, it would've been a little inconvenient.  However, I'd like to think that we can see the bigger picture here.  As much as we want to beat everyone and be #1.  We are a wrestling community, a family if you will.  When one of us goes down, I think we have an obligation to back them up.  Richmond is a good example as to how it should've been done.  The Jay County teams had an opportunity to show that they're bigger than just winning or losing.  However, they didn't take advantage of that opportunity, which I'm sad to see.

I don't like pointing fingers, but I feel this is a case in which those teams need to hold some accountability as well.  Just my 2 cents.

What happened at Jay County is unforgivable.  The IHSAA and Jay County administration will take alot of heat for this, and rightfully so.  However, what about all the other teams that actually showed up?  Should they get called out for this as well?  According to another thread, Bellmont was the ONLY school that spoke out about not wrestling the regional.

I believe that every school that showed up, should of packed up immediately, gone on the bus, and head home just to prove a point.  Granted, it would've been a little inconvenient.  However, I'd like to think that we can see the bigger picture here.  As much as we want to beat everyone and be #1.  We are a wrestling community, a family if you will.  When one of us goes down, I think we have an obligation to back them up.  Richmond is a good example as to how it should've been done.  The Jay County teams had an opportunity to show that they're bigger than just winning or losing.  However, they didn't take advantage of that opportunity, which I'm sad to see.

I don't like pointing fingers, but I feel this is a case in which those teams need to hold some accountability as well.  Just my 2 cents.

I fail to see why other teams, who have worked so hard, should sacrifice their opportunity to advance just to prove a point.  I wholeheartedly agree that an injustice was done to the wrestlers of Winchester, Union City, and Monroe Central, but to place any sort of blame on the teams that actually made it to Jay County today is irresponsible.

so should the rest of the ft wayne semi-state ff and just let jay county have  it to make a point

I fail to see why other teams, who have worked so hard, should sacrifice their opportunity to advance just to prove a point.  I wholeheartedly agree that an injustice was done to the wrestlers of Winchester, Union City, and Monroe Central, but to place any sort of blame on the teams that actually made it to Jay County today is irresponsible.

Bellmont stood up, so obviously they felt something needed to be done.  If they all stood up, Jay County would've been virtually forced to re-schedule the tourney by default.  If no one wrestles, you can't have the meet right?

so should the rest of the ft wayne semi-state ff and just let jay county have  it to make a point

It wouldn't have been a forfeit though.  If the other Jay County teams do what was right, the message would've been sent and it would've been re-scheduled.

Theres an old saying you got to wrestle whoever they throw out against you and thats what the other schools did today.  That being said I am suprised that the only one with the fortitude to step up and say this was an injustice were the Braves of Bellmont.  Trent McCormick the vice president of Indiana wrestling was present and accounted for and said nothing according to accounts.  If this is true why is he in a position of power?  How doesn't he see the blatent disregaurd for atheletes from the schools not able to participate?  Even more importantly how doesn't he see that this was going to boil over and cause what it has caused.  Talks of lawsuits and all sorts of things have sprouted from this and rightfully so.  I am not trying to say his team would gain anything not having winchester there, but I am saying its rediculous this kind of unjustice was able to happen on his watch.

It wouldn't have been a forfeit though.  If the other Jay County teams do what was right, the message would've been sent and it would've been re-scheduled.

Do you know that for a fact. Maybe they would have just FF the entire regional. No one konws for sure, what is done is done.

Do you know that for a fact. Maybe they would have just FF the entire regional. No one konws for sure, what is done is done.

Well obviously what's done is done, and you're not going to see me saying they need to redo the regional round.  But what about the next time?  and the time after that?  Granted, one team standing up (Bellmont) isn't going to do anything, as what was evident today.  But if 20 teams stood up, that makes for a much bigger impact.  It shows that we aren't going to take this type of injustice, not from Jay County or the IHSAA.  This is a prime example of why we can't get anything done with the IHSAA, as far as getting things passed (like wrestlebacks).  No one stands up for what they believe in.  We, as a state, are too content with just sitting back and saying, "oh well, that was an injustice or just tough luck."

