Iran wrestling news

Perhaps next time they should do a true 2 out of 3 between Kamran and Hassan. Everytime has been if Hassan wins the 1st match then they send him.

It's tough man. I know and really like both and feel it is a damn shame if one or the other isn't in Paris.

25 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Perhaps next time they should do a true 2 out of 3 between Kamran and Hassan. Everytime has been if Hassan wins the 1st match then they send him.

It's tough man. I know and really like both and feel it is a damn shame if one or the other isn't in Paris.

One thing I found interesting was that after Masoumi beat Zilmer he did the crown celebration that Zare has done before. Do you know what the relationship between the two of them is? They seem to be the two Iranian wrestlers with the biggest personalities and most confidence, which is great but I just hope it doesn't lead to any conflict. 

1 minute ago, Uwwdoc said:

We know they both cannot be in Paris

Ghassempour has two bad options

1. Try for the X th time to beat Hassan.  He will be top two in 86

2. try to bulk up and beat Mohammadian, Goleij, Azarpira.  If he can beat those guys, he can medal in 97

46 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Something we also shouldn't take for granted-even if he did decide to go to 97kg, it wouldn't be a walk in the park for him either domestically, Mohammadian, Goleij, etc are all strong true 97kg wrestlers who are no pushover. I think Mohammadian beats him. The size is no joke. Ebrahimi got a win over Kamran in trials recently.

Yeah good point. Domestically our top guys are very hard matches for Kamran. If I’m honest I know 86 is best for him but after the gas of the Yazdani Ghasempour double in Oslo I guess I’m just still clinging on to some hope we can see our two best guys medal together in Paris.

6 minutes ago, Irani said:

We know they both cannot be in Paris

Ghassempour has two bad options

1. Try for the X th time to beat Hassan.  He will be top two in 86

2. try to bulk up and beat Mohammadian, Goleij, Azarpira.  If he can beat those guys, he can medal in 97

He can't bulk up anymore really. After that test with Snyder, it was to see how he would do. He will definitely now go to 86kg.

Kamran's goal isn't to just medal. He wants gold. He feels he can beat Taylor. I would like to see a 2 out of 3 between him and Hassan. I think he stays at 92kg until next year though.

1 minute ago, Uwwdoc said:

He can't bulk up anymore really. After that test with Snyder, it was to see how he would do. He will definitely now go to 86kg.

Kamran's goal isn't to just medal. He wants gold. He feels he can beat Taylor. I would like to see a 2 out of 3 between him and Hassan. I think he stays at 92kg until next year though.

I understand and agree with everything you said 

i just can’t see Kamran beating Hassan 

inreally like then both 

1 minute ago, kmrabr said:

Yeah good point. Domestically our top guys are very hard matches for Kamran. If I’m honest I know 86 is best for him but after the gas of the Yazdani Ghasempour double in Oslo I guess I’m just still clinging on to some hope we can see our two best guys medal together in Paris.

I know what you mean. I was kind of thinking that too for a whole. To be honest Kamran and many of the team were as well, but this was the test. Kamran didn't feel anything other than a size issue when facing Kyle. He gave up 13kg by match time. I think 5-0 with the way he wrestled against Olympic Gold and World champion with that weight disadvantage is commendable. But he will.be at 86kg

32 minutes ago, The Genius said:

One thing I found interesting was that after Masoumi beat Zilmer he did the crown celebration that Zare has done before. Do you know what the relationship between the two of them is? They seem to be the two Iranian wrestlers with the biggest personalities and most confidence, which is great but I just hope it doesn't lead to any conflict. 

They are amicable. But both know that they are each others biggest rival domestically.

2 minutes ago, Irani said:

I understand and agree with everything you said 

i just can’t see Kamran beating Hassan 

inreally like then both 

Same. It's a dilemma for sure. I also think Hassan beats Kamran. Especially in a one off match. But would be interesting if he can do so in a 2 out of 3 heat or if Kamran can get one a it goes to a third.

3 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

They are amicable. But both know that they are each others biggest rival domestically.

Doc, I have a dumb question for you.

Zare looks undersized to me.  Is there any chance he could go down to 97?

4 minutes ago, Irani said:

I’d like to know what he’s actually weighing at too. He’s short for heavyweight but he looks like he’s got a big frame on him.

Side note, I’d question whether his skills would translate well to 97 though…

6 minutes ago, Irani said:

Zare is definitely not a big heavyweight. I think Taha had a good 14kg on him when they faced off in Belgrade.

I don't think that conversation has ever taken place. Nor do I think he would want to go to 97kg. Don't think it is impossible but he would have to go on a strict regimen.

2 minutes ago, kmrabr said:

I’d like to know what he’s actually weighing at too. He’s short for heavyweight but he looks like he’s got a big frame on him.

