Trying to start a High School Program at a Charter School

jdeanb3

I was asked to try and get a wrestling program started at an Indianapolis Charter High School.  Any advice or outline as to what needs to be done to do this.  I thought about starting it as a wrestling club and building from there.  Any thoughts.  Thanks.

What a cool opportunity to start a new program! I definitely agree with Coach Wadkins. I think the best thing would be to start a middle school program in year one,  add JV for two years, then add Varsity in year 3 or 4. Scheduling will also be important. It is important that once you start a program, you schedule programs that you can be competitive with, then gradually improve the schedule as your program progresses. Good luck!

I am glad to that a Charter School is stepping up with more athletics. I tried for years to get the Charter School that my son attended to start wrestling and even had a great coach interested in talking to them but it fell on deaf  ears.  I know that a lot of kids have left the Charter Schools due to lack of sports. Thank you for stepping up! ;D ;D

Lol on the Daniel's jab, but true unfortunately.  "I think the best thing would be to start a middle school program in year one,  add JV for two years, then add Varsity in year 3 or 4."  This is a good plan, but if you've got the time and some help, I'd try to get a club going too...your better athletes will get better if they're hitting the tournament trail on the weekends.  The biggest thing to me if you really want to 'build' a program is to schedule primarily teams that you can compete with, even if you don't wrestle as many matches.  Try to avoid the top tier teams for a while and the 0-5 days for your kids if they're newbies. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.