IU vs PU

Purdue - 12  Indiana - 21  (2/6/2009) 

View Stats      View as a PDF      View in MS Excel      Agate as a PDF      Agate in MS Excel      Agate in Text 

Non Match Team Points (Deductions/Criteria) 

School  Points  Reason  Wt Class 

Purdue  -1  Unsportsmanlike Conduct (Coach)  184 

Select  Wt Class  Name  School  Opponent Name  Opponent School  Result  WinType  Score  Tourney Place  In Progress 

View  125  Akif Eren  Purdue  Angel Escobedo  Indiana  L  FALL  1:50  No 

View  133  Carson Beebe  Purdue  Matt Ortega  Indiana  W  DEC  5 - 2  No 

View  141  Juan Archuleta  Purdue  Andrae Hernandez  Indiana  L  DEC  7 - 3  No 

View  149  Jake Patacsil  Purdue  Nick Walpole  Indiana  W  DEC  5 - 4  No 

View  157  Colton Salazar  Purdue  Kurt Kinser  Indiana  L  DEC  5 - 3  No 

View  165  Luke Manuel  Purdue  Paul Young  Indiana  W  DEC  3 - 0  No 

View  174  Nicholas Corpe  Purdue  Trevor Perry  Indiana  L  DEC  3 - 2  No 

View  184  A.J. Kissel  Purdue  Seth Parker  Indiana  W  MD  16 - 2  No 

View  197  Logan Brown  Purdue  Matt Powless  Indiana  L  DEC  4 - 3  No 

View  285  Chris Kasten  Purdue  Nathan Everhart  Indiana  L  DEC  3 - 1  No 

Bloomington ? University Gym buzzed with excitement tonight. Invaded by the cross state rival Boilermakers, it was up to Goldman?s gorilla?s to hold serve against Hinkle?s host. The crowd, larger than most in recent years, filled fully three sides of the arena. Both teams well represented by believers and well wishers. But the combatants! They virtually crackled with electric anticipation. After the Hoosier heart breaker last year in West Lafayette, both teams clearly felt they had something to settle?.not a fluke on the Boilermaker?s minds, and payback on the Hoosier?s. 

125 opened the battle. Angel Escobedo drawing first blood like another day at the office. Sweet, smooth, and swift, the 2008 National Champ seemed to be in good form, pinning his foe nearly within a minute of the opening round. Hoosierdaddy predicted a 5 point win, but took six with relish, thank you very much. You?ve got to admire the courage, heart, and determination of this young man, continuing to battle it out with a seemingly jellylike shoulder. Gratz Angel!

133 went as predicted by Hoosierdaddy with Conner Beebe holding out against Ortega. Beebe used some killer legs and Ortega couldn?t get off the mat. The later has shown some flashes against the warm up crowd that IU deals with until the Midlands and Big Ten season, but reality is now setting in. Welcome to the big ten kid. Grow some muscles to go along with all that flipping and flopping and you might have something in a couple of years.

141 paired Hernandez against Archuleta?.who? Anyway, a nice effort from Andre tonight as he did not give up after an inspired opening from Purdue. Andre wrestled all seven minutes tonight, worked hard for the win, and came away the victor. It was nice to see a smile on his face again. The next four opponents will test his mental mettle. Hoosierdaddy is four for four up to this point.

149 entertained all as Nick Walpole had his energizer batteries fully charged and gave the highly favored Patacsil all he could handle.  As time wound down, the crowd and both teams were on their feet.  Alas a win was not in the cards for the cream and crimson on this one. Walpole, as you might expect looked very disappointed with himself after the loss, though from this observer?s view, while the Purdue cat didn?t show me much, no matter how highly he is rated, Nick wrestled lights out and should be congratulated for the effort.

157 earned Hoosierdaddy another notch in the win category as IU charmer Kurt KinSer took Colton Salazar the distance with a 5-3 decision it wasn?t really as close as it seems. Kinser?s pure power took over in this match though Salazar fought off the former?s signature move throughout. 

165 meant rest room time for me so I didn?t see the entire match. On the way back, it appeared Young looked to gas a bit. Still, Manuel is somewhat the real deal as I understand it, though I may be mistaken and holding him to 3-0 seems like a pretty decent effort to me. I?d be hard pressed to question Young?s conditioning, though from the look on Goldman?s face, I think he was expecting a bit more.

174 and Hoosierdaddy takes his first beat of the match. Perry shows that there is gas in his tank. Corpe tried several shots but made the mistake of trying to wrap his arms around Trevor?s redwood like thighs? bad idea. Perry simply straightens his legs and boom, the hold is done. I thought that conditioning may play a factor in this one, but thankfully, Perry proved me wrong as he looked as strong in the last period as he did in the first. Nice win.

184 is a bit of a black hole for IU at the moment. Goldman inserts Seth Parker in place of Eric Cameron only to have Kissel eat him for dinner. Suffice to say that Parker seemed a little overmatched and Kissel took care of business.

197 proved to be the match of the night as youngster Matt Powless, bandaged head and all, came at favored Logan Brown at the first whistle and continued coming and coming and coming. Brown did all he could do to gain a slim lead heading into the final period. Powless would not be denied, however, as he relentlessly assaulted his Boilermaker foe. As the minutes wound down to seconds, about 15 ticks as a matter of fact, Brown started backing up trying to secure the win and bring Purdue even with the Hoosiers. Powless looked like something possessed. He rushed and enveloped Brown in what looked to be a bear hug only to slide into an inside trip, ala early Escobedo, and take Brown down in stunning fashion for a one point victory. The gym erupted with cheers, IU fans, IU wrestlers, and IU coaches pumped fists in the air, high fived each other, screamed and applauded the heroic effort Powless put forth.  Outstanding win for this kid who seems to be blossoming as the Big Ten season starts to shift into high gear.  Second loss of the night for Hoosierdaddy predictions, though one I?d live with any day of the week.

285 proved a bit anti-climatic. Purdue needed a pin to tie and Kasten never really looked interested in pursuing this end in his match with Everhart. Nate eventually earns the W with a 3-1 decision in a kind of ho-hum match. Of course, I was still reeling after the Powless match which was something hard to follow and live up to. Another blotch in the loss column bringing the nights predictions to 7-3.

In summation, what?s not to like, two intense rivals, a large crowd, a nice venue, great wrestling, animated coaching, (Hinkle earns an unsportsmanship penalty point and Duane was his usual self, yelling and pacing and willing his wrestlers to compete), and IU wins! Perhaps one small drawback is how the fans get raped for $3 each on sodas, or a small popcorn or a candy bar. What?s that all about?

Thanks for your recap HD.  It is always good to see some perspective from someone that was actually in the building.

I was very interested with the 197 analysis.

Will IU every let Powless wrestle at his natural weight?