State Series Team Champs

UncleJimmy

Being a wrestling newbie, with no historical wrestling knowledge to speak of, has there ever been a year where so many teams have a very realistic/conceivable chance to have 3 or more State Champs? I would think if you got 3 you'd be a shoo in but this year there appear to be at least 8 teams that could have that many and a strong possiblitly at least 2 have 3 champs at the end.

#PainTrain...Lee, Mulkey, Walton, Mills, Montgomery

Portage...Macintosh, Moran, Poynter, Rumph, Peele, Washington

Col East..Rooks, Rooks, Combest, Schoenegge, South

Yorktown..Curtis, Rutter, Hunt

Cathedral...Bailey, Mosconi, Slivka, Melloh

Chesterton..Lemley, Davison, Pokorney

PM..Cottey, Fair, Warren

Avon..Garcia, Brewer, Miranda (as an Honorary #<Pound Sign>HendricksCountySmellsFunny member I feel an obligation to include them although #PainTrain is in #<Pound Sign>HendricksCountySmellsFunny)

Seems like it would not be a stretch for any of these teams to have 3 champs, and a distinct possibility that there might be multiple teams of 3 champs since there seems to not be an overlap in teams being strong at the same weight class. When's the last time that happened? My knowledge goes back about 5 years so excuse me if it's a common occurrence and I'm an idiot.

So, if multiple teams do have 3, the placement matches could be pivotal and depth key.

That being said, I think it's Portage's year.

Edited by UncleJimmy

We have had a quite a few years where two teams had two state champs.  In many cases the two from the same school bring within a weight or two of each other.  Good practice partners help.    

But 2003 has to be the last I can think of with 3 or more champs from more than one team.  Griffith with A. Escobedo, Hernandez, A. Tsirtsis three in a row.   And then a couple weights later EMD with weinzapfel, Nosko, Wildeman, Mauer four in a row.  

Somewhere around 2012 or 2013 I believe Perry Meridian had 3 champs. Whenever it was Donte Windfields Senior year. That maybe the last time one team had three champs.

Edited by MattM

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.