Iran wrestling news

7 hours ago, wrestfan said:

I'm not so sure, remember who is the UWW president. you don't want to make an enemy of him.

and of course there is no evidence to back it up. if you have nothing to prove something it's better to simply not bring it up.

yeah all Serbian wrestlers (including Arsalan) did MUCH better than their previous tournaments in Belgrade. almost the same team won just 1 bronze at the European Champs few months earlier. yeah this is suspicious but there is no evidence of any sort of cheating .

and I never believe the Serbian team withdrew because of COVID. there is another reason. maybe they didn't want their "so called World Champions" to lose heavily in another country. their team was very weak after all.

Definitely but I still think if it had any value to it then Dabir would bring it up in a press conference or interview. He's brought up that Emami/Dake match about 5 times now.

I honestly think that even just the speculation of them cheating is kinda a big stretch. Datunashvili is the best guy in his weight class so no surprise there. Arsalan had a bit of a dream run but he's genuinely a 72 guy, I even remember a few bad calls against him. Nemes bros aren't chumps either, they're both capable of upsets and have had success in the European scene in previous years. Imo the only reason Reza Geraei was because he wanted to tech Mate Nemes, he could have just defended his 4-0 lead but went for the win instead. Sebastian Nad is the only guy who's never really done anything in previous years (he's also the guy who I thought looked to big for his weight class) so he'd be the only one I can agree with the speculation.

A lot had to go right for Serbia but it's not like it was impossible. Both Nemes bros had really tough draws so you would expect that if Serbia was cheating then they would try and change the brackets into their favour as well.

Just now, Amir.Sol said:

Definitely but I still think if it had any value to it then Dabir would bring it up in a press conference or interview. He's brought up that Emami/Dake match about 5 times now.

I honestly think that even just the speculation of them cheating is kinda a big stretch. Datunashvili is the best guy in his weight class so no surprise there. Arsalan had a bit of a dream run but he's genuinely a 72 guy, I even remember a few bad calls against him. Nemes bros aren't chumps either, they're both capable of upsets and have had success in the European scene in previous years. Imo the only reason Reza Geraei was because he wanted to tech Mate Nemes, he could have just defended his 4-0 lead but went for the win instead. Sebastian Nad is the only guy who's never really done anything in previous years (he's also the guy who I thought looked to big for his weight class) so he'd be the only one I can agree with the speculation.

A lot had to go right for Serbia but it's not like it was impossible. Both Nemes bros had really tough draws so you would expect that if Serbia was cheating then they would try and change the brackets into their favour as well.

Also just speaking Reza Geraei, it looks like wrestlers have figured out how to counter his favourite par terre move, the head spinny thing he used to do (in farsi it's called konde farangi), the one he did against Jafarov twice in Oslo. Not once could he do it in Serbia, it wasn't a problem until the finals but it's still something to note because par terre offense is the most important thing for Reza Geraei and if it's not as effective then his wrestling won't be as effective.

We're going to be starting with our best guys against turkey:

55) Dadmarz

60) Mohsenejad

63) Mohammadi

67) Sohrabi

72) Rostami

77) Mokhtari

82) Mohmadi

87) Badkan

97) Bali

130) Yousefi

It's Mohammadi over Esmaeili which I don't hate, they're both great. Just a shame they're in the same weight.

Here's the results of the first match:

Iran 6 - 4 Turkey

55) Dadmarz 1 - 1 Ozturk

60) Mohsenejad 9 - 7 Kamal

63) Mohammadi 8-0 Uyar

67) Sohrabi 8-0 Firat

72) Rostami 2 - 1 Can

77) Mokhtari 2-6 Basar

82) Mohmadi 5-7 Akbudak

87) Badkan 2-11 Cengiz

97) Bali 4 - 2 Basar

125) Yousefi 5 - 5 Yildirim

Ended up closer than it could have been after a strong start. Dadmarz controlled his match well. Mohsenejad wins a very similar rematch, gets two turns early but this time doesn't get pinned and hangs on to a close win. Mohammadi and Sohrabi were fantastic. Rostami had to face a Turk who was calling for bleeding time every 5 seconds. Mokhtari still can't do par terre. Mohmadi was ok, Akbudak was just too high a level for him. Badkan match was weirdly officiated imo, no clue how they gave 8 points to Cengiz on that early exchange even with the leg foul. Bali had an impressive win although he was getting very heated. Yousefi wasn't bad, he gave up a turn to easily, did well to take back the lead but gives it up with another easy takedown. He was much better here than against the Ukrainian imo, Yildirim is one of the top guys of this weight.

ISNA (which is almost trustworthy) claims Iran will send this team to USA for the World Cup (of course if they get the visa)

57 AMJ
61 Atri
65 ?
70 AM Yazdani
74 MS Firouzpour
79 Nokhodi
86 Ghasempour or Savadkouhi
92 AH Firouzpour
97 Azarpira and Goleij
125 Masoumi

it's mostly the U23 team with some reinforcement. Ghasempour at 86 can be a huge news. I LOVE to watch him against Taylor. I believe everybody wants to watch this match.

they have to go to Dubai for the visa process this week, we will know the whole team soon.

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

ISNA (which is almost trustworthy) claims Iran will send this team to USA for the World Cup (of course if they get the visa)

57 AMJ
61 Atri
65 ?
70 AM Yazdani
74 MS Firouzpour
79 Nokhodi
92 AH Firouzpour
97 Azarpira and Goleij
125 Masoumi

it's mostly the U23 team with some reinforcement. Ghasempour at 86 can be a huge news. I LOVE to watch him against Taylor. I believe everybody wants to watch this match.

they have to go to Dubai for the visa process this week, we will know the whole team soon.

