Chris Lytle - Post UFC Indiana Political Aspirations

Drooke

Chris Lytle's post-UFC career could include political run in Indiana

by Dann Stupp on Jun 23, 2009 at 6:30 pm ET

Fulltime firefighter, professional boxer, star mixed-martial-arts fighter, devoted family man.

Could Renaissance Man and UFC welterweight Chris Lytle's list of job responsibilities soon include rookie politician?

On Monday's edition of MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio), the longtime fighter mentioned interest in entering the political ring once his career in the cage runs its course.

"I've been talking to some people in my state about it, trying to use whatever popularity I have from my name to help me run for some sort of political office," Lytle said.

Lytle, a fan favorite who's stand-and-bang style and no-nonsense interviews have earned him a home in the UFC for nearly a decade, joked about another qualification.

"I can lie with the best of them, my friend," Lytle joked.

Lytle wouldn't be the first well-known MMA fighter to make a run at office. Late last year, former U.S. Olympic wrestler and veteran MMA fighter Matt Lindland won the Republic primary for the Oregon House of Representatives 52nd district by a solid 14 percentage points. However, he fell short to a Democratic candidate in the general election by 16 points.

One Lytle supporter is already making the pitch.

"He could launch his (political) career using the UFC name recognition and obviously using his talents to get him into the office," said Lytle's agent, Ken Pavia. "I think he'd be a great politician."

Lytle, a 34-year-old Indianapolis native and longtime firefighter in the city, has no immediate plans for retirement, though he knows he's entering the tail end of his career now that his 35th birthday is just two months away. Lytle is active in his community and still supports and works out with his high school's wrestling team. He also had a successful career as a professional boxer competing primarily in Indiana events.

A married father of four, Lytle graduated from the University of Indiana with a degree in sports management before launching his combat-sports career.

To hear the full interview with Lytle, download Monday's edition of MMAjunkie.com Radio.

Everyone I know that knows Chris can't say enough good things about him.  He is very likable.  I can easily see him making a career in politics.  Obviously he has some fans that would vote for him!  This might be a great move to help make UFC more mainstream.