Side note, I’d question whether his skills would translate well to 97 though…

I love Amir Hossein. As objective as I can possibly be. I feel he is the no1 heavyweight in the world right now. He made 1 stupid mistake and gave the match away to Taha in Belgrade. Otherwise he would be a 2 time world champ.

9 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

I love Amir Hossein. As objective as I can possibly be. I feel he is the no1 heavyweight in the world right now. He made 1 stupid mistake and gave the match away to Taha in Belgrade. Otherwise he would be a 2 time world champ.

100% I’m a huge Zare fan and agree he’s the top heavyweight in the world despite that one hiccup.

I just mean when I think of his skills at heavyweight: using his relative short height to get dominate inside head & underhook, and using his speed for go behinds etc, those advantages won’t really be there at 97 (though he’ll have size and power obv). So just wondering if even if he could make it hypothetically would it be in his interest to do so…   

12 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

I don't disagree with anything that is written here

However, as good as Zare is, I believe Massoumi has even higher potential, if he continues to develop and improve.  They are both very young, Massoumi is really just a kid, they both have lots of room to grow, and the nice thins is heavyweights usually stay at top form longer, because they don't cut weight and don't torture their body the way most other wrestlers do.  Of course, if Massoumi keeps on growing, he will have to cut weight

9 hours ago, kmrabr said:

100% I’m a huge Zare fan and agree he’s the top heavyweight in the world despite that one hiccup.

I just mean when I think of his skills at heavyweight: using his relative short height to get dominate inside head & underhook, and using his speed for go behinds etc, those advantages won’t really be there at 97 (though he’ll have size and power obv). So just wondering if even if he could make it hypothetically would it be in his interest to do so…   

He doesn't seem to have any issues competing at HW so I don't see why he would put himself through such an intense cut just to wrestle at 97kg, where he might not be as effective. I don't think he's significantly smaller than a Gable Steveson and he's still only 20-21 years old so he still has plenty of time to grow into his frame.

10 hours ago, kmrabr said:

I think he's fine at 125 too.

7 hours ago, Irani said:

I don't disagree with anything that is written here

However, as good as Zare is, I believe Massoumi has even higher potential, if he continues to develop and improve.  They are both very young, Massoumi is really just a kid, they both have lots of room to grow, and the nice thins is heavyweights usually stay at top form longer, because they don't cut weight and don't torture their body the way most other wrestlers do.  Of course, if Massoumi keeps on growing, he will have to cut weight

I think by 2024 it is going to be really tough between the 2. I could see Masoumi edging him potentially, wouldn't surprise me, but let's see.

14 minutes ago, kmrabr said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Savadkouhi? I know two of these were in the league but this resume is def not to be sniffed at! 

EB582BBC-1E6C-4E61-A8FC-0F284A2CB245.thumb.jpeg.f2ebb96f5f0d383aa5e72fb7ebcede32.jpeg

Damn I forgot about Kadigmagomedov.

Definitely massive wins for Savadkouhi and more to the point-the confidence that he is going to get from this is massive.

Savadkouhi is a very technical good wrestler-he trains under Reza Yazdani.

I think him and the team will be looking to see if he can compete at 74kg now, if that is possible.

If he can make the weight and it not affect his performance I think he would be favourite for the spot.

2 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

I think him and the team will be looking to see if he can compete at 74kg now, if that is possible.

If he can make the weight and it not affect his performance I think he would be favourite for the spot.

Younes was amazing for us at this years worlds and I’m hoping he can keep progressing next year too, but would love to see Savadkouhi against some of the top 74 guys.

1 hour ago, kmrabr said:

Younes was amazing for us at this years worlds and I’m hoping he can keep progressing next year too, but would love to see Savadkouhi against some of the top 74 guys.

I mean all 3 of his big wins are 3 of the top 74kg guys, gold and silver Olympic medalists at Tokyo and JB! I can't imagine Younes beating them. But it is a big question if Savakouhi can make and have same results at 74kg. Surely that must be on his and the technical team's mind though.

2 hours ago, kmrabr said:

If Savadkoui (and Nokhodi), can go down to 74kg for the olympics, Iran will have a good shot at medaling in 74 with three legitimate contenders.  The only weight class  where Iran is hopeless is 57 Kg, I am still hoping some young 18 year old will emerge, the way Rahman did

I think Dake might be slowing down and 2024 will be a great opportunity for someone to beat him. Emami went very close and has to be the frontrunner but Savadkouhi's run can't be ignored. It feels good to have solid medal options at 74kg, long our weakest weight. 

so...

the boys and i were talking last night...

mohammadi is our favorite greco guy right now across all age groups...

all 3 of us are in agreement...

i cant see him at 67 for '24... is there talk of him going 60kg?