Sectional and Regional items for coaches, and good luck Tskin

dstruck

Coaches:

this will be one of my last posting as president, as my tenure is up at the end of this season.  I will be a part of making a pitch to the IHSAA for changes, as well as helping with the spring clinic.  After this, Tyson Skinner will be taking over as president and he will do an OUTSTANDING job. 

Thank you for all those that support the IHSWCA, and a huge, special thanks to two people.  Thank you TRENT MCCORMICK for helping me through items as of late, as well as his AMAZING, SELFLESS work on the IHSWCA Team State Duals tournament.  Lots of people put time in, but Trent is the driving force of what has now become the showcase of what the IHSWCA does - Trent does an amazing job with this, and if you get a chance to thank him - please do.  I met Trent when I took over as ISWA State coach, he helped me through that.......then years later, he helped me through this.   JD MINCH, as always does amazing work behind the scenes for all we do.  He has been a driving force for this organization since day one, and continues to be until this day. Thank you both guys for being mentors, and outstanding friends when needed. 

I learned a lot as president, and know that the guys before me were sent forth with big tasks.  Items that I never knew existed, that keep our amazing sport moving forward for kids.  Thank you to all the former presidents for the help and guidance they gave me as I did this namely - Tom Miller, Rex P, Cale Hoover, David Cloud, Barry H - they were always ready and willing to answer a question when I had one.  These guys haven't been thanked in a while - so thank you . Thank you Scott Schwarz on heading up the Hall of Fame.  That is a year round task on its own!

From here, I plan on helping as a regional rep, and with spring and fall clinics, as well as stay on with the ISWA, and the items with USAW I do.  I know what a task those are, so I want to help Tyson there. Just as Trent stays and runs the state duals.  If we can all pitch in and do a little, then the president can keep moving forward with more tasks.

So, I ask you to get involved!!  Any way you can.  the first step is just to become a member, and realize that there are just a few doing the work of many.  They don't do it for pay, or extra super secret favors from the IHSAA (in-fact it has probably hurt a few coaches relationships there), but they do it for love of the kids, and a love of a sport that helps kids.  I know for me, wrestling is the best way I know to help kids - so advancing it is a major part of my life.

If you have not already done so, please become a member of the IHSWCA.  You might not see where it helps yet, but it does - and the more you get involved, the more you will see what these guys do, have done, and will do in the future.

See you guys soon on my last few items as president - and good luck Tyson!

COACHES TO DO BEFORE REGIONALS:

1) become a member of the IHSWCA

- be able to nominate kids for academic all-state

- have your kids named to IN/IL all-star duals

- have your kids named to scholastic duals

- have a voice with the IHSAA

- help us to continue to grow the team state duals

- name a regional coach of the year

- nominate coaches to the hall of fame

- nominate for assistant coach of the year

- become a member - form at ihswca.org

2) vote for your regional coach of the year at the regional tournament

3) nominate your kids 3.25 or higher for academic all state (juniors and seniors only - must have wrestled in sectionals at least once)  at ihswca.org

4) nominate your assistant for coach of the year

5) make sure you fill out the online form for MILESTONES IN COACHING at ihswca.org

As Danny stated becoming a member of our Association only helps to give us a voice in talking to the IHSAA.  The first thing they always mention when we present items to them is that so many of our high school coaches aren't members and that our polling numbers of our members are not a true indicator of what the state wants.  We can fix this by trying to have at least one member per school.

I have known Danny since high school and he has done a tremendous job of moving the association forward and I hope to continue that process.  As some of you know I am always willing to listen to suggestions so please feel free to email me tysongskinner@gmail.com.  

Best of luck to everyone in the state as the grind to the bank begins.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.