Satelite Weigh-Ins?????

rvq71

All these ISWA tournaments this year that are "satellite weigh-ins ONLY" are going to STINK!! Which is about every tournament this year!

Like for instance this weekend......Say New Palestine happens to cancel their tournament due to the weather, but Martinsville still has theirs, all the kids that were going to New Pal are out of luck on Sunday because they didn't fax to Martinsville...... Or do we need to just fax or e-mail all wrestlers to every tournament just to play it safe? Then on Sunday morning when they have a couple hundred registered wrestlers not show up to Martinsville because they're @ New Pal. (or) vice versa some people are NOT going to be happy.....then getting the tournaments started is just going to prolong it even longer. Then the tournament info say's 9:00 (sharp) start time on MOST tournaments, we'll see! With no weigh-ins, 9:00 should be the LATEST to start a tournament........It's going to be an interesting season!  ???

I was thinking the same thing . I am in bed filling out paperwork for this weekend! New Pal is the one that gives me cause to pause because of last year,maybe we should fax to more then one and then call if we are not going???? I have no clue!

It is true that most tournaments on the schedule require faxed weigh-ins only. I beleive this is in response to numerous complaints from parents and coaches who want the tournament to start on time and end early. I don't see how you can have it both ways. Either you have faxed weigh-ins and start on time or you have  same day weigh-ins and wait a minimum of 1 hour to pair the tournament.

The weather is a factor in the winter months but there is not much anyone can do about it.  If 2 tournaments are as close in proximity as Martinsville and New Pal, chances are both tournaments would be cancelled.  While New Pal was a problem last year....the club is under new management.

I also do not like that all of the tournaments this year are faxed weigh-ins only. There are going to be kids that don't sign up because they are not 100% sure they can go- when they decide they can, it is too late. Or you are going to have the ones that sign up when they are not sure and then don't go so the tournament is delayed or there are a ton of forfeits. My son went to one tournament last year where they did not rebracket for no shows and he had forfeits all of the way to the finals. That was unfair to him and the other wrestlers in the bracket and it was a major waste of our time.  Another concern is for the kids that want to go to tournaments that their club is not going to- with this way of doing it, they don't have much of a choice.  Or... The person doing the registration for the club gets stuck filling out paperwork and faxing to 4 tournaments...  That sucks too.  No need to even go into how some of these kids do not weigh what they were faxed in at...    I know you can't please everyone but I don't like the new way. 

I was thinking the same thing . I am in bed filling out paperwork for this weekend! New Pal is the one that gives me cause to pause because of last year,maybe we should fax to more then one and then call if we are not going???? I have no clue!

What happen last year? We are planning on going. if they cancel how do we find out?  even if they cancel because of weather. We are 2+ hours away. Thanks

We drove there last year and it was cancelled, parking lot was full of people that had no idea about it! Teams from all over the state were there...... I guess you just look on here.

ISWA gave an inch last year to do satelite weigh-ins and now look what happened. You wanna say it takes an hour to pair and get the tournament started, so be it. That's part of the game. I've been involved in this for a long time dating back to when it was AAU Freestyle only, and it wasn't an issue then. Look at the technology we have today!  If the next excuse is that they're short staffed, then they shouldn't be bidding to run tournaments.

It is fair that we do weigh-in in the morning of the tournament.. I like that better then doing weigh-ins the night before or even satelite weigh-ins for 1 main reason.. The kids can put alot of weight on over night or even over a couple of days if the club weigh-in on wednesday night for saturday or sunday tournament.. I worked a table that checked in the satelite weigh-in kids and had different people that had different weights then what was sent. I think you should be able to pre-reg but not with weight. I believe what ever weight your at that morning is the weight you should wrestle....

Unless we get some major snow ( that isn't in the forecast) New Pal will be up and running no problem.  I think New Pal learned not to jump the gun last year.    The last tournament we had ran great with some really good competition.  So, everyone hang in there and we will see you tomorrow, ready to wrestle.

Satellite weigh ins have both positive and negative aspects, yes...as do about every other option.  The one thing that is most important and that should always  be the focus is the kids.  These kids do not have fun sitting in a gym for 4 hours waiting on a tournament go get paired...our kids have done it time and time again, we've had parents leave, kids get tired, bored, etc....  We live in a more rural area, about 2.5-3 hours from Indy, so when we wrestle, we travel regardless.  So, to have to travel and then sit and wait for hours is really hard on these kids. 

When you go to a tournament and the brackets are posted, the child knows what mat they are on, who they are wrestling, their match numbers...like at Franklin, Tell City, Jasper, just to name a few--this type of organization takes so much stress off of the kids  (and the parents). 

Now, that being said, there are issues with those who may fib on faxed weights--this is a given.  My views on this are......they are primarily hurting themselves, because they will not be able to do this at State Finals, and that is when it counts.  Yes, it is unfair to the kids that they wrestle at weekly tournaments...but all in all, I would like to think the majority of people are honest...and we need to teach our kids that we use accurate wts. 

ISWA cannot fix the flaws of every tournament.......I personally think things have came a very long way and that they do a great job, the best that they can. 

• 5 weeks later...

I like the satellite weigh-ins and I hope they keep it up. As far as the people who lie about their kids weight just to try and give their kids an advantage is not really a thought for me either. It only makes my kid better. I would much rather my kid wrestle another kid that is a little bigger throughout year then when it comes to state and he is wrestling kids his own weight they seem easier. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.