Iran wrestling news

4 hours ago, wrestfan said:

probably Emami beating Bizhoev 3-1. or Mohammadnejad-Javan beating Gamzatov 9-5

Mohammadian once again found a way to lose a match, this time to Kurbanov 4-1. Atri and Savadkouhi also lost winnable matches.

Thanks. Emami continues his impressive run (Nolf loss aside). Did Mohammadian have a new excuse for this loss? He is running out of excuses to explain the obvious: he is not that good now. Savadkouhi's inconsistency is very annoying. 

11 minutes ago, The Genius said:

I don't see Mirzazadeh or Kayaalp on the UWW website under 130kg for some reason, did they withdraw or am I missing something?

I noticed that as well but I haven’t seen any news regarding it. Mirzazadeh did a whole interview leading up to the event. Strange.

In a rematch of their 2021 worlds final match (which Dalkhani won 5-4), Dalkhani defeats Abuladze 8-7 to win Gold here. Another dramatic match between these two. Dalkhani led 5-0 after the first period then found himself 7-5 down after being gut wrenched three times in a row from parterre, but he found a push out and TD in the last 10 seconds to get the victory.

Dalkhani is clearly a top 3 guy at 63kg and strong contender for Gold. One of our best young talents (I think he is 25). 

Our GR team is full of talent at the lower and upper weights, but very weak around the middle (72-87kg).

Edited by The Genius

I don't understand why (or what) they challenged after Geraei was close to being pinned for about 20 seconds (lost challenge) but he showed levels in the second period and won easily. 

He will wrestle Abuladze in the SF (should be easy) then hopefully Zoidze in the final (should be a great test). 

1 minute ago, kkiane said:

Anyone got any idea why MR Geraei is up at 72?

He has even wrestled at 77kg before, I guess he prefers to wrestle at 72kg during the year then cut to 67kg for Worlds/Olympics. For example he wrestled at 72kg at the Bolat Cup in 2022 before going back down to 67kg at Worlds.

Geraei just got destroyed 8-0 in just over 60 seconds by Georgia's #2 guy who has never medalled in any tournament of note. Geraei continues his tradition of making stupid challenges and obviously losing them. 

Once he lost the challenge he seemed to rush and got caught out for another 4 points. Not very icey of him. 

Fortunately he can only face one Georgian at worlds (probably Zoidze) but this was quite worrying. His chances of winning more Gold at Worlds/Olympics seem slim if he has to get through the Kazakh that is 4-0 against him and Georgia (Zoidze or this guy) to get there.

Edited by The Genius

4 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Geraei just got destroyed 8-0 in just over 60 seconds by Georgia's #2 guy who has never medalled in any tournament of note. Geraei continues his tradition of making stupid challenges and obviously losing them. 

Once he lost the challenge he seemed to rush and got caught out for another 4 points. Not very icey of him. 

Fortunately he can only face one Georgian at worlds (probably Zoidze) but this was quite worrying. His chances of winning more Gold at Worlds/Olympics seem slim if he has to get through the Kazakh that is 4-0 against Geraei and Georgia (Zoidze or this guy) to get there.

I’d prefer it to happen here than at the world champs. He needed this in my opinion, he needs to be brought back down. If he can get back to 2021 form our first 4 weights are looking very interesting. 

26 minutes ago, kkiane said:

I’d prefer it to happen here than at the world champs. He needed this in my opinion, he needs to be brought back down. If he can get back to 2021 form our first 4 weights are looking very interesting. 

I don't think there is ever a good time to be destroyed like that by a nobody (no disrespect intended). 

Luckily we have a lot of talent around 60-67kg so I am sure we can find someone to replace him after Paris (if he doesn't return to form). 

Firouzpour lost to Baran 6-4. Unfortunately he has lost many times recently. I think we can rule him out of contention for Paris. 

Which leaves Goleij, Mohammadian, Ghasempour and Azarpira at 97kg. All four have lost to Snyder in the last few years.

Goleij had the closest match and is arguably the best choice for a medal. Mohammadian is the only one of the four to have defeated Snyder but that was a while ago and I don't think we should give him a third chance to disappoint us and come up with a new excuse; 2019 Mohammadian isn't coming back. Ghasempour is the most talented wrestler but his loss was quite decisive, although he wasn't supposed to wrestle Snyder and has 18 months to adapt. Azarpira's loss was also decisive but he is young and managed to keep it close.

Mohammadian is unreliable, I am not sure Ghasempour is big enough or if Azarpira has enough time to close the gap. I think it should/will be Goleij, although Mohammadian tends to beat him which complicates things. Hopefully Ghasempour/Azarpira surprise us, otherwise I am happy with Goleij to bring us home at least a Bronze.

Edited by The Genius