Iran wrestling news

11 hours ago, The Genius said:

I don't want to be too positive about it given his lack of ambition which may have made the result closer than it otherwise would have been, but given their relative age and experience it definitely wasn't a bad result. 

Unfortunately, Snyder has now defeated Goleij, Mohammadian, Ghasempour and Azarpira all in the last few years. Of those when you look at who has the best chance to defeat him, I would probably go for Goleij but none of them are favourites to do so.

Yeah the only guys that could effectively move Snyder around were 2020 Mohammadian and Goleij, and I think it’s far to assume the Mohammadian of three years ago isn’t coming back.

Iran has sent a very strong GR team here. 

Dadmarz, Mohsennejad, Dehbozorgi, Iman Mohammadi, Sohrabi, Abdi, Kavianinejad, MA Geraei, Mohmadi, Poshtam, Yousofi and others.

Unfortunately no one at 97kg but Saravi is our guy there anyway. Very excited to see Mohammadi and Sohrabi.  

6 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Iran has sent a very strong GR team here. 

Dadmarz, Mohsennejad, Dehbozorgi, Iman Mohammadi, Sohrabi, Abdi, Kavianinejad, MA Geraei, Mohmadi, Poshtam, Yousofi and others.

Unfortunately no one at 97kg but Saravi is our guy there anyway. Very excited to see Mohammadi and Sohrabi.  

Apparently Javaheri is promising as well. Are the two Mohammadis at 63 brothers?

Edited by kkiane

5 minutes ago, LJB said:

big geraei survived a bit of a scare...

He’s not the same as he used to be. Perhaps the iceman has melted. I might be getting the nicknames mixed up.

Edited by kkiane

28 minutes ago, kkiane said:

Apparently Javaheri is promising as well. Are the two Mohammadis at 63 brothers?

I assume so although I've never heard of the older brother before.

M.A. Geraei is not the same as he used to be. On his day he was the most exciting GR wrestler in the world and could beat anyone. A shame he never got the medals his talent deserved. Hopefully Kavianinejad can step into his shoes for Paris. 

Edited by The Genius

2 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Mohammad Reza Geraei is the smaller (67kg) Geraei. Olympic and World champ, about 25 yo.

Mohammad Ali Geraei is the bigger (77kg) Geraei. 3x World Bronze, 28 yo I think.

i would be lying if i said i did not get more easily confused with the iranian names than i probably should...

11 minutes ago, kkiane said:

He’s not the same as he used to be. Perhaps the iceman has melted. I might be getting the nicknames mixed up.

Little Geraei is the iceman. He definitely hasn't melted. Big Geraei (Mohammad Ali Geraei) is quite inconsistent and a bit older though. 

I think it's time to give up on Kaviani. He hasn't developed into the guy we hoped he would. He is only 25 but it is increasingly difficult to see him as a serious medal contender at 77kg. 

Mohammadali Geraei is still our best option at 77kg. Is there someone else at 77kg I'm forgetting about?

2 minutes ago, LJB said:

gutu is not a punk...

that kid is a 50/50 monster...

If Kaviani (himself a 2x Junior World champ) can't beat the Junior World Bronze medalist who is 4 years younger than him then I don't think he has much chance defeating the elite at senior level. I know Gutu is a good prospect with good results at junior level but I was hoping Kaviani would show he's above that level. Alas, he showed the opposite. 

7 minutes ago, The Genius said:

He lost 4-1 so not a total blow out but Kaviani really couldn't do anything the entire match. 

Shame. Just reading up the thread and he’s 25? Hope he doesn’t end up on the long list of juniors that didn’t fulfil their potential.