A few D3 resgional results

On Saturday, February 21st, Division III Regionals took place. 

In the Midwest Conference, the following Indiana wrestlers placed. 

125 - Brandon Harvey - Trine (Elkhart Memorial) - 5th

125- Jason Ray - Manchester (Union County) - 6th

133-Ty Bowman - Trine (Clinton Central) - 3rd

141-Jeremiah Edwards - Rose Hulman (Lawrence North) - 2nd ( alternate)

141-Bryan Wight - Trine (Homestead) - 4th

141-Samuel Carsey- Manchester (Linden) - 8th

149- Kyle Pittman - Trine (Greensburg) - 7th

149- Jared Tribbett- Wabash (Crawfordsville) - 6th

157-George Markou - Trine (Peru) - 5th

165-Tyler Goble - Rose Hulman (Bloomington South) - Champion

165-Kyle Long - Trine (South Bend Washington) - 2nd

165-Robert Beeler - Wabash (Knightstown) - 6th

174-Nick Kraus - Trine (New Prairie) - 3rd (alternate)

174 Kyle Carsley - Manchester (Homestead) - 8th

197- Michale Burke - Wabash (Yorktown) - 2nd

197-Greg Williams - Rose Hulman (Bonneville) - 8th

197 - Jordan Cox - Manchester (Carmel) - 7th

285- Spencer Fulk - Manchester (Carroll) - 2nd

285-Steve Durham - Rose Hulman (Richmond) - 8th

If I missed anyone, please add to the list.

The number of wrestlers from each weight class qualifying for the NCAA Division III Nationals is determined by how many All Americans there were from that regional the previous year.  I'm not sure how many wrestlers from each weight class qualify for the NCAA Division III Nationals.  Maybe someone can let us know. 

Great Lakes Regional - Top two in each weight class are automatically qualified to compete in the NCAA Division III Nationals on March 6-7 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

125 - Jimmy Schoettle - University of Chicago (Perry Meridian) - 6th

Italianmom thanks for posting these results.

One question though...you have Edward from Rose at 2nd but an alternate. Could you elaborate please. Thanks in advance.

As I stated in my post, qualifiers for the NCAA's is different for each regional.  Depending on how many All Americans came from the Midwest Regional last year determines how many wrestlers from each weight class will qualify this year.  Apparently, the Midwest must not be taking two freom each weight class since Edwards is considered an alternate. 

There are 9 regional sites.  I have listed them below.  You can find out more at www.d3wrestle.com.

Qualifying Tournaments

Centennial hosted by McDaniel

Empire hosted by Oswego

Great Lakes hosted by Concordia (WI)

Iowa hosted by Luther

Metro hosted by York

Midwest hosted by Trine

New England hosted by Springfield

Ohio hosted by Muskingum

Wisconsin hosted by UW-Oshkosh

There are 89 Teams in D III competing in 9 regionals. There may be some independent teams but I am not sure. I believe there are a few more  wrestling progams at D III schools which are not listed in these 89. At  7 Reionals only the Champion recieves an automatic berth to the NCAA Nationals and some wild cards are awarded according to the strength of your regional. These wild card spots are decided by a committee of the Head Coaches from that regional after the regional tournament has conluded. The two toughest Regionals Iowa and Great Lakes each recieve automatic berths for champion and runner-up with Iowa(The Toughest Regional) recieving a total of 33 and Great Lakes a total of 26. Since there are ten wt classes Iowa recieves 13 wild cards and Great Lakes 6 wild cards.Furthermore you must wrestle for true 2nd from the wrestleback bracket When it is all done you will have 11 auotmatic berths per wt class plus wild cards . This means you will have at least 1 wild card per wt class but you could have 9 or more if a wt class where that strong. Just to be an NCAA Qualifier at this level is no small feat. For example at 125 in the Great Lakes Regional Nationally Ranked #1 #4 and #11 were there and as you can imagine they finished in that order at the regional #11 (if I have read this right) Did not get a wildcard bid. You must remember rankings are arbitrary he was on the bubble and got bumped. Now that is exclusive. You are going to have to really work hard if you want to be an All American at this level! Jimmy placed 6th which we felt was exceptioal as a freshman but he knows he has a long way to go if he is to reach his goals.

Tyler Goble set the Rose-Hulman record for career wins this season.  Tyler also broke his own school record for season wins this year.  I don't really think he dropped off the map, but I do believe that the regional that RH competes in hampered his chances in making the National tournament.  The Midwest regional generally only sends one guy per weight class to Nationals.