Requiem for a Son’s Wrestling Career

Sandan

Ben Krege's senior year was great fun, with Carmel becoming a competitive team and winning the County, the North Central Super 6, Zionsville Sectional, and the North Mont Regional.  Ben wrestled his heart out and was County Champ, MIC Conference Champ, Sectional Champ, and in the regionals was second to Borta.  In the semi-state ticket round, Ben drew Vinnie Corsaro.  Coach Pendoski gave Ben hope – he is a great and inspirational leader - but Vinnie was too much and that was it.

I find myself grieving over the end of this phase of our lives together.  I think about all of the ups and downs, the early mornings, the painful trips to CIA, the cutting weight, the nearly endless grind of lengthy tournaments, and I can’t imagine anyone missing this, but I will and I do and it is hard to accept it is over.  I miss Ben going out on the mat and showing his courage.  I will miss this elemental struggle of heart and will and skill between Ben and an opponent giving everything they’ve got to prevail.  The finality is hard to bear.

But, I am also happy.  Ben has had tremendous experiences and is looking forward to playing his music and pursuing his academic interests.  He has learned many life lessons and become a good man.  I am grateful to this sport and to the people who helped Ben, especially including his mom and sister, Coaches McVey, Simon, Kopnisky, Wegener, Pendoski, and many others, his teammates, his opponents, his training partners, and all the people who have encouraged and supported him.

Terrific post. Driving home from Indy I thought about a post like this I would write. Sandan said so much of what I wanted to say I will thank him for writing this. What a GREAT sport for young men and yes young women. Though the broken bone in his hand that occurred in practice the night before kept him from being competitive, he wouldn't let it keep him from competing. What a great experience this weekend was for my son, our family and friends. I hope its not the highlight of his life but just one of many. Thanks to al that participate in this wonderful activity.

John,

Fantastic post.  I have been through it twice with the older boys in wrestling and 3 more times with the girls and the youngest has now finished his junior season. 

It is starting to sink in just today that after so many years of wrestling in ISWA, high school, and college we are likely 12 months from it all being over (at this point the youngest does not believe that he wants to wrestle in college but that COULD change  ::).)

Not sure how I will take it this time next year.  We have logged nearly 30 years from the time the oldest of our six started her first game on the eighth grade softball team as a 3rd grader through Saturday. 

I guess my wife will start to demand that I get those project done that I have put off for 30 years!!!  No more excuses!  :'(

At least I have one more year! ;D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.