camps versus strength conditioning

charger.dad

I have sent both of my sons to many wrestling camps over the years. All of them have been good in teaching them about wrestling and were worth the money. Few of them though really focus any on strength and conditioning and I guess that is because they are "wrestling" camps. Very few parents think to send their kids to gyms and training facilities that focus on the core strength and conditioning. I personally think this is every bit as important as knowing how to do a double leg or a cradle, or any of the more advanced moves. Too many kids are missing the boat by not getting proper training in the strength area. With that said,  I would take a technical wrestler over a muscle head any day on the mat but a weak technical wrestler could add so much to his aresenal if he would get the proper training.  You see it all to often where a good wrestler gets beat by someone of equal ability who has been strength training properly.

Camps are good, as you noted, for technique. There are actually a few intensive - conditioning/mental toughness - camps out there, but that being said, if you are trying to compete on a high level, getting in shape in June/July/August isn't going to help you much in February's state tournament.

Now certainly you can learn conditioning practices, theories, and learn new ways to better prepare, but to pay someone for that in my opinion is a bit silly. There is a ton of litterature out there about high level conditioning and core strength as it applies to combat etc. I would pay for the high level technique, that's not always somthing you can provide as a father.

I would research and study the conditioning and help my kids on my own - that much you can do. In addition it's worth noting that most high level conditioning is very nutrition centered which plays a role in wrestling quite well. This needs to become more of a lifestyle - not somthing you pick up over the summer. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.