Conspiracy in officiating at the Individual State Finals

First of all, there are only 12 officials at the Individual state finals (13 only if you count the supervisor of officials)

Also, Pete Schroeder is from the south side of Indianapolis (Perry Twp) , Jon Hammond and Frankie Medvescek are from the south side of 40 in Plainfield  ;)

129 officials applied for the sectional, and 7 pulled out for one reason or another prior to the tournament. Of the 122 remaining applicants 21 were from "the south" if you define Hwy 40 across the state as a north/south dividing line. A few others live in Greenwood, Plainfield, Terre Haute, etc., so for arguements sake we can say they are not from northern Indiana.

Of those 21 from the southern part of the state, only two were eligible to work the individual state finals... Steve Anslinger, Evansville, and John Gillespie, Bloomington. A few other sectional officials from the south that have state finals experience were not eligible this year. That list includes Greg Moe, Sulphur (recently relocated from north of Ft Wayne), Glen Crocker, Lawrenceburg area, Orlando Fontanez, Greensburg, and Kevin Huelsman, Jasper. The others were not eligible.

Advancing in the state tournament series is based on several criteria:

1. The official's GPA based on coaches ratings

2. Scoring at least 90% on the Part II test

3. Having at least 10 votes to work a sectional, 15 to work a SS, and 20 to work the state finals

4. At least 5 varsity matches

5. Strength of schedule

Unfortunately, the number of officials in Indiana is a direct positive correlation to the population of the state... most of the people and officials are from Indianapolis or above. Being a southern Indiana boy from Princeton, my current Valparaiso residence is only a label... I'm still a southerner at heart and I feel the pain!

We need to recruit more new officials everywhere, especially in the south, and the schools in the south need to make sure they vote and support the officials that they know. There's a good young crop of Evansville area officials that are 3-4 years away from being state eligible... Mike Goebel, Tim Alcorn, Curtis VanNess, Jacob Holtz, Aaron Wyatt, Andy Chandler, Rob Clausheide, and Brian Hays. That number goes down as fast as it goes up, though, when Fontanez and Crocker have basically retired, Gillespie, Pat Babcock, and Mac Dubbs are past 55, and Anslinger, Huelsman and others have kids that are getting to the age that dad wants to watch rather than officiate (the same reason that retired Scott Wallis and Mark Mastison 2 years ago). It's a numbers game...........

First of all, there are only 12 officials at the Individual state finals (13 only if you count the supervisor of officials)

Also, Pete Schroeder is from the south side of Indianapolis (Perry Twp) , Jon Hammond and Frankie Medvescek are from the south side of 40 in Plainfield  ;)

129 officials applied for the sectional, and 7 pulled out for one reason or another prior to the tournament. Of the 122 remaining applicants 21 were from "the south" if you define Hwy 40 across the state as a north/south dividing line. A few others live in Greenwood, Plainfield, Terre Haute, etc., so for arguements sake we can say they are not from northern Indiana.

Of those 21 from the southern part of the state, only two were eligible to work the individual state finals... Steve Anslinger, Evansville, and John Gillespie, Bloomington. A few other sectional officials from the south that have state finals experience were not eligible this year. That list includes Greg Moe, Sulphur (recently relocated from north of Ft Wayne), Glen Crocker, Lawrenceburg area, Orlando Fontanez, Greensburg, and Kevin Huelsman, Jasper. The others were not eligible.

Advancing in the state tournament series is based on several criteria:

1. The official's GPA based on coaches ratings

2. Scoring at least 90% on the Part II test

3. Having at least 10 votes to work a sectional, 15 to work a SS, and 20 to work the state finals

4. At least 5 varsity matches

5. Strength of schedule

Unfortunately, the number of officials in Indiana is a direct positive correlation to the population of the state... most of the people and officials are from Indianapolis or above. Being a southern Indiana boy from Princeton, my current Valparaiso residence is only a label... I'm still a southerner at heart and I feel the pain!

We need to recruit more new officials everywhere, especially in the south, and the schools in the south need to make sure they vote and support the officials that they know. There's a good young crop of Evansville area officials that are 3-4 years away from being state eligible... Mike Goebel, Tim Alcorn, Curtis VanNess, Jacob Holtz, Aaron Wyatt, Andy Chandler, Rob Clausheide, and Brian Hays. That number goes down as fast as it goes up, though, when Fontanez and Crocker have basically retired, Gillespie, Pat Babcock, and Mac Dubbs are past 55, and Anslinger, Huelsman and others have kids that are getting to the age that dad wants to watch rather than officiate (the same reason that retired Scott Wallis and Mark Mastison 2 years ago). It's a numbers game...........

CBarnett is the man!!!!

You can officiate the Team state finals once every 4 years. Once you call the Team state the next year you cannot do the team series at all. The following year you could work only to the Team Regional level, then the Team SS level, and then back to the Team State. With the elimination of the Team SS you will now only do the Team Regional for the 2nd & 3rd year, and then back to Team State in the 4th year. That could change, but that's the way it is for now.

You can work the Individual state for 2 years in a row, and then you have to sit out for at least 2 years.

That being said, you can work one of the state finals 3 out of every 4 years, and this was Greg's year to do neither. Last year he worked team State, this year he was out, and next year he will be eligible to work the individual finals again.  :)

Two first time officials work the Individual state finals each year. Although there's no set number, 1-3 first time guys usually work into the Team state each time. Having this rotation insures that experienced officials earn their way back in each year, but it also gives other guys a chance to advance in as well.

Hey TAE you ought to check out a thread at thematforums.com. Its in the high school section with a title like 1 takedown and 17 switches in the 1st period. At the end of the first 1 minute period the score was tied 18-18. 

Its a very entertaining thread that personifies your statement about humor.

Mr. Barnett,

IT WAS A JOKE.

Cut me some slack. I totally understand the way the officials are selected.

I will delete my post.

Humor is not appreciated.

TAE

Kudos to cbarnett for the explanation. Whether TAE meant it as a "joke" or not, I had no idea how things worked when selecting officials and often wondered why there were so many officials from Indianapolis and the north. I appreciate the explanation and it doesn't sound to me like cbarnett was offended by the post, he just explained it.

Good question by the ole Elder and great response by cbarnett and  I have wondered the same thing and was glad to see an explanation that puts it out there with no sugar coatings. Doesn't sound to me like anybody was offended so why pull your post unless you were offended yourself Mr Neal  ??? ::) ???

Absolutely no offense taken on my part, and I don't think there would be by any other officials....northern or southern.  Although your knowledge of how it works is evident, I still thought there was a good question in there, and one that has been asked of me many times, so it was a good forum to post a response/explanation for the masses.

It's true... we need more officials and we need them from everywhere. I'm still thinking that we can talk that Comcast guy that use to coach at Lowell in to donning the stripes  :)

OK OK... TAE deleted his post before I could read it, but if I  know him it was a well articulated, thought provoking, well thought out, smart ass comment. I had to comment on the thread anyway because I can't stand to see my two favorite officals (because they are the only ones who will still talk to me) snapping at one another.

I have to give "Mr. Neal" a wahoo. 1st for his recent induction into the IHSWCA hall of fame (as an official for the past 50 years), so he knew the answer well before he asked the question, and 2nd I know it just kills him to have negative cool points. ;D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.