Long leaving Iowa State, intends to transfer to Penn State

http://www.themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=22845

By Tom Kroeschell Iowa State Sports Information

12/08/2010

Andrew Long will leave Ames and head to State College. Photo by Tony Rotundo/Tech-Fall.com

AMES, Iowa ? Former Iowa State wrestler Andrew Long intends to transfer to Penn State to continue his collegiate wrestling career it was announced Wednesday. Long was the 125-pound runner-up for the Cyclones at the NCAA Championships in March. He finished the season with a 27-7 record.

?We gave Andrew a series of steps he needed to accomplish to rejoin our team,? Iowa State head coach Kevin Jackson said. ?During that process, Andrew decided that he could best address those issues in a place where he would be starting over. We will honor his decision and support his efforts to address his personal issues.?

Long was dismissed from the Iowa State wrestling team in June after violations of team rules. He is currently enrolled as a student at Iowa State.

?I want to thank coach Jackson for his support while I have been here,? Long said. ?We were working on a process through which I would be able to join the team for the second semester. As I worked through this process I came to the conclusion that I needed a chance to start over somewhere else. ?

http://www.themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=22845

By Tom Kroeschell Iowa State Sports Information

12/08/2010

Andrew Long will leave Ames and head to State College. Photo by Tony Rotundo/Tech-Fall.com

AMES, Iowa ? Former Iowa State wrestler Andrew Long intends to transfer to Penn State to continue his collegiate wrestling career it was announced Wednesday. Long was the 125-pound runner-up for the Cyclones at the NCAA Championships in March. He finished the season with a 27-7 record.

?We gave Andrew a series of steps he needed to accomplish to rejoin our team,? Iowa State head coach Kevin Jackson said. ?During that process, Andrew decided that he could best address those issues in a place where he would be starting over. We will honor his decision and support his efforts to address his personal issues.?

Long was dismissed from the Iowa State wrestling team in June after violations of team rules. He is currently enrolled as a student at Iowa State.

?I want to thank coach Jackson for his support while I have been here,? Long said. ?We were working on a process through which I would be able to join the team for the second semester. As I worked through this process I came to the conclusion that I needed a chance to start over somewhere else. ?

Will Iowa State release him to Penn State?  Or will Long lose a year of eligibility?