Brazilian jiu-jitsu & Wrestling

tHi3RrY

i have been training brazilian jiu-jitsu right now for a while. i am currently 16-0. I have won 6 Champion titles. In Naga and C3 Tournaments. this is my first year wrestling at Michigan City Highschool, i found it very hard ot switch form straight brazilian jiu jitsu everyday to now wrestling and ju ju... Wrestling is so much different. I still find it very hard to switch back and forth. I have problems with falling to into guard and getting into weird postions that would be beneficial in jiu jitsu but not wrestling. my current varsity record is 8-4.. i started late into the season so thats why i have a low number of matches.. i do also train in Muay Thai kickboxing and MMA.. and will be starting my MMA career once i turn 18.. Does anyone else make the transition from jiu jitsu or grappling to wrestling all the time? is it hard for you?

Keep working on the wrestling.  It will finally come together for you.  If you are serious about wrestling, make sure you get a lot of time on the mat.  After the season is over keep doing freestyle, etc.

As for falling into guard, make sure you do the opposite in wrestling.  If you are going to get taken down always go to your stomach.

One thing that will be very difficult for you to get used to in wrestling will be to post a hand, elbow, knee, or foot on the mat. Often in BJJ that will get you in a position for a submission hold whereas in wrestling in will prevent the opponant from scoring. The biggest advantage that wrestling will bring is the control of your hips. This will be very benificial in BJJ from a bottom position and into transitions. Best of luck with both.

• 4 weeks later...

I had my start with wrestling before exploring BJJ.  It took 2 years to finally feel relatively comfortable using the guard.  Then I lost 125lbs and had to relearn everything.  As a grappler you revert back to what feels most comfortable, thus give me top control any day of the week!  A great scarfhold/headl0ck will do the job most every time! 

Take downs also come a lot more naturally to the wrestler, be it shots or throws.  The two styles though similar are wildly different but both a LOT of fun.

• 3 weeks later...

I started wrestling and now do bjj in college with the IUBJJ Club. I love it. Wrestling help teach some great body control but also some bad habits. It takes some time to get comfortable and I still go help out at my high shook on breaks and I end up in weird positions. My advice is stay on your feet for wrestling until you get comfortable with riding somebody. Try ridig legs a lot and sidemount is your friend

Ive done BJJ and Judo, and honestly the transition is easier from Wrestling to Judo back and forth than BJJ to wrestling back and forth. Different mentalities, especially with the maintaining a solid base when going from BJJ to wrestling. Its easy to get turned, and you attack different things. Then in BJJ after wrestling, its easy to give up the back! Way too easy... pisses me off.

I wrestle and do BJJ. I have perfect transition back and forth. I rarely ever give my back in BJJ. Ive only been beaten 2 times in 2 tournaments and a grappling match in a cage. I use my wrestling to my advantage for arm drags and i put in legs. On my back it seems normal because my instructor made me start on my back in practice every time. Double legs in BJJ are just a set up to a triangle or arm bar. Over and Unders are good for MMA and BJJ. Singles, in MMA NEVER!!!.

I love both the sports in equality. They both take skill to be successful.

• 3 weeks later...

Singles, in MMA NEVER!!!.

I definitely don't agree with this statement.  Singles can be somewhat dangerous in MMA, if you are inexperienced.  But if used properly, and you keep control of the leg you're attacking, they are often more useful than doubles, as you can end up in side control every time.