Beginner Development

sslaymon

Being a club, that has a lot of turnover year after year, and only retaining a few from prior years, what are some of the ways you help develop a beginner? Our beginners have shown a huge step from starting this year at the beginning of November, but I'm curious what you other coaches do.

What are some of the techiniques and drills that you guys use during practice to help emphasize hip control, keeping head up and wrist control?

If a wrestlers is unstopable at takedowns and from bottom position, they are an unstopable wrestlers period.  Therefore, don't worry so much about hip control/top moves.  Worry more about hand control on bottom, keep moving on bottom, and basics from both nuetral and bottom positions. 

Only my 2 cents...

Keeping young kids involved in something as physically demanding and difficult as wrestling can be, IMO is about having a certain amount of success early on. This is not a universal truth or anything, but it's a pretty good predictor. The more success kids have early on, the quicker they begin to self-identify as a wrestler. When a kid begins to identify with the sport, when he says internally "I'm a wrestler", he's hooked. Developing his skill-set and competing becomes intrinsically valuable to him.

Having said that... defense defense defense position position position

Most youth coaches teach kids too many "moves" and to "be aggressive" while neglecting position, motion, defense and set-up action. With that in mind, you know the majority of your opponents will be coming at you over-aggressively with sloppy leg attacks. Good position, reaction timing and sound defensive technique translates in to wins in the early years.

A focus on position/defense = early success = self-identification = athlete retention/numbers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.