Iran wrestling news

On 12/13/2023 at 10:22 PM, Uwwdoc said:

I mean if the guy beats everyone in his weight in the country he deserves the chance no?

He wrestles Azarpira in the tournament final tomorrow.

I reckon winner of this somewhere down the line wrestles Kamran for the Olympic spot or they might send them to a international tournament.

Goleij lost today 

Azarpira is our future at 97kg, I'm not surprised he beat Mohammadian (quite relieved). He's only 21 and should have room for growth

He needs a strong showing at the Olympics to redeem himself after his embarrassing capitulation at Worlds (in hindsight we should have sent Babaloo at 92kg)

97kg will be very difficult, Taz Sad Snyder and Magomedov being the top dogs. Winning a bronze will probably require a good draw and beating one of those 4

• 2 weeks later...

Zagreb Open - 10-15 January 2024 (FS 10th and 11th Jan)

Iran is sending (for FS):

65kg:

- Savadkouhi

- Amouzad

74kg:

- Abouzari

- Emami

79kg:

- Azami 

- Nokhodi 

86kg:

- Vafaeipour

97kg:

- Ghasempour

- Azarpira

125kg:

- Masoumi

- Zare

Also wrestling: Yianni (65kg), Burroughs (74kg), Valencia (86kg), Snyder (97kg), Geno (125kg) and Mason Parris (125kg). 74kg and 125kg are very strong here, but 97kg is quite weak other than Snyder. This should be very fun. 

We are also sending a GR team: Sohrabi (67kg), Abdi (77kg), Mohmadi (87kg), Hedayati (130kg)

5 hours ago, The Genius said:

Zagreb Open - 10-15 January 2024 (FS 10th and 11th Jan)

Iran is sending (for FS):

65kg:

- Savadkouhi

- Amouzad

74kg:

- Abouzari

- Emami

79kg:

- Azami 

- Nokhodi 

86kg:

- Vafaeipour

97kg:

- Ghasempour

- Azarpira

125kg:

- Masoumi

- Zare

Also wrestling: Yianni (65kg), Burroughs (74kg), Valencia (86kg), Snyder (97kg), Geno (125kg) and Mason Parris (125kg). 74kg and 125kg are very strong here, but 97kg is quite weak other than Snyder. This should be very fun. 

We are also sending a GR team: Sohrabi (67kg), Abdi (77kg), Mohmadi (87kg), Hedayati (130kg)

Strange no Javan or anyone at 57.

I'm guessing this will determine also potentially who comes out on top for Olympic selection..

Eyes have to be on 97kg. That's gonna be interesting.

اعزام آزادکاران به اولین تورنمنت رنکینگ‌دار و سرشاخ رقیب یزدانی و قاسم‌پور با حریفان به گزارش خبرنگار ورزشی خبرگزاری فارس، مسابقات کشتی آزاد و فرنگی تورنمنت بین‌المللی زاگرب (اولین مسابقه رنکینگ‌دار اتحادیه جهانی) روزهای ۲۰ تا ۲۴ دی‌ماه برگزار خواهد شد که کشتی‌گیران کشورمان در این رویداد حضور خواهند داشت که ۱۸ دی ماه به زاگرب سفر می‌کنند. در کشتی آزاد کشورمان در اوزان ۵۷ و ۶۱ کیلوگرم کشتی‌گیری نخواهد داشت. قرار است ملی‌پوشان در ۵ وزن راهی زاگرب شوند. اسامی به شرح زیر است: ۶۵ کیلوگرم: عباس ابراهیم زاده و رحمان عموزاد ۷۴ کیلوگرم: یونس امامی و قاسم ابوذری ۸۶ کیلوگرم: هادی وفایی‌پور ۹۷ کیلوگرم: کامران قاسم‌پور و امیرعلی آذرپیرا ۱۲۵ کیلوگرم: امیرحسین زارع و امیررضا معصومی روز چهارشنبه ۲۰ دی مسابقات کشتی آزاد در اوزان ۵۷، ۶۱، ۶۵، ۷۰، ۷۴، ۸۶ کیلوگرم برگزار خواهد شد. فینال این اوزان نیز عصر همان روز برگزار می‌شود. روز پنجشنبه ۲۱ دی‌ماه مسابقات در اوزان ۷۹، ۹۲، ۹۷ و ۱۲۵ کیلوگرم در مرحله مقدماتی تا فینال پیگیری خواهد شد. پایان پیام

On 1/1/2024 at 7:35 PM, Uwwdoc said:

Strange no Javan or anyone at 57.

I'm guessing this will determine also potentially who comes out on top for Olympic selection..

Eyes have to be on 97kg. That's gonna be interesting.

I'm very interested in 125kg, hopefully we see Zare vs Parris round 2 (also be great to see Masoumi vs Parris or Geno... just hope Masoumi and Zare don't draw each other early)

3 hours ago, FamileDoor said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

What are the chances Kamran takes out Snyder and Azarpira the other two Americans and we get a nice all Iran final.

some interesting matches for Masoumi, is the Georgian the guy that wrestled at 97?

Also Vafaeipour’s tournaments done, he’s got isr waiting in the next round.

Emami gave up a late step out to lose to Abouzari 4-4 in the quarters then didn’t come out for his repechatge match. 

Abouzari nolf final and huge Amouzad  Tevanyan final coming up later.

