Iran wrestling news

3 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

A good bunch of the Iranian fs team are going to be at the first ranking series in Croatia in Feb.

Reza atri, Younes Emami, Savadkouhi, Hasan Yazdani, Azarpira, Zare

Looks like Iran's A team, minus the gold medal winners.

Interesting that they are sending Azarpira.  That may be message of what they think about their best bet for 97 at the olympics

14 minutes ago, Irani said:

Looks like Iran's A team, minus the gold medal winners.

Interesting that they are sending Azarpira.  That may be message of what they think about their best bet for 97 at the olympics

Actually they are just following their own "trial system" based on that:

2022 World Gold medalists are directly qualified for the last round of trials but they have to wrestle in 1 tournament this winter. Ghasempour, Amouzad and A.M. Yazdani just did that. (A. Yazdani is being treated like a gold medalist)

2022 Silver and bronze medalists are qualified for the Takhti Cup but they have to wrestle in 1 tournament this winter. that's why Atri, Emami, Yazdani and Zare are going. Nokhodi didn't need that, he wrestled in Iowa.

everybody else has to wrestle at the nationals to qualify for the Takhti Cup.

after the World Cup they added something new, Savadkouhi and Azarpira (because of their good performance in Iowa) are exempt from the nationals, still they have to fulfill that criteria (participating in another tournament this winter)

that's why these 4+2 guys (and nobody else) are going to Croatia.

and actually if someone reads and follows all interviews, (from coaches, federation members etc) they all indicate that Ghasempour is seriously considering to wrestle at 97kg for the Olympic year.

Edited by wrestfan

2 hours ago, VoriaGhafouri said:

2024 is an Olympic year surely 

Olympic qualifying year. My typo. Albeit things really start to heat up in the latter half of the year. But everyone will have their minds on Paris

Edited by Uwwdoc

2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

2022 World Gold medalists are directly qualified for the last round of trials but they have to wrestle in 1 tournament this winter. Ghasempour, Amouzad and A.M. Yazdani just did that. (A. Yazdani is being treated like a gold medalist)

2022 Silver and bronze medalists are qualified for the Takhti Cup but they have to wrestle in 1 tournament this winter. that's why Atri, Emami, Yazdani and Zare are going. Nokhodi didn't need that, he wrestled in Iowa.

after the World Cup they added something new, Savadkouhi and Azarpira (because of their good performance in Iowa) are exempt from the nationals, still they have to fulfill that criteria (participating in another tournament this winter)

and actually if someone reads and follows all interviews, (from coaches, federation members etc) they all indicate that Ghasempour is seriously considering to wrestle at 97kg for the Olympic year.

Many thanks for clarifying, it makes sense.
Your last point is very interesting.  Ghassempour has a very difficult choice:

1. Try to get passed Hassan, and if he does, he will be a top two contender with a shot at gold
  2. Try to get passed Mohammadian, Goliej, and Azarpira, and if he does, he might have a shot at bronze.  If by then Sadulaev shows up, bronze will be his best-case scenario.

I realize both are very hard tasks, but I think his overall odds at 86 are better.  It sucks that such a talented athlete will most likely not wrestle in the Olympics

11 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Thanks for this. I swear if it wasn’t for the posts in this thread I wouldn’t have a clue what’s going on with the selection process. 

And I know I seem to be in the minority, but to me it’s great news there’s still a chance for Kamran at 97!

10 hours ago, kmrabr said:

Thanks for this. I swear if it wasn’t for the posts in this thread I wouldn’t have a clue what’s going on with the selection process. 

And I know I seem to be in the minority, but to me it’s great news there’s still a chance for Kamran at 97!

We are very privileged to have someone like @wrestfan with his vast wrestling knowledge, and also @uwwdoc with his inside information.

8 hours ago, Irani said:

We are very privileged to have someone like @wrestfan with his vast wrestling knowledge, and also @uwwdoc with his inside information.

Yeah, agree 100%. And with yourself, thegenius, and many other knowledgable posters there is excellent discussion here.

I know there are varying opinions on many subjects outside of wrestling, but at the end of the day we are all hamvatan and am grateful there’s a thread where all can come together to chat about the sport we love like this.

Emperor Cup winner interviews were uploaded yesterday and Otoguro was asked about Amouzad by the Japanese media. 

Said he hadn’t seen his performance at worlds (he talked about how he took some time off away from wrestling after Tokyo) but watched a highlight of his. When pressed for his opinion on Rahman’s wrestling he didn’t really comment saying he hasn’t studied him like that yet. Also said he has to decide with his coach if he’ll be at a ranking event or not (going by Japanese history prob not).

I mean, it’s not much to go on but this is honestly the match I’m most hyped for atm so I’ll take any info I can get.

• 2 weeks later...

just a reminder that the freestyle nationals started today

lots of drama in 97kg first round

Goleij almost got pinned against Ramezanian, somehow survived it.

