Rio 2016

Coach Hull

Given the Olympics only comes once every four years, added to the success (or lack of) the United States had in comparison to the rest of the world, and with the upcoming H.S. season, I was interested in how this event has changed the perception of Freestyle/Greco/Folkstyle in the Indiana wrestling community...if any.

Thanks and best wishes this season!

It was a lot of fun following the Olympic trials and watching the Olympics live online. Saying that I am so ready for FOLKSTYLE high school and collegiate wrestling to begin. There might be some neat techiques in Greco and Freestyle but to me the whole system of scoring and winning or losing is a very poor determinant of the best wrestler.  Varner loses the ball pull to the Georgian an 80% chance he loses and there goes the chance for the gold. I still don't know what happened in that last period with Herbert when he lost 6-0 but thats above my paygrade.

The whole business of scoring by period,ball pulls, scoring once then hiding the rest of the match just isn't appealing to me as a fan.I do like the push out and the throws. I suppose if you added some freestyle elements to folkstyle and maybe got rid of riding time you would have an ideal competive style that would show the best wrestler when the match was done.

Greco well I didn't see much of it but what I saw seemed always to end up in par terre (spelling ?). Hey these guys are great ,tremendous athletes. Just my 2 cents

It was a lot of fun following the Olympic trials and watching the Olympics live online. Saying that I am so ready for FOLKSTYLE high school and collegiate wrestling to begin. There might be some neat techiques in Greco and Freestyle but to me the whole system of scoring and winning or losing is a very poor determinant of the best wrestler.  Varner loses the ball pull to the Georgian an 80% chance he loses and there goes the chance for the gold. I still don't know what happened in that last period with Herbert when he lost 6-0 but thats above my paygrade.

The whole business of scoring by period,ball pulls, scoring once then hiding the rest of the match just isn't appealing to me as a fan.I do like the push out and the throws. I suppose if you added some freestyle elements to folkstyle and maybe got rid of riding time you would have an ideal competive style that would show the best wrestler when the match was done.

Greco well I didn't see much of it but what I saw seemed always to end up in par terre (spelling ?). Hey these guys are great ,tremendous athletes. Just my 2 cents

I have to agree with this. You should win/lose/score on the mat, not by "ball pull". It's just not as exciting as folkstyle in my opinion. The one thing I would take and add to folkstyle is for sure the push out rule. I think that would keep the kids in the middle more and add another opportunity for the more aggressive wrestler to score.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.