Impressed by Abouzari, he becomes a serious contender if he can beat Nolf

Looks like we are headed towards Snyder vs Ghasempour SF and Snyder vs Azarpira final tomorrow

Maybe Masoumi vs Zare final too, but Masoumi will be in some interesting matches regardless

Nolf defeats Abouzari 10-1

Abouzari started well but totally gassed early in the second period and it was one way traffic from then. A bit similar to some of the DT-Yazdani matches (or a lot of USA-Iran matches)

Three upsets of the day:

- Abouzari defeats Emami 4*-4

- Chance Marsteller (usually at 79kg) defeats Osman Nurmagamedov (usually at 92kg) at 86kg

- Zahid Valencia loses 10-2 in the first round to an unknown Ukrainian at 86kg (how the hell did Azarpira lose to this guy)

Tomorrow should be better with Ghasempour, Azarpira, Zare and Masoumi. I predict Zare to win Gold and Azarpira to win Silver 

9 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Abouzari started well but totally gassed early in the second period and it was one way traffic from then. A bit similar to some of the DT-Yazdani matches (or a lot of USA-Iran matches)

Three upsets of the day:

- Chance Marsteller (usually at 79kg) defeats Osman Nurmagamedov (usually at 92kg) at 86kg

- Zahid Valencia loses 10-2 in the first round to an unknown Ukrainian at 86kg (how the hell did Azarpira lose to this guy)

Tomorrow should be better with Ghasempour, Azarpira, Zare and Masoumi. I predict Zare to win Gold and Azarpira to win Silver 

To be fair to Azarpira he cut heavily for 92.

36 minutes ago, kkiane said:

To be fair to Azarpira he cut heavily for 92.

We just saw Zahid cut even more to get to 86kg 

Even before Azarpira gassed it was much more competitive than it should have been IMO

But hopefully Azarpira establishes himself at 97kg now

Ghasempour will not beat Snyder, but Azarpira has a small chance 

7 minutes ago, The Genius said:

We just saw Zahid cut even more to get to 86kg 

Even before Azarpira gassed it was much more competitive than it should have been IMO

But hopefully Azarpira establishes himself at 97kg now

Ghasempour will not beat Snyder, but Azarpira has a small chance 

And look what happened to Zahid, knocked out in first round.

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

Three upsets of the day:

Penn state vs Iran more like.

They know what they are doing there in Penn state!

6 hours ago, The Genius said:

Three upsets of the day:

Don’t consider Valencia losing an upset tbh. Remember last year when we were all hyped for him against Hassan then he barely scrapped through a match against some Chinese guy then got teched by Ishiguro. 86 doesn’t seem to be the weight for him.

Biggest disappointment was Emami, at a time when you’d hope he’d be stepping up a gear that was a big setback. Wanted to think it was Abouzari going up a level but the gulf between him and nolf was huge.

21 minutes ago, kmrabr said:

Don’t consider Valencia losing an upset tbh. Remember last year when we were all hyped for him against Hassan then he barely scrapped through a match against some Chinese guy then got teched by Ishiguro. 86 doesn’t seem to be the weight for him.

Biggest disappointment was Emami, at a time when you’d hope he’d be stepping up a gear that was a big setback. Wanted to think it was Abouzari going up a level but the gulf between him and nolf was huge.

Biggest winner out of thar 74kg situation is AM Yazdani. I don't actually know what the selection cycle looks like right now with the change in coaching staff. But with the referee controversy in his match at the nationals combined with Abouzari getting demolished by Nolf and Emami losing too. I think he can throw his hat back in for selection. Let's see what happens....I'd be shocked if the 74kg rep is anyone other than Emami or Yazdani. Until today I thought it was set to be Emami to be honest.

Azarpira blasts through American Machiavelli in under 2 mins, looking very strong and explosive (though has a cut under his eye?) and beat Baran 5-0 in the first round (looked less good there)

Ghasempour beat China 5-2 if I remember correctly, he looked OK but not spectacular. Hard to gage until he faces someone better but I am not convinced he has much chance here

Things are shaping up nicely at 125kg. Zare looks absolutely incredible - teched Deng 10-0 in the first period, he has never done that before. I like Masoumi but Zare is the best in the world right now. Zare faces Gwiz next, which I am sure Gwiz is looking forward to, lol. 

Masoumi beat Georgian 6-2 in the first round then Hemida (Egypt) 3-0 in the second round. Faces a tough Azerbaijani in the next round. Nicely set up for Geno-Zare and Masoumi-Parris semis. 

Masoumi beats Dishvili 8-4 and progresses to the SF. The scoreline is kind to Dishvili, Masoumi controlled the match but he has a very relaxed style and prefers to sit on a lead rather than hammer the lead home and close the show

Zare destroys Gwiz 11-0. Zare vs Geno and Masoumi vs Parris semis confirmed!

Azarpira defeats another American (Trumble) 8-7. Wow. That was terrible. He looks very vulnerable in scrambles and showed horrible conditioning again! Totally gassed at the end. I have to change my mind about Azarpira now, I don't think he can be our guy... How does he go from teching Tsakulov to this ?! 

Ghasempour defeats Turkey 6-1 in a solid performance and will wrestle Snyder in the SF

Edited by The Genius

11 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Masoumi beats Dishvili 8-4 and progresses to the SF. The scoreline is kind to Dishvili, Masoumi controlled the match but he has a very relaxed style and prefers to sit on a lead rather than hammer the lead home and close the show

Azarpira defeats another American (Trumble) 8-7. Wow. That was terrible. He looks very vulnerable in scrambles and showed horrible conditioning again! Totally gassed at the end. I have to change my mind about Azarpira now, I don't think he can be our guy... How does he go from teching Tsakulov to this ?! 

Ghasempour defeats Turkey 6-1 in a solid performance and will wrestle Snyder in the SF

If Kamran beats Snyder I reckon he gets the Olympic spot. To be honest I reckon they give it to him anyway. Fair play to Kamran he's doing really well considering he is not a natural 97kg wrestler.