IPS wrestling next season

WC182Dad

I am the current head wrestling coach at Howe and I can say that from what I have been told is that IPS will not fund any sports next year. I am focused of getting the most out of my wrestlers this year and to send as many as I can down to Conseco this season. We have several wrestlers that are on the football team (which I coach as well) and we are having a very sucessful season so far, I plan on carrying the momentum into the wrestling season. Some of the district administrators have expressed to me that they want to start up/revitalized some historic programs that were at other IPS schools. We shall see what the future holds. I have throughly enjoyed coaching at Howe and building the program there as well. I am sure that I will land somewhere next season as a head or assistant coach. Maybe even help out at the old "alma mater." I will keep you guys updated. I am looking forward to the season.

Goodluck this season coach. Hope everything works out I coached Attics a few years back and Dr. White took wrestling out it was very disappointing expecially after winning city had some really hard workers. Im pulling for you and your program. I know how hard you guys work.

It is a real shame that Dr White will not fund sports at the high schools that the state has to step in and take over.  Isn't it his job to make sure that the kids are educated?  Maybe Indianapolis should look at the administration that is failing the kids.  What I have seen, the schools have gone downhill since Dr White took over.  Should he be funded in the future?  Coach Brown, keep up the great work you are doing for the young men at Howe.

Thats what you would think I knew it was going to get bad when he cut football and wrestling at Attics just to add Golf. The next season he brought them back after loosing Domanique Mcfarland and my son and many other good athletes. I wish the programs in IPS all the best.

I know a ton of young men who would have gone the wrong direction without sports, I hate to say it...but more than one young man will not have a reason to pay attention in class, or give their best effort, or even show up without the consequence of not being able to participate; nor having to  face a mentor like a coach, (whom many are father figures).  This is a shame.  I know it saved my ass.

It is a real shame that Dr White will not fund sports at the high schools that the state has to step in and take over.  Isn't it his job to make sure that the kids are educated?  Maybe Indianapolis should look at the administration that is failing the kids.  What I have seen, the schools have gone downhill since Dr White took over.  Should he be funded in the future?  Coach Brown, keep up the great work you are doing for the young men at Howe.

The state stepped in first. Basically the schools that are being taken over by the state are now charter schools and compete with IPS for enrollment so why would he fund them? His job is to educate IPS students, not charter school students. It's an unfortunate lose/lose situation for the students. However, the adiminstration is not failing the kids, the parents are failing them. Until education becomes important in the home, there isn't a whole hell of a lot an adminstrator, teacher or coach  can do for them.

His job 4 years ago was to make sure our kids excell at school and taking away activities does not help.

First of all, "our kids"? Didn't you leave IPS? Next, how can one man make sure inner city kids excel? Shouldn't that be the parents' responsibility? Finally, if the state takes over a school, why should IPS continue funding programs? If you still say yes, where should this money come from to do so?

Guys, nothing is being taking away IPS is just not funding sports at the schools that the state is taking over. I can see the reasoning why Dr. White is doing so, it just SUCKS for the kids that I have been involved with and my middle school wrestlers that are now freshman. With the season three weeks away my focus is getting my wrestlers' ready to compete and being able to represent HOWE one last season. The charter school, that is taking over have yet to express interest in any sports that I am aware of. We open the season at the Daleville Duals and are off until the Westfield Shamrock Duals.

Tell ya the truth we owned a house in IPS and probably would of stayed if it wasnt for taking away the activities at the time, I like the idea of the Medical Mag. that was implied but to take away activities for young men leaves them to do non productive things just my opinion.

Tell ya the truth we owned a house in IPS and probably would of stayed if it wasnt for taking away the activities at the time, I like the idea of the Medical Mag. that was implied but to take away activities for young men leaves them to do non productive things just my opinion.

I remember you saying you lived in IPS when you were Caliboy. I don't remember you listing that as one of your reasons for leaving Manual for Perry. Again, where is the money for these "activities" supposed to come from?

This whole situation is unfortunate on a variety of levels, but IPS is facing $20 million in budget cuts and it has to come from somewhere.  The state is taking over Arlington, Howe, Manual, and Donnan Middle School for not showing adequate progress over the last 5 years per the Indiana Department of Education, and others are still on the watch list.  It's easy to point fingers at Dr. White, the teachers, parents, and/or the kids, but it's tough all the way around and blame is shared across the board.

As much as taking away athletics/wrestling at these schools sucks, IPS is still a business and it is a business move.  Everyone knows that athletics is the primary reason some of our kids even come to school in the first place.  But IPS paying for athletics at a school it is now competing against for kids is not even logical.  IPS already has to incurr the transportation bill to those charters.  The kids have the choice of staying or transfering to another IPS school, and the secondary personnel are displaced and must interview for their jobs.  Definitely unfortunate but capitalism at it's finest.

I know enough to know I know nothing at all, but through all of this what I've seen in IPS is that Dr. White does have it together, there are some great teachers who genuinely care about the kids, some good parents who want the best for their child, career/prep programs not offered anywhere else in the state, extremely intelligent and bright students, while many IPS elementary and middle schools test at the highest levels in the state.

IPS' problem on the other hand is much bigger than Dr. White.  It's issue is cultural, generational, social, economical and spans across the United States.  We face daily what others only see in movies.  These kids exist, have to be taught somewhere and while it's not the easiest thing to do - someone has do it.  This is why I chose to coach in IPS - because of the challenge, the difference I could make, and there is only one way to go and that is up.  I imagine this feeling is shared by all who have invested themselves in our kid's success.

IPS wrestling next season will look differently when that time comes, which is why it is important for us take this year we have now and make the absolute most out of it.   There is some gome great history at these schools and I am certain our programs will go out strong the last year under IPS' banner.  Who knows, the corporations taking over these schools just may have money for it themselves?  Either way, best wishes IPS coaches and wrestler THIS upcoming season!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.