Tech. Fall same points as a pin?

niceshot

Dual meet, team A has 7 pins in the first period, losing kids don't  score any offensive points.. team score  42

team B has 6 pins in the first period and dec, all losing kids score a takedown ( yet still lose in the 1st ) team score  39, except your way, the score would be 46, which would mean, the losing team would win.. lol.  Because?  There kids who lost scored.  So, you tell the kids on the team who had the 7 pins, we lost cause there kids who lost scored, but still got pinned nonetheless. 

How goes the quote " defense wins championships "  I think that explains it, score enough, defend better.  I'd rather kids wrestle, than avoid.  Team or no team, it's called wrestling, not avoiding.  A true wrestler who lost, knows he lost an knows there is no Team Point coming, nor should he think he should get one for a TD, ect.  Adjusting the team point structure for the losing kids who get offensive points..

Almost all sports with a clock system have the controlled stall, get ahead, ride it out.  Football, basketball, soccer, it's part of the game.  I enjoy watching a good defensive wrestler control the match, he's doing what he should be doing.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sometimes doing nothing is better than doing something.  this is one of those times. 

i know that change is the big buzzword this year.  change simply for the sake of change is usually illadvised.  any change has to be thouroughly thought out. 

there are only two ideas that i think are even feasible.  one would be to stand both wrestlers up after, say 20 seconds of inactivity on the mat.  the other would be to implement riding time like in college. 

any other changes i can't really go for.  i am still pissed at hockey for getting rid of all of the traditional names for their divisions and conferences.

sometimes doing nothing is better than doing something. this is one of those times.

i know that change is the big buzzword this year. change simply for the sake of change is usually illadvised. any change has to be thouroughly thought out.

You're right, change for the sake of changing is illadvised if not thoughout thoroughly. But I have thought this out, and it only encourages wrestlers to be more offensive-minded. This idea won't have a signficant effect on the matches in which one wrestler is far superior to the other. But where it will have an effect is in the tightly contested matches in which both wrestlers are going back and forth. I just don't think a match in which is dominated by one wrestler by 5, 6, or 7 points, should be scored (team) the same as a tight 1 or 2 point match, when both guys are scoring.

there are only two ideas that i think are even feasible. one would be to stand both wrestlers up after, say 20 seconds of inactivity on the mat. the other would be to implement riding time like in college.

The idea of standing up the wrestlers after 20 seconds on the mat is the idea I've suggested previously. Most turns take place within the first 20 seconds of a takedown. After that it is much more difficult to turn. At that point it becomes, is top and/or bottom man stalling because nothing is really going on. This is why I'm firmly against riding time, because it impedes scoring more than creating it. Riding is just glorified stalling, and riding time is encouraging it.

Dual meet, team A has 7 pins in the first period, losing kids don't  score any offensive points.. team score   42

team B has 6 pins in the first period and dec, all losing kids score a takedown ( yet still lose in the 1st ) team score  39, except your way, the score would be 46, which would mean, the losing team would win.. lol.  Because?  There kids who lost scored.  So, you tell the kids on the team who had the 7 pins, we lost cause there kids who lost scored, but still got pinned nonetheless.

Alright, slightly far-fetched but I'll bite.  If you're going to use this logic, I'll use an example with the current system.

Team A - Wins 9 matches by a minor decision - 27 points

Team B - Wins 5 matches by fall - 30 points

Team B wins the meet although they only won 5 matches of the 14.  Why should Team A lose since they won almost twice as many matches as Team B?  I'm just using your logic.

How goes the quote " defense wins championships "  I think that explains it, score enough, defend better.  I'd rather kids wrestle, than avoid.  Team or no team, it's called wrestling, not avoiding.

You're right, I want to encourage kids to wrestle too.  Which my idea is EXACTLY doing.

A true wrestler who lost, knows he lost an knows there is no Team Point coming, nor should he think he should get one for a TD, ect.

And a true wrestler knows that all losses aren't counted the same on the team score.

Almost all sports with a clock system have the controlled stall, get ahead, ride it out.  Football, basketball, soccer, it's part of the game.  I enjoy watching a good defensive wrestler control the match, he's doing what he should be doing.

I can appreciate good defense and wouldn't want to penalize it.  Riding isn't good defense, it's glorified stalling.

Posted by: wcs145

I can appreciate good defense and wouldn't want to penalize it.  Riding isn't good defense, it's glorified stalling.

anyone who has ever had to ride someone out to win can tell you that there is no "glorified stalling" to it. against any good wrestler that is trying to get away to win it is a great challenge to ride someone out. it is how the final round of OT is setup for this very reason.

anyone who has ever had to ride someone out to win can tell you that there is no "glorified stalling" to it. against any good wrestler that is trying to get away to win it is a great challenge to ride someone out. it is how the final round of OT is setup for this very reason.

When you're on top and you're looking to just hold on and not score, it is stalling.  What's it called when I'm neutral and blocking off my opponents shot attempts but am not looking to score myself?  It's stalling.  How this different from me riding someone out to keep them from scoring, but am not looking to score myself necessarily?

When you're on top and you're looking to just hold on and not score, it is stalling.  What's it called when I'm neutral and blocking off my opponents shot attempts but am not looking to score myself?  It's stalling.  How this different from me riding someone out to keep them from scoring, but am not looking to score myself necessarily?

I believe it has to do more with activity rather than an intention to score....Alot of kids dont really do alot in terms of actively trying to score, but never get hit with stalling...This is due to the fact that they keep moving, handfighting, improving position, etc.

I believe it has to do more with activity rather than an intention to score....Alot of kids dont really do alot in terms of actively trying to score, but never get hit with stalling...This is due to the fact that they keep moving, handfighting, improving position, etc.

You can be active without the intention to score in the neutral position as well.  The difference is, it's more likely to be perceived as stalling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.