Military Appreciation Night - Castle VS Evansville Memorial on Jan 21st

samaj

RESCHEDULED FOR THURSDAY NIGHT AT CASTLE HIGH SCHOOL DUE TO WEATHER......NOTE LOCATION CHANGE...AT CASTLE

On Tuesday January 21st at Memorial HS, the Castle and Evansville Memorial wrestling programs will once again work together to show our support for those who serve and sacrifice for our great nation.

This will be the second year that we have worked together on this program.  In 2013 we raised roughly $3000 in one night for The Wounded Warrior Project. 

This years event proceeds will go to the Operation: Support On The Homefront foundation.

This years event will include-

what promises to be a very competitive high school dual meet, along with...

Colors will be presented.

Veterans will address each team prematch

both teams will wear special edition camo uniforms.

silent auction for uniforms post match with all proceeds donated.

event tee shirts sold with all proceeds donated

other items still being planned.

If you are a southwestern Indiana wrestling fan please plan to attend this event and help us show what the wrestling community is capable of when we work together.  No other group has the passion that we have and it really shows when we work together.

Hope to see everyone at Memorial on the 21st.

We do this with New Washington as both myself and New Washington Coach are marine vets as well as others on our staff are military veterans.  Only wrinkle we had last year was we had each team have a Veteran represent each team as capt for the coin toss.

This sounds like a great event but why at this met? I am wondering if the turn out is usually large at this met? Would be great if all teams would did this!

No other reason than that the coaching staffs of these two programs got together and decided to do it.  Yes, your right, it would be great if all teams would do this.

We have a larger goal in mind but need to get this event rolling first and then see if the other is possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree it was a good night of wrestling for a great cause.  Gina Moore singing the National Anthem was terrific!

The 170 match did get things going early with some fireworks on the mat and in the corner.  I agree that the coach probably had a good point and probably got the make-up call with the take-down in Overtime.  T.C. had a lot of tough calls to make in that match.  A lot of action on the edge. 

The 120 match was exciting.  Brown seemed to be in control but Arny kept it close and had the "cement mixer" or whatever it's called as time expired.  He just needed a few more seconds.  Arny is hard to hold down and seems to be in great condition.  I'm sure these guys will see a lot of each other in the next few weeks. 

Petrig also gave Schnell a little scare at 138 as time expired.  Schnell looks strong this year.

Great Night Last Night.  I want to thank Castle and their coaching staff for allowing this event to be moved to their school after being postponed on Tuesday.  What a fantastic atmosphere for the wrestlers to get to compete in and all the while doing everything for a great cause.

Thanks to the parents, fans, and other wrestling supporters (Jon H in particular) for coming out and watching.  The crowd was great.  Standing Room Only is always nice!

Good Luck to both teams in the upcoming State Tournament!

Jeff Schaefer

Asst Coach - Evansville Memorial HS

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.