Iran wrestling news

7 hours ago, Irani said:

Apparently Pejman Dorostkar has resigned and Kaveh is now the head coach of Iran

Can hardly read Persian so I’m not understanding the nuance fully, did he leave of his own accord or was he asked to resign??

Crazy news 8 months out of the Olympics. 

18 minutes ago, kmrabr said:

Can hardly read Persian so I’m not understanding the nuance fully, did he leave of his own accord or was he asked to resign??

Crazy news 8 months out of the Olympics. 

The title says something like “shocking news right before the Olympics “

it just says he resigned , does not say anything about the reason

On 12/11/2023 at 9:31 PM, Irani said:

Hey sorry for late reply. Yeah I've heard hr has injured his groin area again. Which is a bummer.

I heard somewhere Goleij is injured too but not sure if that is the case or not. 97kg will be interesting today at national championships. Mohammadian, Goleij, Azarpira and Ghasempour were all supposed to wrestle before Kamran's injury.

Goleij is wrestling. Just Kamran who is out with injury.

Winner of this tournament will probably go on down the line to face Kamran for the Olympic spot in some form or another. So it's a big thing.

I think Mohammadian takes it.

Edited by Uwwdoc

6 hours ago, The Genius said:

Please God no

How many chances will we give this guy 

I mean if the guy beats everyone in his weight in the country he deserves the chance no?

He wrestles Azarpira in the tournament final tomorrow.

I reckon winner of this somewhere down the line wrestles Kamran for the Olympic spot or they might send them to a international tournament.

Goleij lost today 

24 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

I mean if the guy beats everyone in his weight in the country he deserves the chance no?

He wrestles Azarpira in the tournament final tomorrow.

I reckon winner of this somewhere down the line wrestles Kamran for the Olympic spot or they might send them to a international tournament.

Goleij lost today 

I just read about Golji’s loss

apparently he had asked for a delay due to his injury , but it was not granted.  He fell behind 5-1 and did not continue.

I am not a fan of his, but feel bad for him

Edited by Irani

1 hour ago, Irani said:

I just read about Golji’s loss

apparently he had asked for a delay due to his injury , but it was not granted.  He fell behind 5-1 and did not continue.

I am not a fan of his, but feel bad for him

I honestly haven't followed what the selection cycle is like. They may pull him back in but I doubt it.

It Will be between Kamran and Mohammadian I reckon.  I rate Azarpira but think he is too green to beat these two.

I think these days Kamran is better p4p than Mohammadian. But Mohammadian is good and has that size advantage. I struggle to see Kamran beating him. But if Kamran can't beat him he won't be able to touch the big dogs at 97kg

1 minute ago, Uwwdoc said:

I honestly haven't followed what the selection cycle is like. They may pull him back in but I doubt it.

It Will be between Kamran and Mohammadian I reckon.  I rate Azarpira but think he is too green to beat these two.

I think these days Kamran is better p4p than Mohammadian. But Mohammadian is good and has that size advantage. I struggle to see Kamran beating him. But if Kamran can't beat him he won't be able to touch the big dogs at 97kg

I would not write off Azarpira 

I love Kamran, but I just think he is way too small for 97

he is natural 86, looked small for 92 but his skills overcame his size disadvantage

16 minutes ago, Irani said:

I would not write off Azarpira 

I love Kamran, but I just think he is way too small for 97

he is natural 86, looked small for 92 but his skills overcame his size disadvantage

He is small. I really think he is.

The top brass feel Hassan and Kamran are Iran's best wrestlers though. Which is arguably true. But want them to be in the Olympics badly. They are two 86kg wrestlers. Kamran won't make 86kg again now after bulking. But he's now a 92kg wrestler. Still not a 97kg wrestler.

I'm not writing Azarpira off, I've rated him for a while but even if he beats Mohammadian I don't see him beating Kamran. I imagine Kamran would rather face Azarpira than Mohammadian though.

Azarpira wins nationals at 97 beating Mohammadian!

97kg spot will likely be between him and Kamran now.

Ahmadjavan wins at 57kg. Likely he will take the spot too I guess. The selection cycle was determined by Pejman, I don't know if Mohsen Kaveh will stick to it or not but I assume son.

Interested to see who's gonna win at 86kg nationals. Some big names there, Savadkouhi has gone up, Mobin Azimi has come down. I think Azimi just beat Savadkouhi actually....

2 hours ago, Irani said:

Savadkhouhi defeated Ali Reza Karimi.  Last I read he is going to face Azimi in the finals.

Little Yaz lost in 74 to Adel Panahiam.  Emami is not participating in this event.

I believe it is Savadkouhi vs Vafaei in the finals. But its hard following on socials.

Little Yaz losing is a huge blow for him. Looking like Ahmadjavan, Amouzad, Emami, Kamran/Azarpira and Zare for the team. Obviously there are still challenges.

Yazdani of course too. I would love to see him vs Savadkouhi at 86 with him being cornered by Reza Yazdani. Big stuff.

1 hour ago, Uwwdoc said:

With the latest set of results I imagine the olympians for Paris for Iran may look something like

Ahmadjavan

Amouzad 

Emami

Yazdani

Ghasempour/Azarpira

Zare

Struggling to see anything different at present.

I agree, although I give was Massoumi a 1% chance to upset Zare