mat assignments

IMAWRESTLER

I've heard this too.  And if it is true this is a travesty!  A lot of people come to the high school state tournament to watch their school and they might not know a lot about wrestling.  I have trouble keeping up with all the matches Friday night with mat numbers on the program let alone first available.  It will be impossible for Mr. Whitehead to keep up with calling people to mats on deck and in the hole on top of announcing the winners like he always does.  It will also be annoying and frustrating for the fans trying to listen to what mat wrestlers are being called to.  It's very difficult to see bout numbers on the scoreboards on the floor, that's why it is so helpful to be able to look in the program at match number and mat number. The state tournament is not supposed to be ran through as fast as you can, it's supposed to be a show... And in my opinion it's the best show in all of high school athletics.  BLF is huge, and it is not easy to maneuver around the floor, if you're warming up in the locker room area by mat 4 and you get called to mat 1 it will take awhile to get there.  Also certain officials have to officiate certain matches at state (officials are assigned to matches), because coaches scratch refs.  My question is how will they get the right official to the mat?  My other question is when trackwrestling breaks down Friday night... Will all 17,000+ stand up and boo?  (Track broke down at NC and EVille semi states).

I believe they will be putting mat assignments on the big screens also. Hopefully the fans can see the bout numbers and such on a 50" screen.

They've said they would do this in the past along with putting the team scores up there.... And they never have followed through with their word.

Joe Dad just explained it all to me.  It should run smooth.  Running team score on the big screen, along with on deck and in the hole for each mat on there.  It will be projected in the warm up area as well.  Whitehead will announce it all as well and it will be on the big screen.  They are running their own wifi line so not everyone gets on it and causes it to crash (like at semi states).  I think they learned from last week at semi state and are prepared to run it better

IHSAA letter (e-mail) to AD's:

1.        You will notice that the brackets this year do not contain mat assignments.  We have instituted a ‘first available’ procedure this year.  Several locations will be available to inform you of the que for each bout, wrestler, and mat.  It is the responsibility of the coach and wrestler to get to the appropriate mat at the appropriate time.  The announcer will read the information on mat assignments.  During the Coaches’ meeting on Friday evening the location of the monitors will be shared.

This appears to be the same format as the New Castle Semi-State.

It's the same format as New Castle, but I feel bad for grandma and grandpa who came to see lil Johnny wrestle and they could have found a seat by mat one where they knew all week that he was on but now he is on mat four and they are all the way across bankers life 

Or how about coaches who could know ahead of time what kid was coming up where and they could adjust their coaching staff accordingly to make sure  that a certain coach could be with that kid.

Again. I don't get it.

I believe they will be putting mat assignments on the big screens also. Hopefully the fans can see the bout numbers and such on a 50" screen.

I think it would be hard to see a 50" screen because that is how big my TV is in the living room.  I think it would be awesome though if they finally utilize the jumbotron for the high school state tournament, especially the new 50' supertron they got now.  I really wish they weren't calling first available mats, because it is not necessary and will cause unnecessary chaos.  It does not speed the tournament up, and it will just cause more confusion to the spectator that does not understand what is going on.  The tournament will end at 10pm on Saturday night like always.  I also feel for the coaches, because they can not plan on where their kids are going to be.

I don't understand some of the changes.

I agree with Coach T... why in the heck would you not count first round semi state and first round at state, especially when this is how you win the ihsaa team tournament series now.  I understand why they don't score the first round at sectionals with the unpredictable first round forfeits.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.