Saving Wrestling

naco228

I came across this site on Facebook and just had to put it on here.

www.savingwrestling.com

I'm not exactly sure what Title IX has done to wrestling, but I heard that around 200 collegiate wrestling programs had been dropped since it was established in the 70's.

Fresno State, Oregon, Notre Dame, and BYU (just to name a few popular ones.)

What can we do to save this sport?

Like everything else it come's down to $$$$$.  Title IX was implemented to narrow the gap in sports opportunities between males and females, but rather than increasing opps for females, the powers that be dropped opps for males, thus narrowing the gap ( % ) and in doing so saving mucho $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Leave it to politicians to ^$%* it up.

I came across this site on Facebook and just had to put it on here.

www.savingwrestling.com

I'm not exactly sure what Title IX has done to wrestling, but I heard that around 200 collegiate wrestling programs had been dropped since it was established in the 70's.

Fresno State, Oregon, Notre Dame, and BYU (just to name a few popular ones.)

What can we do to save this sport?

Title IX has nearly destroyed college wrestling.  It destroyed my collegiate program at Franklin.  We were a strong NCAA Division II program with a long history of defeating Division I schools (ND, Kentucky, Western Mich, Evansville, UT Chatt, Valpo, etc.) in the years just prior to the program ending in 1982.  At that time, Indiana had several small school programs in addition to Franklin which have dropped the sport such as Earlham, Anderson, Huntington, Hanover, Taylor, Evansville, Valpo, Rose-Hulman, and DePauw. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.