Iran wrestling news

19 minutes ago, kkiane said:

How bad was Karimi that one night? Is it just me or is Yazdani experimenting with some new moves on the ground?

Remember Valencia looking huge against him at the World Cup. Like his limbs literally looked double the size of Karimi’s.

Would have to go back and look at old matches to see if I’m talking nonsense or not, but to me Yazdani’s whole stance has looked slightly different since after 2021 worlds. 

2 hours ago, kkiane said:

How bad was Karimi that one night? Is it just me or is Yazdani experimenting with some new moves on the ground?

I think Zahid's issue is his gas tank, wrestling one match one night different to what he done now. He was fading more and more as it went on. He would have had a closer match and perhaps beat Japan if it was like the WC.

Regardless as was said before Yaz should/would have teched him. He had a nice match vs Mark Hall, shows how good Yaz and Taylor are over everyone else.

Amazing to see Emami beat Salkazanov and prove last year's Bronze at 74kg wasn't a fluke. I was a fan of his even at 70kg but he is really entering his prime now, just in time for 2024.

It's a shame Emami and Savadkouhi can't both go to Paris. 

Disappointing Valencia was so bad but at least that ends any debate about his level against the elite of 86kg. 

Excited to see Azarpira vs Snyder, 97kg is arguably the strongest weight class of all here. 

Damn. Nolf is good, but Emami should be beating him really. That was disappointing one.

Penn state really have strategised so well against the Iranian style and the underhook. Iran really needs to counter strategise themselves effectively when coming up against those guys.

Emami wasn't good the whole day, that win against Salkazanov was huge but then Salkazanov lost to Japan in the repechage too. obviously in a terrible shape.

this was a good waking call for Emami, sometimes you can learn more for a defeat. Emami has all tools to become the world champion soon but just not yet.

I only saw Emami's match in the semifinal against the Turk, and I am sorry to say that I was not impressed at all.

He scored two point via push outs, got one point for warning, and gave up a take down.  Did not see any good wrestling from him.

2 minutes ago, The Genius said:

We don't really learn anything about Yazdani except for when he wrestles Naifonov or DT. Every other international match is quite routine for him. 

i can't imagine anyone not agreeing with this...

still...

it is rare a free wrestler still brings me joy to watch...

i did watch the 86kg bronze medal matches and mostly all i felt was bored and slightly offended...

10 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Emami wasn't good the whole day, that win against Salkazanov was huge but then Salkazanov lost to Japan in the repechage too. obviously in a terrible shape.

this was a good waking call for Emami, sometimes you can learn more for a defeat. Emami has all tools to become the world champion soon but just not yet.

Agreed. Not going to take anything away from Emami’s big win at all, but Salkazanov losing and giving up 10 points in his next match wasn’t a good look. Shiga’s a decent wrestler but Younes beat him pretty easy at 70.

Overall still Emami’s wrestling well and can improve, but this year needs to be big results wise for him.

Savadkouhi is a physical monster. His win against the Georgian U23 World Champ was very impressive.

Tough cut but I presume he plans to move to 74kg for Paris. 

We have the best depth at 74kg (Emami, Savadkouhi, Nokhodi, Yazdani, Firouzpour) and 97kg (Goleij, Mohammadian, Ghasempour, Azarpira, Firouzpour). But obviously the best talent at 86kg and 125kg. 

Right now I would take Emami and Goleij to Paris but it's a very difficult decision. 

Snyder defeats Azarpira 3-0. Not sure what the game plan was, he was quite solid defensively but Azarpira didn't really have much to trouble Snyder with. Big swing moment was giving up a push out when he was grounded near the edge with 1 second to go on the activity clock, but Snyder probably would have won anyway. 

Azarpira is only 20-21 so he can improve rapidly in the next few years. I have a feeling he will hit his prime in the next Olympic cycle after Paris. 

2 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Snyder defeats Azarpira 3-0. Not sure what the game plan was, he was quite solid defensively but Azarpira didn't really have much to trouble Snyder with. Big swing moment was giving up a push out when he was grounded near the edge with 1 second to go on the activity clock, but Snyder probably would have won anyway. 

Azarpira is only 20-21 so he can improve rapidly in the next few years. I have a feeling he will hit his prime in the next Olympic cycle after Paris. 

Think Azarpira will take a lot from that match, biggest opponent he has faced, he held his own for much without being a massive threat himself though, silly mistake too which could have put him 1-1 up on criteria with about a minute to go. He will improve for sure. Looking like the future for Iran at the weight, 97kg will be fascinating battle domestically to rep the Olympic spot next year. I can't call it.

that was an incredibly interesting match with good wrestling on both sides until azapira has a total mental break and comes up from grounded...

i would have much rather seen him defend snyder's mad rush in the last minute...

still a way more positives than negatives that can be taken away from that match...

13 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Think Azarpira will take a lot from that match, biggest opponent he has faced, he held his own for much without being a massive threat himself though, silly mistake too which could have put him 1-1 up on criteria with about a minute to go. He will improve for sure. Looking like the future for Iran at the weight, 97kg will be fascinating battle domestically to rep the Olympic spot next year. I can't call it.

I don't want to be too positive about it given his lack of ambition which may have made the result closer than it otherwise would have been, but given their relative age and experience it definitely wasn't a bad result. 

Unfortunately, Snyder has now defeated Goleij, Mohammadian, Ghasempour and Azarpira all in the last few years. Of those when you look at who has the best chance to defeat him, I would probably go for Goleij but none of them are favourites to do so.

I finally had a chance to watch the Azarpira vs Snyder match.  Here is my take

He showed excellent defense against one of the best in the world.  Azarpira showed that his defense is very effective.  Considering how Snyder overpowered Ghassempour, I was pleased with that.

Azarpira was too timid with his offense.  Did not try to attack until the last 30 seconds when he was down 3-0.  I hope next time he will have the confidence to attack more, and attack earlier.

Overall, I remain very optimistic about Azarpira's potential.  He is only 23, and we are 1 year and half away from Paris Olympics.  He will likely improve significantly between now and then, both physically and mentally