wrestlers season ended right before regionals

hammer91

Well it is a different time that these kids are in. Hate to sound like an old guy, but when I wrestled if I did something wrong, my coach would yell and embarass the heck out of me. Now days it seems that you cant even do that, as a coach,it seems, you have to be a little more considerate with the kids "feelings". It seems like this trend is only going to get worse as time goes on. This does make it hard for coaches to motivate and push kids in a sport in which such qualities are needed to make a champion. 

I sure do miss "the Good ole days"

WOW. I am shocked by the replies to this!!!

1st - "We as adults have to teach our children that they have to accept the decision of authority figures." This is exactly the opposite of american; perhaps communist!! If you follow this logic we would still have slavery and women would not be allowed to vote.

2nd - Making up statistics to prove your point is a little weak. The high school kids "may have been 100lbs bigger." Who knows, the middle school kid may have been bigger!! Don't just make things up!

3rd - We dont know the whole story, so it's really hard to make a decision. If the high school kids were bullies, then good. If they were just trying to push the kid a little harder to make him better (and the future of their high school better) then kudos to the High School kids.

Regardless of what happened here.  Agree or disagree with the situaton.  Agree or disagree with the decision of the administrators.  We as adults have to teach our children that they have to accept the decision of authority figures.  Don't make excuses.  Don't blame someone else.  Say you are sorry and accept the consequence.  Like it or not.  Some day you will have a boss that makes a decision for you.  Maybe you don't agree with it.  You can either accept it or start collecting unemployment.  That is life.

I'm not sure how much I agree with this philosophy.

Don't question authority? Just accept it?

You bet we did.

If there was one thing I learned at college, it WAS to question authority.

Boy oh boy Dane you are starting to sound like some of those disrespectful soccer players I used to coach back in the day when you were about 13 years old.  There is no doubt that I am right now eating crow about the situation at Jay County when it comes to questioning authority.  I admit that!  But did that high dollar Butler education teach you to really question authority?  Would mom and dad Fuelling have been happy if you questioned their authority?  Say they told your curfew is 10:oopm.  You think it is ok to argue that you think it should have been midnight?  Should your students question you?  Say you assign them to do 40 math questions.  Should they argue with you that they think they should do 30?  I am not saying that you can't disagree with authority.  However, in most situations, questioning authority results in a lose lose situation. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.