Ali Shaabani lost badly to Ahmad Bazri (in his 97kg debut)

and most importantly MH Mohammadian simply didn't show up despite being in the draw. apparently he has some sort of injuries. we will see if they will let him wrestle at Takhti Cup or not.

you can watch the whole thing live here

https://www.aparat.com/irankoshti/live

first day finalists

57: Alireza Sarlak vs Reza Momeni
65: Kian Mahmoudjanloo vs Peyman Biabani
74: Amir Hossein Hosseini vs Hossein Abouzari
86: Hadi Vafaeipour vs Alireza Karimi

97: Alireza Rekabi vs Mojtaba Goleij

we had lots of surprises. MS Firouzpour lost to Hosseini, Erfan Elahi lost to the finalist Abouzari. Ezzat Akbati lost to Vafaeipour and Bazri lost to Abdi (who later lost to Rekabi in the semis)

8 hours ago, wrestfan said:

most importantly MH Mohammadian simply didn't show up despite being in the draw. apparently he has some sort of injuries. we will see if they will let him wrestle at Takhti Cup or not.

If he has an injury, then I cannot imagine they would not give him a chance to wrestle at Takhti Cup

13 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

f

we had lots of surprises. MS Firouzpour lost to Hosseini, Erfan Elahi lost to the finalist Abouzari. Ezzat Akbati lost to Vafaeipour and Bazri lost to Abdi (who later lost to Rekabi in the semis)

I am not sure Bazri losing at 97 to anyone is a big Suprise.  He is an 86 Kg wrestler who is trying the next olympic weight after reallizing he does not have a shot at 86

14 minutes ago, Irani said:

If he has an injury, then I cannot imagine they would not give him a chance to wrestle at Takhti Cup

I am not sure Bazri losing at 97 to anyone is a big Suprise.  He is an 86 Kg wrestler who is trying the next olympic weight after reallizing he does not have a shot at 86

Bazri beat Shaabani earlier , that's already an achievement in this weight for him but apparently Shaabani was just bad rather than Bazri being good !

Mohammadian sent his documents (about the injury) to the federation. if they accept it (which I think they will) he will be allowed to wrestle at the Takhti Cup.

same goes to Amir Hossein Firouzpour, who had a hand injury during the World Cup in Iowa (which also weakened him) he won't wrestle tomorrow. and most probably will be allowed to participate in Takhti Cup

19 hours ago, wrestfan said:

first day finalists

57: Alireza Sarlak vs Reza Momeni
65: Kian Mahmoudjanloo vs Peyman Biabani
74: Amir Hossein Hosseini vs Hossein Abouzari
86: Hadi Vafaeipour vs Alireza Karimi

97: Alireza Rekabi vs Mojtaba Goleij

Sarlak, Biabani, Abouzari, Karimi and Goleij won the nationals and will represent Iran at the Asian Championships in India . all of them in close matches except 97kg final which was easy for Goleij. I think Karimi was probably in worst shape of his life. winning lots of close matches including a close 2-2 win in the final.

23 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

last day gold medalists

61 Yasin Rezaei, 70 Morteza Ghiasi, 79 AmirHossein Kavousi, 92 Arashk Mohebbi and 125 AmirReza Masoumi

Yasin Rezaei was the biggest surprise of this competition. very entertaining wrestler with non-existent defense 😀

Thanks for the updates. Did Masoumi wrestle anyone notable? 

USA are sending Cox and Snyder to Croatia Ranking Series so will be good to potentially see Azarpira get tested against top guys like that. I'm high on the kid.

No DT unsurprisingly, but Zahid will be at 86kg so will be cool to see him vs Yazdani.

i find it very hard to see where zahid will have anything at all for yazdani...

i would not mind being wrong, but, i just dont see it... 

to be fair, it is slightly interesting and i might actually watch a free match if they meet up... 

27 minutes ago, LJB said:

i find it very hard to see where zahid will have anything at all for yazdani...

i would not mind being wrong, but, i just dont see it... 

to be fair, it is slightly interesting and i might actually watch a free match if they meet up... 

I also think Hassan wins, but it is still an interesting new bout. Always the same old faces at 86kg. The Americans rate Zahid highly too.

Edited by Uwwdoc

1 hour ago, Uwwdoc said:

I also think Hassan wins, but it is still an interesting new bout. Always the same old faces at 86kg. The Americans rate Zahid highly too.

ha...

yes the americans do rate zahid...

this american does not think much of him one way or the other, but, i feel that way about most free wrestlers...

and yes, i fully understand that is all on me...

15 minutes ago, LJB said:

ha...

yes the americans do rate zahid...

this american does not think much of him one way or the other, but, i feel that way about most free wrestlers...

and yes, i fully understand that is all on me...

Zahid did very well against Karimi, Zahid also had close matches against DT, so he is legit.  I think Hassan will win, but it will not be easy

51 minutes ago, Irani said:

Zahid did very well against Karimi, Zahid also had close matches against DT, so he is legit.  I think Hassan will win, but it will not be easy

Hassan at his peak techs Zahid imo. I have no idea what shape he is in or where he is at mentally at the moment with everything going on. But even a below par Hassan should win.

17 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Hassan at his peak techs Zahid imo. I have no idea what shape he is in or where he is at mentally at the moment with everything going on. But even a below par Hassan should win.

I think that is a bit optimistic, given that DT did not tech Zahid, but I will be very happy if I am proven wrong