IHSAA Proposals

Y2CJ41

I guess that's fine. The process at this point is literally a formality as much of the criteria for the emerging sport process is already met or exceeded, it just hasn't been formally documented. With 37 states already sanctioned, it just feels off that we'd be among the last to "officially" move on this because of paperwork and process issues. Hoping that guidance gets delivered directly to the Athletic Directors and coaches on how to speed this along (e.g., officially indicate that you have or are forming a girls team, have a head coach for said team, where to send that information, etc . . . .)

58 minutes ago, Matt Time said:

I guess that's fine. The process at this point is literally a formality as much of the criteria for the emerging sport process is already met or exceeded, it just hasn't been formally documented. With 37 states already sanctioned, it just feels off that we'd be among the last to "officially" move on this because of paperwork and process issues. Hoping that guidance gets delivered directly to the Athletic Directors and coaches on how to speed this along (e.g., officially indicate that you have or are forming a girls team, have a head coach for said team, where to send that information, etc . . . .)

I don't have the number in front of me exactly and not exactly sure if there are true numbers, but Indiana is easily a top 15 state in terms of girls participation. The IHSAA isn't one to make big splashes and maybe implemented the Emerging Sport status to curb any random group looking to add a sport with very little participation. This is frustrating as we see all these other states add the sport with far less participation. 

5 hours ago, chinwhipper said:

I thought boys volleyball maybe added as an ihsaa boys sport to correspond with adding girls wrestling.  Schools have boys volleyball teams that compete, is that in its emerging phase also?

There is no provision in the IHSAA by-laws that state a boys sport would need to be added. There have been numerous conversations with the IHSAA and they have never mentioned needing to add a boys sport.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.