Was Harper hyped up a bit too much this year??

dmorris2226

The only thing to be said about Harper is that he was injured.  If he had not been injured, he would have claimed number 4.  Most wrestlers would not even attempt to do what he has done this year.  Congrats to him and good luck to him in college.  Most of us could only hope to achieve what he has on the mat. 

The only thing to be said about Harper is that he was injured.  If he had not been injured, he would have claimed number 4.  Most wrestlers would not even attempt to do what he has done this year.  Congrats to him and good luck to him in college.  Most of us could only hope to achieve what he has on the mat. 

There is no way to really tell, but it certainly would not have been a foregone conclusion. Frankie was getting closer and closer even before the injury occurred. Either way, there is nothing to be ashamed of and he had a great career.

Whast was his record 160 something and 4. The 4 losses coming this year I do believe his shoulder had something to do with it. But who knows he still did a great job this year.

Actually he has 5 loses he lost once to someone from Bellmont at team state. Still very impressive career. No hype about it a great wrestler.

I don't mean to get technical here but he actually finished with 6 losses officially (Nelson, Cook, Porras, Spencer, Quiroga, Norton) not too shabby though. Congrats to him on a good career and I hope the surgery goes well and he can recover!

You may refer to the attention as hype, I see it as admiration.  People talk about him because what he did was so unbelievable.  His career was entertaining for all of us to watch.  He gained national attention and made the cover of ESPN magazine!@#$  What other high school kid has brought that kind of attention to Indiana wrestling.  Hype, envy, admiration... whatever it was I have a great deal of respect for what he accomplished on the mat. 

If you are fortunate enough to have spent any time at all with this young man or his family you would also appreciate the humility of this young man.  He is not the kind of kid walking the halls emposing his status on every crumb snatcher in sight.  He is a quiet leader he is self-motivated by his own desire to achieve. 

I had the great pleasure of traveling to Japan with him in 2005 with Team Indiana.  That experience taught me a lot about Josh.  Josh (and I give credit to his parents of course) is the kind of kid you WANT to represent wrestling as a sport.  His titles are certainly impressive.  But, let's not ignore the kind of character he demonstrated in his losses.  How many injury timeouts did you ever see him take?  How many times did he ever throw his headgear, or storm off w/o shaking hands?  This young man has a bright future in more than wrestling.  Instead of trying to point out what went wrong this season, let's take some time to recognize the character displayed in th0se shocking moments when things went wrong!  A true measure of a champion is not always where you land on the poduim.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.