Portage Folkstyle Open

TossYaHard

Pat... Get ahold of me if you need me to contact all of the local officials and see who's available to work. I live 3 miles away and sat at home all day watching Lifetime For Women Network with my wife (Sunday is her TV day when there are no major sporting events occurring). I would have been happy to come down and blow the whistle!

Pat... Get ahold of me if you need me to contact all of the local officials and see who's available to work. I live 3 miles away and sat at home all day watching Lifetime For Women Network with my wife (Sunday is her TV day when there are no major sporting events occurring). I would have been happy to come down and blow the whistle!

Chuck needs a second TV at his home , lets pass the hat around and take a collection, No man should ever have to go through that! :o

THANKS to everyone that helped us out Sunday.  I think it was obvious we were not expecting 580 people and we were still able to get out of there at a decent hour!  Thanks to all table helpers, referees, and pairers!!!!!!  Without all the help we wouldn't have made it through the day.

As far as officials go, it's food for thought.

Thanks,

Portage Coaching Staff

It was a long day. The Portage crew did a great job, 580 is a big number. The long day was no reflection on how the tournament was run, just allot of wrestlers!

As far as the refs, I couldn't agree more. Is it going to take someone getting seriously hurt to get paid officials? There's been allot of liability talk on the board about wrestling up in age, what about unlicensed officials? I saw some scary stuff as well. As a matter of fact, watching the duel last night between Mich. and Mich St. the refs were more careful with the college guys as far as potentially dangerous situations. I watched some video last night of a particular situation, it looked even worse than it did live and to see the "ref" standing over the kids and doing nothing, VERY BAD SITUATION.

Obviously, you all were not at the same tournament I was at.  It seems as if you took on a lot more then you could handle. I would stick with running your tournaments on Super Bowl Sunday. There was a lot of mats open  more then once. Wrestlers could have been wrestling in another room. By breaking up the dividions.  I agree there should have been regular refs at least for the older kids, because some of them were terrible. I know that you need a lot of people to run a tournament.  They also should have told the parents to stay in the bleachers, so that everyone could see what was going on. Thank god there was no fire.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.