Iowa vs. OK St.

Anyone catch that Ayala v. Spratley match. Great match with some chippiness to it! Worth a watch for sure.

Edited by Beamaker
Typo

Yes, definitely a very entertaining match. As was the entire dual.

Iowa claimed a dominate victory against one of the best teams in the nation. Once again showing there is nothing wrong in Iowa. But instead a testament to PSU & Michigan for their dual wins against them this year.

1 hour ago, SIACfan said:

Yes, definitely a very entertaining match. As was the entire dual.

Iowa claimed a dominate victory against one of the best teams in the nation. Once again showing there is nothing wrong in Iowa. But instead a testament to PSU & Michigan for their dual wins against them this year.

Agreed, the entire dual had some great match ups. Got me wondering if OK ST was just overranked,  their guys wrestled down a bit, Iowa wrestled extremely well, and/or Iowa wrestled down against Mich and PSU? Some combination of all probably. I agree that the criticism of Coach Brands is certainly not legitimate and Hawkeye nation is just fine and will continue to be fine moving forward. PSU is clicking on all cylinders with no signs of stopping soon and Mich really put together a superb team this year.  Looking forward to Big10s and then the big show to find out!
Who stops Fix this year?

Who stops Fix? He seems to stop himself in the championships over the years. Or maybe people were over optimistic with him going into the championships. Either way ,the weight class has several men that can end up with the title. Fix being one. 

15 hours ago, Beamaker said:

Agreed, the entire dual had some great match ups. Got me wondering if OK ST was just overranked,  their guys wrestled down a bit, Iowa wrestled extremely well, and/or Iowa wrestled down against Mich and PSU? Some combination of all probably. I agree that the criticism of Coach Brands is certainly not legitimate and Hawkeye nation is just fine and will continue to be fine moving forward. PSU is clicking on all cylinders with no signs of stopping soon and Mich really put together a superb team this year.  Looking forward to Big10s and then the big show to find out!
Who stops Fix this year?

His offense has a ceiling. So when he faces someone with world class attacks like Vito with similar defensive ability, he struggles to keep up. I don't think he can win that match. 

8 hours ago, maligned said:

His offense has a ceiling. So when he faces someone with world class attacks like Vito with similar defensive ability, he struggles to keep up. I don't think he can win that match. 

I have noticed this also. Do you think it’s a self imposed ceiling because he tightens up his offense against elite talent out of fear of leaving them an opening, or he just doesn’t have the offensive tools to beat the elite?

4 minutes ago, Beamaker said:

I have noticed this also. Do you think it’s a self imposed ceiling because he tightens up his offense against elite talent out of fear of leaving them an opening, or he just doesn’t have the offensive tools to beat the elite?

I don't think it's an effort or fear thing. I just don't think he's ever developed an outside game. If you watch him against elite freestylers, where hand fighting is everything, they bog him down in close. Or they're elite athletes (like his 2 losses at NCAAs last year) that keep him at their distance and cherry pick a shot or two. In both scenarios, he can't get off the launching pad for his in-close straight-on shots, ducks, or high-c's. He doesn't have anything dynamic at far outside angles or from space. (We're obviously only talking about the elite of the elite where this comes into play. He's got plenty of horsepower and offense for all but 1 or 2 guys at NCAAs and for matching up against almost all of our freestylers domestically. He's also capable of beating even some of the elite globally at times because of his engine, effort, defense, and positioning.)

1 minute ago, maligned said:

I don't think it's an effort or fear thing. I just don't think he's ever developed an outside game. If you watch him against elite freestylers, where hand fighting is everything, they bog him down in close. Or they're elite athletes (like his 2 losses at NCAAs last year) that keep him at their distance and cherry pick a shot or two. In both scenarios, he can't get off the launching pad for his in-close straight-on shots, ducks, or high-c's. He doesn't have anything dynamic at far outside angles or from space. (We're obviously only talking about the elite of the elite where this comes into play. He's got plenty of horsepower and offense for all but 1 or 2 guys at NCAAs and for matching up against almost all of our freestylers domestically. He's also capable of beating even some of the elite globally at times because of his engine, effort, defense, and positioning.)

Dam that’s a spot on assessment! I had noticed he doesn’t get in on the elite talent like he does most others. I thought it was more a function of holding back, but you’re right. His offense gets stymied by elite head/hands and “space” wrestlers. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Eyes opened.

3 minutes ago, Beamaker said:

Dam that’s a spot on assessment! I had noticed he doesn’t get in on the elite talent like he does most others. I thought it was more a function of holding back, but you’re right. His offense gets stymied by elite head/hands and “space” wrestlers. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Eyes opened.

One more thing to get further into the weeds on this (ha!)...guys with his squatty body type that win world freestyle titles tend to have an upper body game that forces proximity. Think I-Mar domestically with a constant underhook (or Yazdani from Iran, although he's not as squatty physically). Or they'll force proximity and danger through arm tie/foot sweep/throw series that don't have great payoff in folk style because of their low success rate (and therefore tend not to get developed by our guys). 

2 minutes ago, maligned said:

One more thing to get further into the weeds on this (ha!)...guys with his squatty body type that win world freestyle titles tend to have an upper body game that forces proximity. Think I-Mar domestically with a constant underhook (or Yazdani from Iran, although he's not as squatty physically). Or they'll force proximity and danger through arm tie/foot sweep/throw series that don't have great payoff in folk style because of their low success rate (and therefore tend not to get developed by our guys). 

Another great insight.  I think we see more payoff at the heavier wts for arm ties, upper body throws, etc. but at the smaller weights you make a great point. Keep them coming!!

Enter sweep single…