I want to applaud everyone for getting on here and voicing our opinions but truth be told we need to do something about this.  This may be the biggest injustice I have ever heard in high school sports.  We can not stop here on this board we can not let this issue die out.  Its not fair to our state, our wrestlers, or the families that sacrificed years of hard work to get these atheletes to where they are now.  I say if Bobby Cox wants to blow off emails and calls like he has, we as a sport need to unite.  We need to sign patitions, get the news involved, visit the IHSAA with representitvies from every sectional and really take a stand.  If were teaching life lessons and do nothing what have we taught our kids.  This is the USA and we will be heard.

Exactly.  Why should the other teams risk potentially losing their postseason?

all the other coaches had to do was stand up for what was right in the coaches meeting and they would of reconsidered there decision,

I want to applaud everyone for getting on here and voicing our opinions but truth be told we need to do something about this.  This may be the biggest injustice I have ever heard in high school sports.  We can not stop here on this board we can not let this issue die out.  Its not fair to our state, our wrestlers, or the families that sacrificed years of hard work to get these atheletes to where they are now.  I say if Bobby Cox wants to blow off emails and calls like he has, we as a sport need to unite.  We need to sign patitions, get the news involved, visit the IHSAA with representitvies from every sectional and really take a stand.  If were teaching life lessons and do nothing what have we taught our kids.  This is the USA and we will be heard.

I agree.  I think people are ok with this because no top top tier individuals or teams were effected by this.  But what if this happened to Mater Dei, or Mishawaka, or Perry Meridian, or Crown Point?  Which it very well could happen to next time.  I GUARANTEE that people would change their tune to this.

all the other coaches had to do was stand up for what was right in the coaches meeting and they would of reconsidered there decision,

If the IHSAA was irrational enough to make the decision they did, what makes you think they wouldn't have declared the entire regional a FF if the teams refused to wrestle?  I'm sorry, but that's a risk I would not be willing to take as a coach.  How would you look your wrestlers in the eye after making a decision like that and then being screwed over?

Am I the only one who is questioning Trent McCormick here?  This guys will be president of Indiana Wrestling in 2 years and he did not even stick up for what was right.  He backed away from the right decision and took the easy way out.  I want to know why he did not stick his neck out on this.  Its rediculous!!!  You should be ashamed Mr McCormick.  VERY ASHAMED.

Absolutly wcs.  If McCormicks team was stuck in Yorktown and this went on do you think people would be in more of an uproar.  I absolutly know they would.  I am not for frivalous law suits but I say go for it on this one.  This was a flat out denial by the state against these individuals.  It shouldn't matter if it were just one wrestler or a whole team.  Bobby Cox said there was 86 percent of the wrestlers there.  I say there was 12 % unable to compete for no reason but time.  Trent McCorminck, Bobby Cox, and the rest of these people should be stripped of there positions.  Bellmont and Faurote were late because of weather made it all the way down there and still had the guts to say it wasn't right.  Thats character.  That a man and a team I would stand behind and fight for.  Thats a quality program year in and year out and you can tell why.  They are lead by a true man of integrity.

If the IHSAA was irrational enough to make the decision they did, what makes you think they wouldn't have declared the entire regional a FF if the teams refused to wrestle?  I'm sorry, but that's a risk I would not be willing to take as a coach.  How would you look your wrestlers in the eye after making a decision like that and then being screwed over?

Another regional had already been postponed.  There is no talk of that entire regional being declared a forfeit.  Why would one postponed regional be declared a forfeit and not the other?

this kinda thinking is why they made there decision because they know u want stand up for what is right

Another regional had already been postponed.  There is no talk of that entire regional being declared a forfeit.  Why would one postponed regional be declared a forfeit and not the other?