I think we have to ask the American friends if Taylor is even considering wrestling in the world cup. I've heard that he would only do it if Yazdani came as well.

4 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

I think we have to ask the American friends if Taylor is even considering wrestling in the world cup. I've heard that he would only do it if Yazdani came as well.

Perhaps he views Ghasempour as an opponent he may not face anytime soon.

57 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

I think we have to ask the American friends if Taylor is even considering wrestling in the world cup.

I don't believe he will wrestle. He made a, "one day at a time"  comment in an interview with FLO. Pretty non committal

Edited by Mphillips

Taylor is a competitive guy and thrives on wrestling the best.  I would understand if he doesn’t want to bother wrestling Savadkoui, but once Fhasaenpour is confirmed and gets a visa (I believe he is one if the guys who was denied last time), I think Taylor will participate 

11 minutes ago, Irani said:

Taylor is a competitive guy and thrives on wrestling the best.  I would understand if he doesn’t want to bother wrestling Savadkoui, but once Fhasaenpour is confirmed and gets a visa (I believe he is one if the guys who was denied last time), I think Taylor will participate 

That is true. Ghasempour was the main guy who was denied last time. Wonder what changes now from then that allows him to get a visa granted. Dabir also got denied last time but he say's he won't be going.

Second match results:

Iran 8 - 2 Kyrgyzstan

55) Dadmarz 9 - 1 Bishenbek Uulu

60) Mohsenejad 5 - 0 Abdullaev

63) Mohammadi 12 - 1 Suleimanov

67) Sohrabi 10 - 2 Ibragimov

72) Abdi 6 - 0 Nurlanbekov

77) Mokhtari 7 - 1 Talantbekov

82) Mahmoudi 1 - 6 Asykeev

87) Choubani 2 - 9 Azisbekov

97) Bali 3 - 3 Dzhuzupbekov

130) Yousefi 4 (pin) - 1 Manatbekov

Unsurprisingly, we're a lot better in the 60kg range than in the 80kg range. It's quite funny because it's the exact opposite in freestyle. This win solidifies Iran as finalists and will face the winner of Azerbaijan and the All Stars tomorrow. Pretty good for a group of youngsters.

4 hours ago, wrestfan said:

57 AMJ
61 Atri
65 ?
70 AM Yazdani
74 MS Firouzpour
79 Nokhodi
92 AH Firouzpour
97 Azarpira and Goleij
125 Masoumi

few hours after this Mohsen Kaveh denied that part about Ghasempour wrestling at 86kg. he says nothing is confirmed but Ghasempour is not moving down to wrestle at 86kg at the World Cup.
(he didn't deny the rest of the report though)

58 minutes ago, kkiane said:

I missed the battle against Kyrgyzstan, who was most impressive?

I couldn't really play close attention so I probably missed some things but Mokhtari got a really good throw from par terre which was nice to see. Everyone did about as well as expected. Yousefi's opponent was like a foot shorter than him so it was a very easy match. Kyrgyzstan didn't bring their top end guys like Makhmudov and the Sharshenbekovs so it was always going to be an easier matchup.

5 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

I couldn't really play close attention so I probably missed some things but Mokhtari got a really good throw from par terre which was nice to see. Everyone did about as well as expected. Yousefi's opponent was like a foot shorter than him so it was a very easy match. Kyrgyzstan didn't bring their top end guys like Makhmudov and the Sharshenbekovs so it was always going to be an easier matchup.

I’ve seen people really happy with Mohammadi, some even stating he’s future Olympic champ, but I think Sohrabi is very impressive.

16 minutes ago, kkiane said:

I’ve seen people really happy with Mohammadi, some even stating he’s future Olympic champ, but I think Sohrabi is very impressive.

They've both been great. Again it's a shame all our young studs are around the same weight. In a perfect world Mohammadi can make 60kg so that both have a shot at making the Olympic team.

Iran are the 2022 GR World Cup champs!

Iran 5 (win by classification) - 5 Azerbaijan

Dadmarz 1 - 4 Azizli

Mohsenejad 5 - 4 Mammadli

Mohammadi 8 - 0 Mammadov

Sohrabi 1 - 5 Jafarov

Rostami 3 - 4 Ganizade

Habibollahi 1 - 7 Suleimanov

Mahmoudi 1 - 5 Huseynov

Choubani 2 - 1 Ahmadiyev

Bali 5 - 2 Niftullayev

Yousefi 6 - 3 Kandelaki

Dadmarz did about as well as you could ask, brought Azizli to his back at one point but it was negated to a step out. Mohsenejad was ok against the Azeri backup, he's a little too confident in his gut wrench ability so he takes too many risks. Mohammadi is just so impressive, he keeps pushing for the full 6 minutes, just out of this world conditioning. Sohrabi got hit with an insane throw by Jafarov and didn't have an answer. Rostami had some great par terre defense but got royally screwed by a very dumb challenge. Habibollahi has been quite untested in the international scene and unfortunately gets thrown right into the fire against Suleimanov, could tell he was completely outclassed. Same with Mahmoudi, just couldn't compete with Huseynov. Thought it was going to be Abbasov for Choubani but still a good win, Mohammadi-esque match with a lot of pushing by Choubani. Bali did his job to help with the comeback. Yousefi keeps getting turned a little too easily but makes up for it with pushouts to win it for Iran.

One thing that was clear is that every single challenge was going to be in favour of Azerbaijan, but the young Iranian squad win despite of the clear home field advantage.