Action in the stands before the 165 final

Jon H

Here?s how it all went down:

A group of Indiana High School wrestlers made the tip to St. Louis in support of the former Indiana Wrestlers that were participating in the NCAA Championships.  In support of Andrew Howe six kids painted the letters ?HOWE!!? on their chests.  They left their shirts on till after the 157 lb match and the presentation of the 149 lb awards.  After the 149 lb awards the kids stood up and took off their shirts in anticipation of the introduction of the 165 lb match.  About 30 seconds after taking their shirts off the security lady in our section told them they would have to put their shirts back on due to NCAA Rules.  The kids put their shirts back on however the fans around them started to shout in support of the kids ?take off your shirts?.  This chant grew to about 500 people or so and the lady security guard got nervous and called for back-up.  About one minute later the head of security for the arena showed up to now about 1000 people chanting ?take off your shirts?.  The head of security then made the point and thumb mothin like you 6 kids are out of here.  So I turned around and told the guy that they were not leaving cause they were all minors and under my supervision.  The crowd then started chanting ?Leave them A lone? and at this point they number of people chanting grew in large numbers and it was very hard to hear what the guy was saying to me but all I could understand was that he was now wanting to make me leave.  So I went up to the top of the isle and spoke with him for a couple minutes and let him know it was all in total support of Howe and that it was crazy for them to try to kick out kids for support of a formal Team Indiana teammate.  He made me agree that if the shirts came off again that we would have to leave and I agreed.  When I walked back to my seat the people were still chanting ?leave them alone? and about 30 people had taken off their shirts in support of the kids.  I sat down just as Andrew?s match started so I got to see the whole match.  After the 165 lb match the lady sitting in front of my introduced herself as a formal NCAA employee and said she had never heard of such a rule and looked it up on her personal computer.  She told me there was nothing in the NCAA Rules that states they were not allowed to take off their shirts and she had already sent an e-mail to the NCAA on how the security had handled the whole situation.  At the end of the event the head of security thanked me for working with them and complement on how well behaved the kids were even with the whole situation. 

Congratulations to both Reece and Andrew for a great tournament it was very exciting and worth every penny we spent to watch them. 

Sounds like the worse part of all of this is the fact the kids actaully complied with the security guards, only to be asked to leave later without causing further problems.  Glad to hear the situation was finally handled properly after your rational thinking Chris.

Chris, I have to ask, did you give the security guards "ProPower" shirts? :)

They ask for a shirt but I didnt think they were cool enough to get one. 

That would be the definition of irony....trying to toss kids out of the event for not wearing a shirt, and then asking for a shirt themselves..... ;D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.