Iran wrestling news

Iran is incredibly strong from 60-67kg at GR.

Established medalists like Nejati, Dalkhani, MR Geraei then you have the up and coming guys like Mohammadi but also Sohrabi and Esmaeili. They are all very young (the medalists are 24-26 and the youngsters are 19-20). Iran's GR team is very young throughout. 

Other guys to look out for are Mohmadi and Abedi. Mohmadi struggled after winning Junior Worlds but recently only lost a close match to the world champ and is only 20 years old, he could have a bright future at 82/87kg. Abedi at 97kg is also 20 yo and should provide good competition to Saravi (himself only 24 yo). 

Dad Marz as well is 23 yo and only lost a close match to Azizli recently (controversially) although 55kg isn't an Olympic weight anyway but maybe he goes to 60kg. 

Edited by The Genius

FYI…

oldest back from college… picked them both up to hit the gym and do some training… 

watched them for 1-1/2 hours work on hitting mohammadi’s outside foot trap to off balance from every position they could think of…

they are going to do the same thing every day for the next month between holiday and camps before he leaves…

One love…

3 hours ago, kkiane said:

Apparently there is a tournament in Bishkek today. And we’re sending four wrestlers, Atri, Zare, Emami and Goleij. Zare faces Munkhtur, Emami faces Sidakov, and Goleij faces Kozyrev, I believe.

Wow those are great matches. Especially Zare vs Munkhtur. Thanks for letting us know

Atri lost 6-0 to Harutynuan. could win the match if he was a bit smarter and if he was simply better lol

Goleij lost 4-3 to Kozyrev. he moved the guy around for 6 minutes. was leading 3-2 until last 5 seconds but then dang. that match made me remember why I don't trust "Holeij"

Emami did good against Sidakov, could win the match if he had a better strategy at the begning. he is getting better and better against the best of the Worlds. I would love to see him against Salkazanov once again

and Zare dominated Lkhagvagerel 10-4 but still the Mongolian almost pinned him on his only action, Zare was lucky they out of bound after the throw. still it was a great performance against the World silver medalist.

Edited by wrestfan

i totally get it...

but being there live and seeing him, i am not counting him out...

more importantly, otto isn't counting him out either... and for sure trust that kid's opinion over mine any day...

regardless of the outcome, it is just cool and i celebrate it 100%...

Just now, LJB said:

i totally get it...

but being there live and seeing him, i am not counting him out...

more importantly, otto isn't counting him out either... and for sure trust that kid's opinion over mine any day...

regardless of the outcome, it is just cool and i celebrate it 100%...

I agree with taking Otto’s opinion over yours.

I also take your opinion over nine 😀

6 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Atri lost 6-0 to Harutynuan. could win the match if he was a bit smarter and if he was simply better lol

Goleij lost 4-3 to Kozyrev. he moved the guy around for 6 minutes. was leading 3-2 until last 5 seconds but then dang. that match made me remember why I don't trust "Holeij"

Emami did good against Sidakov, could win the match if he had a better strategy at the begning. he is getting better and better against the best of the Worlds. I would love to see him against Salkazanov once again

and Zare dominated Lkhagvagerel 10-4 but still the Mongolian almost pinned him on his only action, Zare was lucky they out of bound after the throw. still it was a great performance against the World silver medalist.

@wrestfangreat to hear from you.  Now only if Shiraz would also join this board, we would hit in all cylinders 

Edited by Irani

12 hours ago, wrestfan said:

I love the way Emami’s wrestling these days. Went from having good ducks & throw-bys but being someone who could get bullied a bit, to being able to tieup and control the best at 74 for significant amounts of a match. Was one passivity and a bad challenge away from beating sidakov.

I know Goleij gets it a bit for his pushout style but it’s so impressive he can move almost everyone around like that. Just doesn’t score enough after all that control and gets in those kinds of situations. To only be up by one after the Russian looked dead on his feet after 3mins was a waste tbh. Also haven’t been up on Russian wrestling much, Kozyrev is at 97 now??

9 hours ago, kmrabr said:

I love the way Emami’s wrestling these days. Went from having good ducks & throw-bys but being someone who could get bullied a bit, to being able to tieup and control the best at 74 for significant amounts of a match. Was one passivity and a bad challenge away from beating sidakov.

I know Goleij gets it a bit for his pushout style but it’s so impressive he can move almost everyone around like that. Just doesn’t score enough after all that control and gets in those kinds of situations. To only be up by one after the Russian looked dead on his feet after 3mins was a waste tbh. Also haven’t been up on Russian wrestling much, Kozyrev is at 97 now??

Really nice coming into the Olympics in less than 2 years that we have some good wrestlers at 74 with Emami and potentially Savadkouhi/Nokhodi who look like contenders.

The other Iranian wrestlers always tell me Goleij is super solid and strong, they even feel when wrestling him that due to his core strength he has great chances of beating the best at 97kg. But he had that episode of making himself lose to Snyder in the last seconds in Oslo, some moments like this, and I don't think he beats Mohammadian until Mohammadian is way over the hill.

Iran is solid at 97kg. Goleij I feel just needs some work on his psychology more than anything else, Azarpira is a future stud. Mohammadian despite everything is still at the moment a phenomenal wrestler, and Shabani who we haven't seen for a while is a monster too. They just need to focus on their individual weaknesses and refine to get the top spot.

3 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Really nice coming into the Olympics in less than 2 years that we have some good wrestlers at 74 with Emami and potentially Savadkouhi/Nokhodi who look like contenders.

