Red Hot Chili Pepper Wrestling

Lawdiggity

Relatively new poster here so hope everyone is okay with a little humor during the post IHSAA season message board slow down. 

What would you do if you looked out in your front yard and saw an impromptu wrestling match involving Anthony Kiedis?  For all you RHCP fans out there skip to the 4:00 (4 minute) mark and enjoy. Technique needs a lot of improvement but I appreciate the effort! 

Link / 4:00 - 

Long Anthony Kiedis Run-in Story:

I was visiting AKA in the summer of 2008 the day after watching Nate Moore (Perry Meridian 2002, Purdue 2007) knock out an Oakland hometown favorite in the first six seconds of their headlining fight. 
I walk in and see Anthony Kiedis, and spend the next two minutes meeting the eyes of everyone in the gym then glancing at Kiedis to make sure we were all on the same page of thinking this guy was pretty cool and being a little star struck. 

John Fitch was training for his UFC title fight against GSP, doing five rounds of sparring against new partners each round. Kiedis was there watching with the documentary crew that made Such Great Heights about Fitch. It was really cool seeing the RHCP front man there to do the same thing I was doing, appreciating MMA and watching a Purdue Wrestler/Indiana kid do his thing. But clearly Kiedis hadn’t done stuff like this before.

By the third round of Kiedis cheering for Fitch like this Saturday 11AM workout was the UFC title fight, everyone in the gym began catching eyes with each other and glancing at Kiedis to make sure we were all on the same page of thinking this guy didn’t know the vibe of a combat sport practice and being a little annoyed he was basically cheering against Fitch’s teammates who were graciously helping him prepare. 

All in all it was a surreal experience, getting to hang out with a rock star  but in an environment where he was the least knowledgeable in the room. He didn’t really know the norms, but it was cool to see him into combat sports and he clearly respected the effort and skill.

MMA to me is the most fun to be around when people are out of their comfort zones learning new things and trying to apply the skills we have in new environments. It’s humbling and promotes a lot of learning. And I guess these feelings of mine were confirmed by seeing a guy that kind of defined being cool and larger than life during my high school and college years seem like a dork because he wasn’t chill watching live goes. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.