That is a good question for the IHSAA.  They made it clear they were not moving the Jay County regional to another day (supposedly due to scheduling conflicts).  I would not put it past them to FF the entire thing if teams refused to compete.

this kinda thinking is why they made there decision because they know u want stand up for what is right

Again, put yourself in the coaches' shoes.  WHAT IF it was declared a FF?  How would you answer to your wrestlers, who did nothing wrong?  Would you want that guilt put upon you?

Am I the only one who is questioning Trent McCormick here?  This guys will be president of Indiana Wrestling in 2 years and he did not even stick up for what was right.  He backed away from the right decision and took the easy way out.  I want to know why he did not stick his neck out on this.  Its rediculous!!!  You should be ashamed Mr McCormick.  VERY ASHAMED.

Absolutly wcs.  If McCormicks team was stuck in Yorktown and this went on do you think people would be in more of an uproar.  I absolutly know they would.  I am not for frivalous law suits but I say go for it on this one.  This was a flat out denial by the state against these individuals.  It shouldn't matter if it were just one wrestler or a whole team.  Bobby Cox said there was 86 percent of the wrestlers there.  I say there was 12 % unable to compete for no reason but time.  Trent McCorminck, Bobby Cox, and the rest of these people should be stripped of there positions.  Bellmont and Faurote were late because of weather made it all the way down there and still had the guts to say it wasn't right.  Thats character.  That a man and a team I would stand behind and fight for.  Thats a quality program year in and year out and you can tell why.  They are lead by a true man of integrity.

Were you in the Coach's meeting? If so ok. If not then you have no idea what really happened, so someone said that or someone told you that no one else said anything. How do you know that McCormick didn't have a private conversation with the peolpe at Jay County. He is the VP of the IHSWCA not the IHSAA, i imagine that he can not over turn decisions made by the IHSAA. Lets not bash him when this is supposedly a choice made by the IHSAA.

Again, put yourself in the coaches' shoes.  WHAT IF it was declared a FF?  How would you answer to your wrestlers, who did nothing wrong?  Would you want that guilt put upon you?

Let's look at it from a risk-reward standpoint.  Does the risk of forfeiting for just this one time (which I disagree with what would've happened if the entire regional stood up) outweigh the benefit of not having to put up with this type of situation ever again?

I wholeheartedly believe that Jay County would've done some rearranging with upcoming events so they could appease the 20 or so teams here.

Does the risk of forfeiting for just this one time (which I disagree with what would've happened if the entire regional stood up) outweigh the benefit of not having to put up with this type of situation ever again?

It doesn't for all the other wrestlers/teams who would've been screwed over

It doesn't for all the other wrestlers/teams who would've been screwed over

Well I'm sorry that you can't see bigger picture here.  I'm sorry that you can only see the here and now, and can't focus on the possible ripple down effect this could have for years to come.  You and I are on just two different levels of thinking here.

All I am saying if the report is true which was said by a reputable source, I think we have to second guess the man.  Its enough to talk about. He has more poll then any coach at the tournement.  He directly talks with the IHSAA and probably has Bobby Cox on speed dial.  He knew as well as anyone that there would be an uproar.  Blame can be placed all over but I am not going to let one man off the hook just because he has a good team.  I was at the tournement and I heard from three seperate people that this was the case.  So you can stick up for him or whatever thats fine, but he needs to know with great power comes responsibility.  I am sure most of the IHSWCA members from that part of the state helped vote him in, and they need to be represented as much as anyone else.  So back off me for caring for the health of our sport.

Well I'm sorry that you can't see bigger picture here.  I'm sorry that you can only see the here and now, and can't focus on the possible ripple down effect this could have for years to come.  You and I are on just two different levels of thinking here.

Ah, yes.  My lack of foresight (and apparently, in your opinion,  of all the other coaches at the regional) is the issue here.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.