Levi Haines looked super crisp against Robb. Not wrestling as defensively and aggressively taking shots and working hard to finish shots. Robb’s defense is excellent and Haines still got in deep several times and finished a couple. Rapidly approaching that magical time of year in college wrestling… can’t wait!

On 2/19/2024 at 3:50 PM, Beamaker said:

Levi Haines looked super crisp against Robb. Not wrestling as defensively and aggressively taking shots and working hard to finish shots. Robb’s defense is excellent and Haines still got in deep several times and finished a couple. Rapidly approaching that magical time of year in college wrestling… can’t wait!

Haines seems to be peaking, with the demolition of #5 Franek and #7 Robb. Generally, though, that 157 weight seems so wide open. Haines deserves to be ranked #1, but he's had some really tight coin-flip matches. Zerban at #2 is undefeated but has really only wrestled #8 Cardenas and it went to overtime. Teemer at #3, Blockhus at #4, and Franek at #5 all have bad losses on their resumes. 

Anyway, you get the picture. Wide open. I'd actually pick #6 Meyer Shapiro after Haines. He's a freshman just coming into his own with massive pre-college credentials. He lost twice over the holidays and hasn't lost since, controlling everyone he's faced and mostly getting bonuses against good guys. I saw him whitewash Top 10 Paddy Gallagher, 15-0, before Gallagher later went down with injury. Shapiro will be a handful at NCAAs. WrestleStat has him at #1 now. 

I agree it is wide open, but I'm not sure how WrestleStat has Shapiro ranked above an undefeated Levi Haines? But I haven't seen Shapiro wrestle.

Plus I don't think WrestleStat is giving Franek & Robb enough credit.

But there is probably 16 or more guys at 157 who could all possibly make AA this year.

7 hours ago, SIACfan said:

I agree it is wide open, but I'm not sure how WrestleStat has Shapiro ranked above an undefeated Levi Haines? But I haven't seen Shapiro wrestle.

Plus I don't think WrestleStat is giving Franek & Robb enough credit.

But there is probably 16 or more guys at 157 who could all possibly make AA this year.

I agree. His rankings are usually more intuitive than that.

I am most excited to see Haines wrestle Michael Blockhus at Big Tens. Blockhus has made a big improvement this year but until he wrestles Haines its hard to say for certain that he will be able to compete for a championship.