Stalling

HeartBreaker

If you blow the whistle as soon as a foot goes out of bounds to avoid controversy you take the chance of making MORE controversy when a kid finishes a take down with 2 or possibly 3 feet still in bounds.  Granted wrestlers shouldn't wrestle on the edge, BUT its going to happen, action still takes play on the edge, I don't think you should stop the match just because of a toe being on the line ya know. I think that's the thing I didn't like the most this weekend, just let them wrestle. Just my opinion though.

I do agree to let them wrestle i think they need to be consistant either way. I like the rule in college where they keep wrestling as long as one part is still in bounds.

I agree with you about having one bodypart inbounds. That makes it an easier call for the official.

I think that's why I was so confused this weekend, I am used to the college rule where you only need one foot IN BOUNDS to score, not stop the match when one body part leaves the mat. I do agree with the ref it makes it more controversial, but at the same time, you are the ref, hopefully you are prepared to make calls like that.  :)

In a semi final match i coached the refs called a double stalling on the two wrestlers. Late in the 2nd period only one of the wrestlers got another stalling call when nothing had changed at all... They were both still pretty much stalling, pushing each other around. That one point decided the match. What does the rule state?? 8)

I agree that the rule needs to change with regards to the action on the edge, a takedown or move that happens should count if a part of one wrestler is in.  maybe it will lead to more wrestling in the middle, if not at least with the moves counting it will not be a good  strategy to wrestle the edge and it will lead to more scoring, just think of all the points that would have been scored from takedowns where one wrestler had a body part in bounds.

I did see some great 1-0/2-0 matches. The finals match at 130 was action packed down to the last second in overtime. They kept wrestling taking shots, moving off the hips on top, etc. We need to reward the wrestler that wrestles the full 6 minutes.  Start punishing the individual that moves backwards, lays on top or bottom.  I have noticed a ton of matches especially on the world level in Freestyle that are 0-0 but the period doesn't end that way,  if you were familar with wrestling you would know the exciting game of the clinch.  Let's get the party started and wrestle and quit playing the line give the individual who score first some kind of reward.  If you watch Jason run a Turk, he punishes his opponent  and turns him he doesn't lay ther and keep the botom man from wrestling bring it back to their feet.  Forget it,  now I know why freestyle is wrestled around the world and we are wrestling it less and less It's much easier to wait for the second and third periods so you can lay on your opponent turn them with 2 secs. left and win 2-0.  The way some of the finals matches went we might as well just start in OT things would be much funner to watch.

Here is another good one for you as in Freestyle if the move is started in bounds and continues out of bounds the points are still scored so wrestling the line would really hurt quite a few wrestlers infact you may find them in the third row with 2 points scored against them NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!  A blast double to the 3rd row now thats excitement when the ref throws up 2

Here is my opinion and mine only.  I feel that the best thing that our sport could do, would be to bring back a few of the old style Freestyle rules.  This Folkstyle high school rules needs an up lift or lets get on board with the college level rules and make these kids wrestle.  I to felt to much time was spent dancing around the mat or throwing the boots in and not being able to turn an indinidual.   The 112# finals was one of the most boring matches of the tourney, it wasn't until Ayresman made a move did someone win in over time from a 0-0 tie BORING,  LETS WRESTLE.  Start rewarding the individual that takes the risk of shooting quit runiing riding the line and winning by one point because you put in the boots and laid ontop of your opponent.  I could go on for ever but if you wanted to see a fun match let the kids get more physical quit letting someone put the boots in and fake turning  someone for 2 min. lets wrestle in the middle

Perfect summary, very boring finals this year, VERY boring

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.