Rankings and Predictions...

BlueBolt

I know we are all hear to discuss the "what if's" and "I think's" of our passion - Wrestling...

But don't you think it is WAY to early to be predicting the Conference, Sectional, Regional, SS, and State Champs?  Most of these kids haven't even stepped on the mat yet. 

We have rankings based on last years finishes.  I will be the first to show my appreciation to those who do all the work to post these rankings, but I think we all need to understand that the kids listed in each weight class may not be anywhere near that weight class this year.  Odd as it seems, kids GROW during their teenage years. 

Even worse, some kids don't even come out for the team.    Grades pick off a few, disciplinary issues, changes in schools, etc etc etc...We don't even know if they kid is going to show up at all.

I would love to see the data we are given being the most factual possible, and taking the current situations into consideration.  Wrestling is a sport based on "you never know!".  This applies to the rankings and ratings practices also.

Maybe considering posting the "rankings" after the first weekend of December might be an idea?  The states wrestling machine will be fired up and active from the Ohio to the Lake and we will have a better idea of where the kids are lining up and who they will be facing.  It also buys the coordinators a chance to compile the data.

Just a thought...

There is never a good time to do the ranking until the Sunday after the State Finals.

Kids get hurt, sick, have grade or discipline issues all year long.

There is also not a good way to actually rank anyone.  A top wrestler in Indy may not have any link (common opponents) to a top kid in The Region so it is simply guess work.

So I feel that a pre-season ranking is just as acceptable as one the week before sectionals.  We know it is all a guess based on a few very knowledgeable minds and if they do better than 50% they are doing great.

Give the kids props for their accomplishments from last year.  Some of them may have come along and not been ranked.  This will be the time that they get acknowledged for their effort.  Next week they may not be ranked at all, but they were once.

they are just ranking the high school  kids preseason. you can't rank kids after state finals that is not rankings that is finals.college rankings are the same  way.  you have rankings through the season til finals then whoever peaks ,focus's and wins are the placers. There are kids that may not be ranked that will place at state, but that does not necessarily affect rankings through the season

While I personally dont give much weight to rankings of any sort, but they do tend to generate quite a bit of discussion on the board. They are usually the most commented on subjects.

The only values I place on them is a place for some kids to be able to go and see that thier hard work from last year, or this year to date has paid off in as much as someone else has noticed. If a kid spends alot of time looking at the ramkings, he will not be ranked for very long. They are more for the proud mamas and papas out there so they can brag at work.

If a kid feels he should be ranked and is not, then 2 things must be realized. This is not little league where everyone gets a trophy or a ribbon, and the second thing is they need to get thier butts back in the room, work harder, and longer then the kids that are ranked, and soon thier work will be seen on the mat, and then in the rankings.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.