Franklin County sectional

bigmak

Whether it was the best thing to do, I personally think it stinks, but on the other hand, no one knows what went on behind the scenes. They didn't 'break any rules' so, whatever. Moving on, what a great day at Franklin county sectionals!  Of course to boasts about my favs at Milan, they re taking a handful to Regionals, wish they were taking a few more, but oh well; all & all good day for them.  Some Batesville kids impressed me!  HAve not heard a lot about the Orschell kid (don't remember which school he is from) but wow, some great wrestling from him I seen.  Lots happened in that weight class I did not think I would ever see.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether it was the best thing to do, I personally think it stinks, but on the other hand, no one knows what went on behind the scenes. They didn't 'break any rules' so, whatever. Moving on, what a great day at Franklin county sectionals!  Of course to boasts about my favs at Milan, they re taking a handful to Regionals, wish they were taking a few more, but oh well; all & all good day for them.  Some Batesville kids impressed me!  HAve not heard a lot about the Orschell kid (don't remember which school he is from) but wow, some great wrestling from him I seen.  Lots happened in that weight class I did not think I would ever see.

I agree, Milan is looking very good.  As a matter of fact, there are a lot of very good wrestlers from the Franklin County Sectional.  The problem is that you have a few from each school and not a bunch in each weight class.  Wouldn't it be something to get all of these guys together a few times a week in the off season to practice?  Think what they could do next year.  We all know that is how the Perry's/NewPal's/Warren's and so on get it done.  I am sure they all attend Red Cobra in the off season.  I will also tell you this, if you can get your wrestlers to Connersville's open mats, go.  Coach Jerry is amazing with the kids.  He has wrestlers come from 50 miles away to attend.  They go hard every practice and get so much better each time, due to the fact he is so good and they have great competition.  I know it would be a haul for Milan but it is well worth it.  Maybe the area coaches should all get together and have 5 open mats a week at each school.  Something like; Batesville-Monday, EC-Tuesday, Connersville-Wed, FC-Thursday, Milan-Friday.  This would also make it good for someone who can't attend Monday, they know they can make it to Tuesday's.  Imagine how much better our area could compete against the larger schools that have 2 varsity teams and 3 JV teams.

The Orschell boy - depends on which Orschell you are referring to.  Phillip Orschell at 132?  Phillip is a Senior, he wrestled Westerfeld from BA in the championship match.  Phillip is a great wrestler, leader and all around good kid.  He has heart, drive and determination.  I would definitely not count him out for a Regional title.  Or Josh Orschell at 182? Josh placed 3rd at 182.  As I see it, he gave Hittle from Rushville a good run for his money in the semi's.  Josh is a Junior so he will have another year.  I believe that Josh could go a lot further this year than he's expected to.  Both wrestlers have great practice partners and we all know how much that helps.  I'd watch out for some upsets come Regionals because both of these boys have it in them to be at the top of the podium Saturday.

I agree, Milan is looking very good.  As a matter of fact, there are a lot of very good wrestlers from the Franklin County Sectional.  The problem is that you have a few from each school and not a bunch in each weight class.  Wouldn't it be something to get all of these guys together a few times a week in the off season to practice?  Think what they could do next year.  We all know that is how the Perry's/NewPal's/Warren's and so on get it done.  I am sure they all attend Red Cobra in the off season.  I will also tell you this, if you can get your wrestlers to Connersville's open mats, go.  Coach Jerry is amazing with the kids.  He has wrestlers come from 50 miles away to attend.  They go hard every practice and get so much better each time, due to the fact he is so good and they have great competition.  I know it would be a haul for Milan but it is well worth it.  Maybe the area coaches should all get together and have 5 open mats a week at each school.  Something like; Batesville-Monday, EC-Tuesday, Connersville-Wed, FC-Thursday, Milan-Friday.  This would also make it good for someone who can't attend Monday, they know they can make it to Tuesday's.  Imagine how much better our area could compete against the larger schools that have 2 varsity teams and 3 JV teams.

The Orschell boy - depends on which Orschell you are referring to.  Phillip Orschell at 132?  Phillip is a Senior, he wrestled Westerfeld from BA in the championship match.  Phillip is a great wrestler, leader and all around good kid.  He has heart, drive and determination.  I would definitely not count him out for a Regional title.  Or Josh Orschell at 182? Josh placed 3rd at 182.  As I see it, he gave Hittle from Rushville a good run for his money in the semi's.  Josh is a Junior so he will have another year.  I believe that Josh could go a lot further this year than he's expected to.  Both wrestlers have great practice partners and we all know how much that helps.  I'd watch out for some upsets come Regionals because both of these boys have it in them to be at the top of the podium Saturday.

i second the thoughts about jerry. i have seen many kids, my own included, make huge strides in the offseason by going to him at connersville. currently, at least last year, they alternated with centerville and richmond. each school had a day in the week at their location but i think all the coaches tried to be at the other place on those days as well. it really helped those 3 schools as well as the other schools that had wrestlers attend. I know i saw several union county wrestlers there, lincoln, tri, hagerstown, rushville. I have even seen kids from new castle and knightstown there which is a fairly long drive.

I agree what Jerry is doing is great for the kids is great, and I wish more coaches would do this.

But let us not confuse open mat with Regional Open or Club Practice.  Open mat is for the Connersville kids only.  Regional Open is once a week and is scattered thru the state.  Club Practice is just that, a club which is a paid membership.

Milan has tried putting stuff together but in the end when only 2 or 3 kids show up and they are at two different ends of the spectrum of weight it makes it tuff.  Also you get parents and coaches that say Freestyle and Greco teaches only bad habits and that the kids need to stay away from that does not help either. 

So we go where the wrestling is "Jake Cavins' Basement!"  ;D

Kidding aside all wrestlers should go to one of these Regional Opens to practice. You learn new technique and get to practice with different kids in the state. I think it is a great thing for the kids and the coaches.

I agree what Jerry is doing is great for the kids is great, and I wish more coaches would do this.

But let us not confuse open mat with Regional Open or Club Practice.  Open mat is for the Connersville kids only.  Regional Open is once a week and is scattered thru the state.  Club Practice is just that, a club which is a paid membership.

Milan has tried putting stuff together but in the end when only 2 or 3 kids show up and they are at two different ends of the spectrum of weight it makes it tuff.  Also you get parents and coaches that say Freestyle and Greco teaches only bad habits and that the kids need to stay away from that does not help either. 

So we go where the wrestling is "Jake Cavins' Basement!"  ;D

Kidding aside all wrestlers should go to one of these Regional Opens to practice. You learn new technique and get to practice with different kids in the state. I think it is a great thing for the kids and the coaches.

my wording was wrong then. sorry. but for parents to discourage freestyle and greco is just plain stupid. its not hard to see that the best kids in the state are also the same kids who are participating in freestyle and greco as well.

Connersville Wednesday practice is a regional training center. We open the doors to any USA card holder who wants to improve their technique. Myself and Richmonds coach Bane pride ourself in trying to improve the area, not just our own kids. The last 4 yrs we have offered this information about what and when we are doing on the off season. The results have spoke for themselves. 99% of those wrestlers that worked with us are still in the state tourney. With all that said, one of the best parts is the relationships built between the kids!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.