The other Iranian wrestlers always tell me Goleij is super solid and strong, they even feel when wrestling him that due to his core strength he has great chances of beating the best at 97kg. But he had that episode of making himself lose to Snyder in the last seconds in Oslo, some moments like this, and I don't think he beats Mohammadian until Mohammadian is way over the hill.

Iran is solid at 97kg. Goleij I feel just needs some work on his psychology more than anything else, Azarpira is a future stud. Mohammadian despite everything is still at the moment a phenomenal wrestler, and Shabani who we haven't seen for a while is a monster too. They just need to focus on their individual weaknesses and refine to get the top spot.

I cannot imagine Savadkoui and Nokhodi not trying to go down to 74 for the Olympics

in 97, Goleij is solid, and medal contender, but as you said he seems to have mental lapses, make bad decisions at the end and find a way to lose matches he has won.

Mohammadian is most likely over the hill and will be even more so by the Olympics.

The future is Azarpira, I just hope he improves significantly in the two next two years so that he will be medal contender at the senior levels.  As much as I wanted to see Kamran against Snyder, I regret that Azarpira was deprived of the opportunity to wrestle Snyder.

22 hours ago, Irani said:

@wrestfangreat to hear from you.  Now only if Shiraz would also join this board, we would hit in all cylinders 

I check the forum sometimes (specially when wrestling tournaments are happening) but then when I saw some random stupid kid bringing completely unrelated political things to a wrestling forum, I leave and probably come back few days/weeks later. if I want to read and discuss about politics (which I do a lot) I know where to go, I come to wrestling forums to read and talk about wrestling, that ignore option helps but doesn't solve the problem completely.

and it has nothing to do with my political views, I might agree or disagree but those discussions simply just don't belong here, as simple as that. just wanted to explain why I'm not here as much has you expect.

11 hours ago, kmrabr said:

yes I forgot that bad challenge, that was dumb. 2pts for Sidakov was clear in that action.

yes Kozyrev is wrestling at 97 for a while, and I think in a "normal world" he would be disqualified by 3 cautions for fleeing the mat on his knees 5 or 6 times. yet refs are not consistent about fleeing the mat like this, even the Americans took benefit of this bad rule in Iowa. still it's better to receive bad officiating calls in events like this rather than the Worlds or the Olympics. Goleij should learn how to deal with smarter wrestlers. (including Mohammadian)

4 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

I check the forum sometimes (specially when wrestling tournaments are happening) but then when I saw some random stupid kid bringing completely unrelated political things to a wrestling forum, I leave and probably come back few days/weeks later. if I want to read and discuss about politics (which I do a lot) I know where to go, I come to wrestling forums to read and talk about wrestling, that ignore option helps but doesn't solve the problem completely.

and it has nothing to do with my political views, I might agree or disagree but those discussions simply just don't belong here, as simple as that. just wanted to explain why I'm not here as much has you expect.

Simply use the ignore function.  I am using the ignore function against that guy and someone else, and enjoying the forum a lot more 

57 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

yes I forgot that bad challenge, that was dumb. 2pts for Sidakov was clear in that action.

yes Kozyrev is wrestling at 97 for a while, and I think in a "normal world" he would be disqualified by 3 cautions for fleeing the mat on his knees 5 or 6 times. yet refs are not consistent about fleeing the mat like this, even the Americans took benefit of this bad rule in Iowa. still it's better to receive bad officiating calls in events like this rather than the Worlds or the Olympics. Goleij should learn how to deal with smarter wrestlers. (including Mohammadian)

If you flee the mat or are pushed off on your feet, you lose 1 point or 1 point + caution point for fleeing, but if you simply 'ground' yourself and flee/get pushed off on your knees, no points... That's a +2 pt swing and can make a big difference, especially for so many of our guys who rely on push outs (from Hassan to Goleij to Zare). The current application of the rules doesn't seem to favour that style so the onus is on us to find a way to counter it. 

12 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

Very interesting insight. Don’t know if it’s mental or tactical but we’ve all seen he has the ability to shut anyone down at 97.

12 hours ago, Irani said:

I cannot imagine Savadkoui and Nokhodi not trying to go down to 74 for the Olympics

Can’t wait to see it, though both (Savadkouhi in particular) look big 74s to me. After his performances of late I’m still all in on Emami atm.

11 hours ago, kmrabr said:

https://wrestlingtv.ru/video/4hWIjOM6vvI0qtnWimRGUg

Good performance from Zare (minus nearly getting pinned on the edge as wrestfan said).

Thanks. Typical and dominant performance from Zare against a top 3-5 guy. He got caught once but he didn't look close to getting pinned to me and other than that he controlled the entire match. He still seems undersized compared to these giants like Geno Taha and Munkhtur but it's not stopping him from winning (most of the time).

I also agree that Emami is our best guy at 74kg. Emami went 2-2* against Dake at Worlds while Savadkouhi went 6*-6 against JB at the World Cup, to me the former is just as impressive. He lost a close match to Sidakov but I don't know if Sidakov will be at Paris anyway. 

Edited by The Genius

14 hours ago, kmrabr said:

https://wrestlingtv.ru/video/4hWIjOM6vvI0qtnWimRGUg

Good performance from Zare (minus nearly getting pinned on the edge as wrestfan said).

Thanks for sharing the video, good find.
Zare looks a bit flabby to me.  He looks like he could do more strength training and build a bit more muscle mass and burn a bit of fat.  He dominated his opponent, but the near pin was scary.  He is lucky it was not in the middle of the mat.  He showed  good composure after that and continued to dominate

Edited by Irani