What happens when ?

inmarine77

There is an alternate for each weight from each regional.  That alternate goes in as the number 4 seed from his regional.  Ither seeded wrestlers move up one seed (4 to 3, 3 to 2) until the opening is filled.  There's only 1 alternate, so if 2 wrestlers from the same weight and regional would not be able to participate there would be a forfeit at the #4 seed.

The 152 bracket at Evansville. We got notice last night that the number 1 from Mooresville will not be wrestling. I just want to say this kid was going to make some noise at Evansville and Indianapolis. He was as good on the mat as I have seen this year. I had never gotten to see him wrestle until last weekend and I feel like he would have been on the podium somewhere at Conseco. He sent my son a note last night notifying him and letting him know the reason..which wasn't alcohol, or drugs and we will leave it at that. So this changes things at E-ville. Reese moves to 1, Juliano to 2, Alfs to 3, and Giesking to 4.

Really?  I'd never heard that before.  The form tournaments turn into the IHSAA only has one alternate spot listed on it.  I know because I'll be filling out the one for FWSS again this Saturday.  How does the tournament verify that the correct wrestler is showing up as an alternate of the IHSAA doesn't have the information to provide to them?  They can't just take the wrestler's or coaches word for it.

From Bobby Cox:

B. Regionals to Semi-States ? The 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place contestants in each weight class will advance to the semi-state.

1. Alternates ? If it becomes necessary to provide an alternate for any contestant eligible to advance, the following procedure will be used:

a. The alternate may be officially weighed in immediately after the end of the official weigh-in period.

b. The 1st alternate will be the last individual defeated by the champion who did not advance by placing.

c. When a 1st place contestant is unable to make weight or weigh-in and wrestle, the 2nd place contestant shall be advanced to the position vacated, the 3rd place contestant shall be advanced to the position vacated by the 2nd place contestant, and the 4th place contestant shall be advanced to the position vacated by the 3rd place contestant.

d. When a 2nd place contestant is unable to make weight or weigh-in and wrestle, the 3rd place contestant shall be advanced to the position vacated and the 4th place wrestler shall be advanced to the position vacated by the 3rd place contestant.

e. When the 3rd place contestant is unable to make weight or weigh-in and wrestle, the 4th place contestant shall be advanced to the position vacated by the 3rd place contestant.

f. Flagrant Misconduct ? The advancement procedure above shall also apply when a contestant has been disqualified for flagrant misconduct and is not permitted to advance to the next level of the tournament.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.