Iran wrestling news

5 hours ago, Irani said:

Zahid did very well against Karimi, Zahid also had close matches against DT, so he is legit.  I think Hassan will win, but it will not be easy

zahid is not a punk by any stretch of the imagination...

but, the pointy end is extremely pointy...

and that is the reality... the best of the rest 5 years after or before could be the best...

another reason why this so important...

one day as a lion...

12 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

Dabir made it very clear in his recent interview that Ghasempour is going 97 (still will wrestle at 92 for 2023)

wow, I hope they don't deprive him of the opportunity to try at 86

I don't know if he can qualify for 97, there are just too many bigger contenders, I think he might struggle against Mohammadian, Goleij and Azarpara.  If Azarpara improves the way I hope he will, given his age and experience, he is my pick for 97

1 hour ago, Irani said:

wow, I hope they don't deprive him of the opportunity to try at 86

I don't know if he can qualify for 97, there are just too many bigger contenders, I think he might struggle against Mohammadian, Goleij and Azarpara.  If Azarpara improves the way I hope he will, given his age and experience, he is my pick for 97

for wathever reason I can't post a direct link to the video of Dabir's interview. but apparently this is Kamran's decision too.

Dabir claims Kamran is already 93-94kg and can't move back to 86kg anymore. (which means he gained weight after the World Cup)

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

for wathever reason I can't post a direct link to the video of Dabir's interview. but apparently this is Kamran's decision too.

Dabir claims Kamran is already 93-94kg and can't move back to 86kg anymore. (which means he gained weight after the World Cup)

I believe that his walk around weight is around 93-94, the problem is that his opponents walk around weight is 100-105 kg .  I just think he is too small for 97, and will not be able to compensate with his superior wrestling skills

33 minutes ago, Irani said:

I believe that his walk around weight is around 93-94, the problem is that his opponents walk around weight is 100-105 kg .  I just think he is too small for 97, and will not be able to compensate with his superior wrestling skills

I don't disagree with you

after watching him against Snyder I think everybody (including myself) thought this match will bury the idea of going to 97kg for good. but it seems for Kamran and his coaches it was the opposite and made them more motivated to go 97kg. I don't know how (because I agree with all you guys) but this is what I can feel from all of their interviews.

16 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Dabir made it very clear in his recent interview that Ghasempour is going 97 (still will wrestle at 92 for 2023)

Big news! Know I’m the only one but I’m on this Kamran 97 train til the wheels fall off.

16 hours ago, Irani said:

I very much hope internally coaches have seen how these guys do against each other in training and this informs their decision. 

I do rate Azarpara though and agree if he keeps the trajectory can be our future 97.

15 hours ago, Irani said:

@uwwdoc Doc, will you be at Belgrade? 

Not determined yet, but given I have been uww doc at the past two World Champs in Oslo and Belgrade, I may give it a miss. I will likely be there for some portion of it though.

And yes, having spoke to some of the guys in camp today actually, apparently Kamran says he never wants to wrestle at 86kg again, which kind of ruins any chance of seeing him vs Taylor in any capacity. His ideal wrestling weight now is 92kg, but he wants to try and bulk up to 97kg for Paris, he sees the Snyder loss as nothing but a strength and size issue, so he wants to bulk, he thinks he beats him if they are the same size.

My opinion is that I agree that in theory that may be true, but i don't think they can properly bulk him up in that time frame to the size he needs to be, he is a 86kg wrestler..... He's never weighed more than 91kg he told me in Belgrade. Snyder walks about 105-110kg. And Iran at 97kg ain't no walk in the park...

I also think that one of the big things that may not be getting mentioned is that he simply doesn't want to wrestle Hassan.

He's in between a rock and a hard place. I get it, if 92kg was an Olympic weight he wouldn't be doing this.

8 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

I also think that one of the big things that may not be getting mentioned is that he simply doesn't want to wrestle Hassan.

As in emotionally he doesn’t want to compete against him because of their relationship, or he doesn’t want to based on the previous loses?

5 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

The latter.

If that’s the case who can blame him.

I’d love to know what training at the national camps look like. Whether guys have to stick to strict training partners or if they get chances to go live against guys at diff weights. 

5 minutes ago, kmrabr said:

If that’s the case who can blame him.

I’d love to know what training at the national camps look like. Whether guys have to stick to strict training partners or if they get chances to go live against guys at diff weights. 

They get matched up with their training partners.

Sucks for Kamran really, I don't believe he WANTS to go to 97kg, he just feels like he doesn't have a choice. If Hassan wasn't in the picture, he would be wrestling at 86kg 100%.

1 hour ago, Uwwdoc said:

They get matched up with their training partners.

Good to know, thanks!

Yeah shame because it’d be fascinating to see Ghasempour against Taylor, trouble is with the greatest respect he’s not looked close to beating Hassan previously.

@Uwwdocprobably knows more about this, but there are reports that Pejman has been missing for a days due to personal reasons.  There are also unsubstantiated rumors that he and his family are in the US.

Yet another distraction before a big tournament

3 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Draws came out for the Zagreb ranking series. 

Emami will face Salkazanov if he gets past Japan.

Some nice match ups potentially. Hope we get to see Azarpira vs Snyder.

Big test for Emami…

Will be interesting to see if he really is the second best at 74

28 minutes ago, kkiane said:

Big test for Emami…

Will be interesting to see if he really is the second best at 74

Although he has performed great recently, he still hasn't beat Chamizo, Dake, Salkazanov or Sidakov. If he is 2nd best  I would be happy.

Big test for Emami! He wrestled great against Dake and Sidakov, next step is actually beating someone in the top four.

86 looks interesting, without Taylor the draw suddenly looks a lot more competitive. Obv hope we get to see Hassan and Valencia.

And yeah fingers crossed Azarpira makes it all the way to Snyder.

Wow. Emami beats Salkazanov 5-0. Brilliant.

He's faced the top 3 guys in the world in the last few months and has done great. He's shown he has improved a lot and definitely 74kg doesn't look as bleak as it once was.