Purdue Wresle-Off Results

The Boilermakers kicked off their season with outstanding competition on Saturday.

Wrestle-Off Recap

Oct. 31, 2009

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - The Purdue wrestling team held their annual season-opening wrestle-offs on Saturday, competing in 23 intrasquad matches and seeing some great contests in the process. Several Boilermaker standouts went undefeated on the day, including preseason-ranked grapplers Colton Salazar and Luke Manuel.

Salazar topped a pair of true freshmen in Kendrick Sanders and Kyle Mosier, edging out Sanders by decision, 5-3, and sticking Mosier in the only pin of the day in 1:51. Manuel faced stiffer competition on the day, squaring off with the projected starters on either side of the lineup: 165-pound senior Jason Martin and 184-pound senior Nick Corpe. Manuel topped Corpe, 5-1, in his first bout of the day, and edged out Martin with a sudden-victory takedown, 3-1.

Corpe and Martin were able to see their share of success in positional battles as Corpe topped junior David Pisarcik for the starting nod at 184, 8-2, while Martin edged out sophomore John Doyle for the top spot at 165, 3-2.

Freshman Cashé Quiroga came out on top of the 125-pound contests, topping sophomore Matt Fields, 8-3, and defeating fellow rookie Camden Eppert, 7-3. Fields took down Eppert in head-to-head competition, 6-0, to remain second on the team's depth chart, and junior Akif Eren solidified his projected starting position at 133 pounds, defeating sophomore Bill Putman twice.

Things remain interesting for the Boilermakers at 141 pounds as an injury to sophomore Jake Fleckenstein prevented all the scheduled matches from taking place. Fleckenstein sustained a cut under his right eye in a hard-fought 2-1 tie-break victory over junior Juan Archuleta and was unable to finish the rest of his bouts. Archuleta bounced back after the win to score major-decision wins over freshmen Tommy Churchard and Matt Manuel, topping Churchard, 12-3, and downing Manuel, 18-7.

At 149 pounds, senior Nick Bertucci finished 2-0 on the day, but both were narrow wins as he needed a tie-breaker to edge out classmate Sam Patacsil, 4-2, and scored a late takedown for a 3-1 win over senior Matt Redmond. Patacsil holds the No. 2 spot on the depth chart as he battled Redmond into another tie-break match and came out on top 2-1.

"We have a lot of capable guys at 125, 141 and 149," said Purdue head coach Scott Hinkel. "Today's action gives me a lot of confidence in putting any of those guys out on the mat. They're all incredible competitors and should all have great seasons."

Junior 197-pounder Logan Brown saw limited action, facing Pisarcik in a catch-weight bout and taking on redshirt A.J. Kissel. Brown topped Pisarcik, 3-0, and lost a hard-fought battle to Kissel, 3-0. Junior heavyweight Roger Vukobratovich topped freshman Alex White twice on the day, taking both contest by major decision.

The Boilermakers officially open things up next weekend, heading to Ypsilanti, Mich., for the Eastern Michigan Open.

Purdue Wrestle-Offs

Saturday, Oct. 31

Blake Wrestling Center

125 Pounds

Cashé Quiroga def. Matt Fields, D 8-3

Matt Fields def. Camden Eppert, D 6-0

Cashé Quiroga def. Camden Eppert, D 7-3

133 Pounds

Akif Eren def. Bill Putman, D 8-2

Akif Eren def. Bill Putman, D 6-3

141 Pounds

Jake Fleckenstein def. Juan Archuleta, D 2-1 (TB1)

Tommy Churchard def. Matt Manuel, MD 10-2

Juan Archuleta def. Tommy Churchard, MD 12-3

Juan Archuleta def. Matt Manuel, MD 18-7

149 Pounds

Nick Bertucci def. Sam Patacsil, D 4-2 (TB1)

Nick Bertucci def. Matt Redmond, D 3-1

Sam Patacsil def. Matt Redmond, D 2-1 (TB1)

157 Pounds

Colton Salazar def. Kendrick Sanders, D 5-3

Kendrick Sanders def. Kyle Mosier, D 15-9

Colton Salazar def. Kyle Mosier, Fall 1:51

165 Pounds

Jason Martin def. John Doyle, D 3-2

174 Pounds

Luke Manuel def. Jason Martin, D 3-1 (SV)

184 Pounds

Luke Manuel def. Nick Corpe, D 5-1

Nick Corpe def. David Pisarcik, D 8-2

197 Pounds

Logan Brown def. David Pisarcik, D 3-0

A.J. Kissel def. Logan Brown, D 3-0

285 Pounds

Roger Vukobratovich def. Alex White, MD 14-5

Roger Vukobratovich def. Alex White, MD 15-5

I'm not close to the program so this is all pure conjecture on my point.  That being said I would like to see Cashe wrestle this year while Eppert redshirts then have them swap the following year with Cashe redshirting and Eppert wresling for the starting position.

I'm not close to the program so this is all pure conjecture on my point.  That being said I would like to see Cashe wrestle this year while Eppert redshirts then have them swap the following year with Cashe redshirting and Eppert wresling for the starting position.

I see the logic in that, but I would also like to see Cashe redshirted and have a chance at 4x AA. If he starts this year I would stop just short of saying he could do it. He's a great wrestler, but AA as a freshman is never easy.

I'm not close to the program so this is all pure conjecture on my point.  That being said I would like to see Cashe wrestle this year while Eppert redshirts then have them swap the following year with Cashe redshirting and Eppert wresling for the starting position.

I see the logic in that, but I would also like to see Cashe redshirted and have a chance at 4x AA. If he starts this year I would stop just short of saying he could do it. He's a great wrestler, but AA as a freshman is never easy.

4x AA? He hasnt even wrestled an official college match yet... Its still way early....Lets let him get some matches under his belt first  ;)

4x AA? He hasnt even wrestled an official college match yet... Its still way early....Lets let him get some matches under his belt first  ;)

That's why I would redshirt him if I was Hinkle. He's done well on the national stage in high school, but he won't adjust as quickly as someone like a David Taylor would.